Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 07 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: LOL! Hmmmm....does "BB" stand for anything? What's the old saying? "Bean Br......
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

LOL! Hmmmm....does "BB" stand for anything? What's the old saying? "Bean Br..."? I AM just kidding now! But I DID have a full-blooded Weimareiner. And although we named her "Heidi" we COULD have named her something along those lines. She would do just as your "BB" would do....plunge head-long into everything. One time she tore her ear trying to get under my next door neighbors chain-link fence. I don't (for the life of me) know why...he didn't have a pet...she just wanted on that side! After we took her to the animal hospital the vet said "She'll be all right..but you are going to laugh when you see her" Out walked "Heidi" with that one ear fully bandaged...but sticking straight out! She looked like she was making a left turn!! Anyway she bounded out like nothing had ever happened! How did this happen? I got WAY off tangent here

--hide--

BB is short for Butterball, because he was such a chubby little pup, and then he got really sleek, then we neutered them and he packed on the pounds again. Their mother was a weimareiner, we think lol. BB just spent three weeks in the animal hospital because he cut his foot nearly off getting it caught on the fence, when he went racing over there to bark at the big Shepherds next door and race he fence with them. His favorite pasttime lol. They had managed to make a little dip beneath the fence where they could see each other and as he took off he caught it on the bottom of the fence. You would think he was this totally fierce guy and he is protective, but our eight pound cat makes him tremble lol. Last night she tapped his leg as he tried to get on the bed, she has a claw that is always getting caught and it caught him right behind the knee. He froze and started whimpering. Adeline was trying to get her claw out of his leg, when they did break apart, he climbed behind me trying to be small, too funny, he weighs almost 70 pounds lol

May 08 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: These opportunities present themselves all the time: I was flying back from S. Texas and the flig...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

These opportunities present themselves all the time: I was flying back from S. Texas and the flight was delayed an hour. All who boarded including (yours truly) were tired...or at least looked that way. (I was!) I had taken my customary aisle seat and was about to "buckle up" A lady of perhaps 50...maybe younger was going to take the seat across the aisle from me. She was dragging a carry-on...as well as her purse. She DID indeed look tired herself....especially when she looked down and thought of "hoisting" this bag in one of the overhead bins. So I got up and said, "Here, let me get that for you" "Oh gosh, thank you so much...careful it's heavy" So I picked it up...OOPS! Was it ever heavy! (started to ask her if she was in the BRICK business!) I stowed it away and said, "You're welcome" When the plane landed....I looked across the aisle and she was looking at me ha! I knew then I would be getting it down for her...and did. "You are a life saver...thank you!" she said. How this petite lady was "lugging" this heavy item around was beyond me...unless others helped her or, she had a WHOLE LOT more strength earler...but whatever the case...that's what happened!~

--hide--

This reminds me of the first time I flew with my son. He was about 5 months old and it was just the two of us. I was standing in line with the "Heard" on Southwest. I had a diaper bag and probably a purse and another carry-on, a baby and a stroller. I was trying to get my stroller into the bag so it could be checked at the gate. I had a man not only put it into the bag for me, but carried it through the heard and all the way to end of the jetway. I Had heard so many negative things about traveling with babies this was totally unexpected.

I don't think I have ever traveled without someone offering to help me put my bag in the overhead bins.

May 08 new

(Quote) Kate-806727 said: This reminds me of the first time I flew with my son. He was about 5 months old ...
(Quote) Kate-806727 said:

This reminds me of the first time I flew with my son. He was about 5 months old and it was just the two of us. I was standing in line with the "Heard" on Southwest. I had a diaper bag and probably a purse and another carry-on, a baby and a stroller. I was trying to get my stroller into the bag so it could be checked at the gate. I had a man not only put it into the bag for me, but carried it through the heard and all the way to end of the jetway. I Had heard so many negative things about traveling with babies this was totally unexpected.

