Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retaliate, Israel will
be crushed.

Secondly, this is one of the most confusing conflicts I have noticed in this day and age.

Remember the adage, the "enemy of my enemy is my friend." In the case of Syria and its rebel uprising,
enemy and friend are hard to define.

Lastly, Bashar should remain in place. Even though he is a dictator, we have no right to go in and overturn
a sovereign country (even though we did it in the past). Bashar was better for America than the unknowns
who may take the helm in the future.

If Syria falls, it can not mean anything good for the surrounding area and for non-Muslims. The rebels are
not the Syrian people. These are outsiders who came in with guns and ammunition. Syrians were too poor
under Bashar to afford guns and ammunition. Bashar has a lot of money and will use that money to fight
for a long time.

I don't think this can be classified as a civil war anymore. It is a mess though. And so many are dying
there.

May 6th 2013 new

What about reports that Bashar is using chemical weapons on his citizens? Or the women and children that are dying under his orders?

It seems like you're taking an approach that Bashar is the lesser of two evils, the greater evil being the unknown. From what I understand, the rebels want freedom, a government without a dictator. And thus it's possible (not sure how probable) that the next government would be better for the U.S. However, I don't think we can value Syrian lives in a cost-benefit analysis to American foreign policy when judging whether a dictator should remain in power. We can do so when American lives would be at risk in an intervention though (I hope the difference makes sense).

As for why Israel bombed Syria, they have stated all along that if Syria tried to make an arms transfer to Hezbollah (a anti-Israel Lebonese group). And unlike our country, they didn't back down when that line was crossed.

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retal...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retaliate, Israel will
be crushed.

Secondly, this is one of the most confusing conflicts I have noticed in this day and age.

Remember the adage, the "enemy of my enemy is my friend." In the case of Syria and its rebel uprising,

Lastly, Bashar should remain in place. Even though he is a dictator, we have no right to go in and overturn
a sovereign country (even though we did it in the past). Bashar was better for America than the unknowns

If Syria falls, it can not mean anything good for the surrounding area and for non-Muslims. The rebels are
not the Syrian people. These are outsiders who came in with guns and ammunition. Syrians were too poor
under Bashar to afford guns and ammunition. Bashar has a lot of money and will use that money to fight
for a long time.

I don't think this can be classified as a civil war anymore. It is a mess though. And so many are dying
there.

--hide--
Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries has not worked. It is not working in Iraq and cannot possibly work in Afghanistan. Look what American meddling accomplished in Iran. If and when we finally get through our thick skulls that we are not helping and butt out, the dust will settle and the region will find it's own way. It may be ugly to our eyes, but it will be of their design. One of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century:

www.bbc.co.uk

May 6th 2013 new

The crazies in Israel (i.e., Bibi) are probably trying to lead the US into a full-scale intervention. If Israel gets attacked in response to its attacks on Syria, then the US will have to get involved, or more involved than it already is. It is hard to believe anything anymore. I wouldn't put it past Bibi and his nutjob followers to stage an attack inside Israel and blame the attack on Iran or Syria. Israel is notorious for false flag attacks, a tactic undoubtedly learned from the British.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: What about reports that Bashar is using chemical weapons on his citizens? Or the women and ch...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

What about reports that Bashar is using chemical weapons on his citizens? Or the women and children that are dying under his orders?

It seems like you're taking an approach that Bashar is the lesser of two evils, the greater evil being the unknown. From what I understand, the rebels want freedom, a government without a dictator. And thus it's possible (not sure how probable) that the next government would be better for the U.S. However, I don't think we can value Syrian lives in a cost-benefit analysis to American foreign policy when judging whether a dictator should remain in power. We can do so when American lives would be at risk in an intervention though (I hope the difference makes sense).

As for why Israel bombed Syria, they have stated all along that if Syria tried to make an arms transfer to Hezbollah (a anti-Israel Lebonese group). And unlike our country, they didn't back down when that line was crossed.

--hide--

First of all, what Bashar is doing is trying to get his Government back in control. He did not start the revolution. Plenty of
people are getting killed on both sides. To blame him for all the deaths would be slightly inaccurate.

I have no idea what you mean in the next sentence by 'valuing Syrian lives in a cost-benefit analysis to American foreign
policy.'

So far on the news, it was not clear that the reason why Israel attacked Syria was because of an arms transfer by Syria to
Lebanon. Maybe you get different news than we get over here.

You chose to use America's backing down from its supposed red line as a negative. We really do not know if chemical weapons
have been used. And the leader of our country should constantly re-access situations. It is easy to make a statement as
far as "red lines" go, but it is not at all easy to become involved in another battle. Too many young people your age are in
the military. We have asked too much of them already. We need to worry about America.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries has not worked. It is not working in Iraq and cannot possibly work in Afghanistan. Look what American meddling accomplished in Iran. If and when we finally get through our thick skulls that we are not helping and butt out, the dust will settle and the region will find it's own way. It may be ugly to our eyes, but it will be of their design. One of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century:

www.bbc.co.uk

--hide--

Peter, it makes no sense to say that one of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat
of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century.

It says right in the reference you gave that the Empire was almost ended by that time. It also said that Jihad
was a main philosophy of the Empire.

So, what are you suggesting. It makes no sense to me.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: The crazies in Israel (i.e., Bibi) are probably trying to lead the US into a full-scale interventi...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

The crazies in Israel (i.e., Bibi) are probably trying to lead the US into a full-scale intervention. If Israel gets attacked in response to its attacks on Syria, then the US will have to get involved, or more involved than it already is. It is hard to believe anything anymore. I wouldn't put it past Bibi and his nutjob followers to stage an attack inside Israel and blame the attack on Iran or Syria. Israel is notorious for false flag attacks, a tactic undoubtedly learned from the British.

--hide--

Israel is getting ready for retaliation it seems. You are right that the US might end up defending Israel. I
don't think that we will get involved right away though.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retal...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

be crushed.

for a long time.

there.

--hide--

Are they really ? :( I've been praying the Rosary for Syria everyday. Israel though - they don't joke around. If they feel threatened they do respond - small country as they are. Israel are the ones who trained the US in counter terrorism. I know it's really really bad in Syria.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: Are they really ? :( I've been praying the Rosary for Syria everyday. Israel tho...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

Are they really ? :( I've been praying the Rosary for Syria everyday. Israel though - they don't joke around. If they feel threatened they do respond - small country as they are. Israel are the ones who trained the US in counter terrorism. I know it's really really bad in Syria.

--hide--

Reena: It is a bad situation all around. Yes, Israel has been dealing with terrorism for many years, and has
helped us.

May 7th 2013 new

To my understanding, the reports of Bashar using chemical weapons on his subjects are not credible.

Posts 1 - 10 of 192