Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

When a profile smells fishy, simply grab a phrase of text that sounds odd and Google it with quotes such as this one:

"I am not an angry person, and I am not interested in someone that is. Having past events shape your life is one thing, carrying the past as a burden that sits heavily upon your shoulders is not the way I view life."

If the exact wording appears on multiple profiles throughout the web, it's clearly suspect and you should avoid emailing them and report the profile to Catholic Match.

Please, before some rule-bound person tells me I should not be pasting text from a Catholic Match profile into this forum window, be aware that I did not do that. The above mentioned text was copied from http://www.scamwarners.com

What I'm posting here is helpful so that people remain vigilant against dating scams. The technique is quite obvious to me but might not be so obvious to others.

May 5th 2013 new

Thanks for the tip...what exactly is behind the dating scam? I am not getting it...why create a fake profile?

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Olivia-937761 said: Thanks for the tip...what exactly is behind the dating scam? I am not getting it...why create a ...
(Quote) Olivia-937761 said:

Thanks for the tip...what exactly is behind the dating scam? I am not getting it...why create a fake profile?

--hide--

Olivia,

on the whole scammers are out simply to get your money. They generally come on strong and all lovey dovey. They are hoping to catch someone vulnerable. They will create profiles that match your wants and usually supply some fantastic photos then coupled with the declarations of love etc, snag the vulnerable and then move on to the requests for money, or phone cards that cost like four hundred dollars. They sometimes create profiles of military personnel, or are widowers with small children etc. . .things that will pull on your heartstrings. If you balk at sending money they will come back trying to make you feel bad by saying things like I cant believe you would make a child suffer, I just dont know you at all, I can't believe you don't believe me etc. You usually can't actually talk with them on the site but have to move over to yahoo messenger or something else.

A big warning sign is that their language command is usually pretty poor and their statements will read badly. After you've seen a few, they use the same basic wording and premise, copy and pasted often. They will play off of things you say. . .like my first encounter with one, took my suggestion that his poor son living with an elderly uncle while he was deployed to Afghanistan had an appendicitis. A number of issues with this one. . .his grammar, his odd description of his rank, the fact that his child's care and welfare wasn't buttoned up, that he couldn't access his own funds, etc. Not to mention had his son actually had an appendicitis he would have been dead as long as it was taking to get him treated :-). He hinted at $1500 I didn't say anything, he came back a couple of days later and said they had gotten all but $350 of it could I help with that. I said absolutely, give me your son's full name, the name of the hospital, the name of the surgeon and I will call the billing office right now and take care of the balance. smile . Of course that was unacceptable, his uncle was very proud and I just needed to send the money straight to him. . . then came the accusations of making a child suffer etc. I told him this is how I can help, I can do it no other way. In the meantime my son had managed to get the guy to email him and he turned it in to their security officer. . .the guy was actually in South Africa. there is also a group that works in the states and the phone numbers might be Wisconsin and the emails routing from California but they are supposed to be in New York or overseas on a private contract - often to build bridges. At times the language will change enough that you are certain you are talking to more than one person and you probably are.

Some of these guys hit pretty hard and fast within a week or so and others can drag it out for several months, but it inevitably comes. They will also avoid answering any direct questions you put to them. and, often when you google their names or their emails you will find both online in other scam warnings and the letters are often verbatim.

With a fake profile they end up being pretty much invisible and can disappear only to reapper again under a similar but different name. So far since I started the online thing about five months ago, I have had about twenty scammers. Getting pretty good at noticing them right off the bat. From CM only one or two that I was suspicious of and they disappeared as quickly as they appeared.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: When a profile smells fishy, simply grab a phrase of text that sounds odd and Google it with quote...
(Quote) Mike-905381 said:

When a profile smells fishy, simply grab a phrase of text that sounds odd and Google it with quotes such as this one:

"I am not an angry person, and I am not interested in someone that is. Having past events shape your life is one thing, carrying the past as a burden that sits heavily upon your shoulders is not the way I view life."

If the exact wording appears on multiple profiles throughout the web, it's clearly suspect and you should avoid emailing them and report the profile to Catholic Match.

Please, before some rule-bound person tells me I should not be pasting text from a Catholic Match profile into this forum window, be aware that I did not do that. The above mentioned text was copied from http://www.scamwarners.com

What I'm posting here is helpful so that people remain vigilant against dating scams. The technique is quite obvious to me but might not be so obvious to others.

