Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

May 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: The main thing I have learned over all the years is that our church comes alive when we are in co...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

The main thing I have learned over all the years is that our church comes alive when we are in community.

Community exists when we are with one another and when we get together.

I can guarantee you that if I lived in Los Angeles (Long Beach) where I used to live, I would be getting together with people from this site down there. I don't sense the same openness with people from CM up here, and people are further apart up here.

--hide--
I couldn't have said it better myself!! (nice) Mike "Peace"!! clap

May 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: The main thing I have learned over all the years...
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

The main thing I have learned over all the years is that our church comes alive when we are in community.

Community exists when we are with one another and when we get together.

I can guarantee you that if I lived in Los Angeles (Long Beach) where I used to live, I would be getting together with people from this site down there. I don't sense the same openness with people from CM up here, and people are further apart up here.

I couldn't have said it better myself!! (nice) Mike "Peace"!!

--hide--

YES. So when we isolate, nothing is very easy, and we also feel less important. When we meet up and form community, everything operates better. Community is something I began to learn about in the 80's. WE can build that even though we are single in our parishes.

May 2nd 2013 new

Speaking for myself only, my church more than welcomed me since I was single and retired. Because I did have a lot of free time on my hands, there was no lack of activities to become involved in. Married people often have family responsibilities that keep them from volunteering as much as they would like and seniors (older than me) have come to a point where enough is enough. Do I feel like a 2nd class citizen? Absolutely not. Whatever services I give unselfishly to my parish is returned with accolades and enormous gratitude.

May 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marjorie-953841 said: Speaking for myself only, my church more than welcomed me since I was single and
(Quote) Marjorie-953841 said:

Speaking for myself only, my church more than welcomed me since I was single and retired. Because I did have a lot of free time on my hands, there was no lack of activities to become involved in. Married people often have family responsibilities that keep them from volunteering as much as they would like and seniors (older than me) have come to a point where enough is enough. Do I feel like a 2nd class citizen? Absolutely not. Whatever services I give unselfishly to my parish is returned with accolades and enormous gratitude.

--hide--

SWEET.

May 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:Yet, I can't say I have felt less welcome in the church being single. I would say the church is...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:
Yet, I can't say I have felt less welcome in the church being single. I would say the church is probably more welcoming and understanding of singles than society as a whole.

I wonder what others think....

--hide--

Reading this make me feel blessed that Im really doing well in my single life as I serve in my community and our parish priest supported us too.

The irony is while you guys wanted to be in service in the church, while here they have their own personal interest like schooling (they are mostly highschooler or college and they feel more compelled to finish first before joining) or working at night . Only those who feel the calling to serve comes. It's been the struggle over the year of how to increase the members. I just had my one on one dialogue last night with my leader on how to sustain the growth of remaining members so I think we'll pray more for those participants to attend in the future.

And no, we are not 2nd class citizens. We are just doing our best, our time, talent and treasure to fulfilll our remaining single life. If you are happy being a single person right now, you'll be happy being married too.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Many parishes are limited in what they can offer to different categories of its members. It seems t...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Many parishes are limited in what they can offer to different categories of its members. It seems the emphasis is on the mainstream membership -- adult, married Catholics, who I assume constitute the majority of Church membership. There are so many other groups that don't always appear to get as much attention -- the elderly; sick/homebound; unemployed; divorced/separated; adult singles; and young people. Fortunately a number of parishes have some programs to include the aforementioned categories. The Church certainly doesn't intend to neglect any particular person or group of persons, but each parish is limited as far as personnel and resources are concerned.

In general though, there is a welcoming atmosphere in most Churches and all are treated equally in that sense.

A suggestion to those who feel a particular group is being ignored -- volunteer to start a program. That doesn't necessarily involve running it -- just assembling a particular group to see if there is enough interest, then to find a leader for that group. Our own parish offers several programs and activities for youthful Catholics; we have visits (including Communion) to the hospitalized and homebound -- also phone calls to those on a sick-list; a bereavement program, and sessions for divorced/separated Catholics. Not all of them are full-time, year-round programs but they are helpful to those who find themselves in a particular situation described above.

Some homilies are geared toward certain groups, or at least include them as a form of recognition, and acknowledgement of their existence and appreciation of their unique sets of problems.

Some Church organizations are open to all, no matter what their age or marital status might be. Volunteering is a good way to receive added blessings and benefits, although that isn't the primary goal of participating.

--hide--

I think Ray has a good point. If we want our local parishes to help single people build connections then we have to take actions to create that. The reason that parishes have different ministries is to help bring different groups closer to God. If single catholics want that then we should take initiative to build these groups. I am completely guilty of complaining without taking action. Our church had a singles group, but the "leaders" all got married and no one took over so it disappeared. A new group has been started but it is for 18-30 year olds. In my Diocese there are other parishes with Single Catholics groups for 45+. Consequently I am stuck somewhere in the middle. If I want that to change I need to take steps to reach out and make changes. At this point I have focused on other faith opportunities, but realize that ultimately I am responsible for any disconnection I feel in my parish.

Posts 61 - 66 of 66