--hide--

That is really good to know. I have had that happen to me a few times. Not nice! Have actually had a few emoticons appear and then the next day the profile was unavailable. Odd. Thanks for your input.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Olivia, on the whole scammers are out simply to get your money. They ge...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Olivia,

on the whole scammers are out simply to get your money. They generally come on strong and all lovey dovey. They are hoping to catch someone vulnerable. They will create profiles that match your wants and usually supply some fantastic photos then coupled with the declarations of love etc, snag the vulnerable and then move on to the requests for money, or phone cards that cost like four hundred dollars. They sometimes create profiles of military personnel, or are widowers with small children etc. . .things that will pull on your heartstrings. If you balk at sending money they will come back trying to make you feel bad by saying things like I cant believe you would make a child suffer, I just dont know you at all, I can't believe you don't believe me etc. You usually can't actually talk with them on the site but have to move over to yahoo messenger or something else.

A big warning sign is that their language command is usually pretty poor and their statements will read badly. After you've seen a few, they use the same basic wording and premise, copy and pasted often. They will play off of things you say. . .like my first encounter with one, took my suggestion that his poor son living with an elderly uncle while he was deployed to Afghanistan had an appendicitis. A number of issues with this one. . .his grammar, his odd description of his rank, the fact that his child's care and welfare wasn't buttoned up, that he couldn't access his own funds, etc. Not to mention had his son actually had an appendicitis he would have been dead as long as it was taking to get him treated :-). He hinted at $1500 I didn't say anything, he came back a couple of days later and said they had gotten all but $350 of it could I help with that. I said absolutely, give me your son's full name, the name of the hospital, the name of the surgeon and I will call the billing office right now and take care of the balance. . Of course that was unacceptable, his uncle was very proud and I just needed to send the money straight to him. . . then came the accusations of making a child suffer etc. I told him this is how I can help, I can do it no other way. In the meantime my son had managed to get the guy to email him and he turned it in to their security officer. . .the guy was actually in South Africa. there is also a group that works in the states and the phone numbers might be Wisconsin and the emails routing from California but they are supposed to be in New York or overseas on a private contract - often to build bridges. At times the language will change enough that you are certain you are talking to more than one person and you probably are.

Some of these guys hit pretty hard and fast within a week or so and others can drag it out for several months, but it inevitably comes. They will also avoid answering any direct questions you put to them. and, often when you google their names or their emails you will find both online in other scam warnings and the letters are often verbatim.

With a fake profile they end up being pretty much invisible and can disappear only to reapper again under a similar but different name. So far since I started the online thing about five months ago, I have had about twenty scammers. Getting pretty good at noticing them right off the bat. From CM only one or two that I was suspicious of and they disappeared as quickly as they appeared.

--hide--

That's pretty scary. Sorry that happened.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Martha-962236 said: That's pretty scary. Sorry that happened.
(Quote) Martha-962236 said:

That's pretty scary. Sorry that happened.

--hide--

HI Martha,

I wasn't scared but I was pretty irked lol. And, now I head them off at the pass. If the guy had an idea of where I lived or something I would have been scared but he didn't.

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: With a fake profile they end up being pretty much invisible and can d...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

--hide--

Good information. I become suspicious when they ask for email or phone number in the profile or in the first message, although some people do that who don't want to pay for membership, so it's not an absolute. The typical ones I get are muscle showing, too young men who want to assure me that age is not a problem, who live far from me, and who absolutely adore me from just looking at my picture. Type two is someone who clearly has problems with English, and has a job that takes them out of the US frequently; one even described his perfect mate as a "he" instead of a "she". Almost all of them want your personal info up front; ie email, phone, address etc. Most of them post pictures of extremely good looking men, some age appropriate and some not. Some have incomes of $100,000 or more, doctorates or masters and houses all over the world, yet have trouble forming a sentence correctly. Those are clues that can help you not answer to begin with. Clues to the more sophisticated ones who are more subtle and seem real at first are the anxiousness to get your personal information too quickly. After the football player scam some people were pushing Face to Face meetings quickly. I still warn against that because it causes people to give out personal data too soon, and I think online through the site communication still should be lengthy to wear the scammer out if thats what they are. The general rule for me is: if they are too good looking and love me too fast and want to get off the site too soon be suspicious.

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Martha-962236 said:That is really good to know. I have had that happen to me a few times. Not nice! Have actually had a...
(Quote) Martha-962236 said:
That is really good to know. I have had that happen to me a few times. Not nice! Have actually had a few emoticons appear and then the next day the profile was unavailable. Odd. Thanks for your input.

--hide--

Oh weird! Is that what that is..? I just had that happen today for the first time, but the 'person' did my quiz.

May 6th 2013 new

If the profile disappears quickly, often it's because someone else realized they were a scammer and created a Help Ticket. CM Admin moves fast on them.

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: If the profile disappears quickly, often it's because someone else realized they were a scamm...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

If the profile disappears quickly, often it's because someone else realized they were a scammer and created a Help Ticket. CM Admin moves fast on them.

--hide--

But they check into it first, correct?

Posts 1 - 10 of 37