I don't think I have ever traveled without someone offering to help me put my bag in the overhead bins.

--hide--
How very kind of that gentleman! You are right when I think about it....I have seen it happen so many times. I was once traveling and saw a young lady do the same thing for an older lady....who was very grateful~

May 08 new

Jerry I love what you have written. Am a Southern girl from a small town and the rules there are the same as always. Men hold doors for ladies and open car doors for them. If it is raining the ladies are dropped at the entry door. People are friendly and engage in small talk in the check-out lines. Yes m'am and no sir are responses to ladies and gentleman if from a child to adult or adult to elder. And my favorite is gentleman wear ties to church and fresh pressed clothes. It might be old fashioned but I do carry all this in my daily life. Guess learning to balance the Emily Post Etiquette book on my head for posture rubbed into my brain lol.
But I have to ask you, since you are a couteous gentleman, what do you find is the best response online when not interested in a lady? Some people ignore but that seems rude. I am new and not sure about this one. Would like you advice from a male perspective.

May 08 new

(Quote) Annette-969665 said: Jerry I love what you have written. Am a Southern girl from a small town and the rules there ar...
(Quote) Annette-969665 said:

Jerry I love what you have written. Am a Southern girl from a small town and the rules there are the same as always. Men hold doors for ladies and open car doors for them. If it is raining the ladies are dropped at the entry door. People are friendly and engage in small talk in the check-out lines. Yes m'am and no sir are responses to ladies and gentleman if from a child to adult or adult to elder. And my favorite is gentleman wear ties to church and fresh pressed clothes. It might be old fashioned but I do carry all this in my daily life. Guess learning to balance the Emily Post Etiquette book on my head for posture rubbed into my brain lol.
But I have to ask you, since you are a couteous gentleman, what do you find is the best response online when not interested in a lady? Some people ignore but that seems rude. I am new and not sure about this one. Would like you advice from a male perspective.

--hide--
Thank you for posting Annette....and btw, welcome to the forums! And I have to say I AM guilty of not always wearing a tie to Mass. I DO on special occasions, but perhaps need to "re-group" on that one. I am also guilty of not always pulling the chair back for my guest at a restaurant (Jerry you are bad!) So...I need some work! As far as your question: I have said, "Thank you for viewing. however your qualities might be a better match for some else. Good Luck and God bless" And, "Thank you so much for viewing...but I do not feel we are a match. Good luck to you"

May 08 new

Thanks, Jerry that is a very good response to send and I might borrow from it. -Annette

May 08 new

I know several young men at the gym where I belong. When I say YOUNG...that can represent a wide range laughing (since I'm so much older than many of them) But there are at least 3 or 4 who work out regularly and appear to be in their late twenties to mid-thirties. We exchange greetings when we are going through the "circuit" of machines...and free weights. What IS so courteous/mannerly (there's those two words again!) is when they do see me....out of deference for me...they will say..."Here you first Pop" or, "Sir, here you go...we saved the machine for ya" And I good-naturedly will tease them about the "Pop" part! (thinking of my own thirty-somethings!) And if a lady happens to be over there...they ARE ALL courteous and allow them to go first. One gentleman who I DO know is 42 was asked by a young lady if he would "spot" her on the bench! He did~

May 08 new

I went to a college where chivalry was a pretty big deal. The women seemed to be very appreciative.

May 08 new

(Quote) Annette-969665 said: Jerry I love what you have written. Am a Southern girl from a small town and the rules there ar...
(Quote) Annette-969665 said:

--hide--

Wow- I love that! Old fashioned manners and basic charity toward God and man!

This is a great thread, some heart-warming stories here.. I'll come back when I'm having a bad day ;)

May 08 new

(Quote) Patrick-858671 said: I went to a college where chivalry was a pretty big deal. The women seemed to be very appreciat...
(Quote) Patrick-858671 said:

I went to a college where chivalry was a pretty big deal. The women seemed to be very appreciative.

--hide--
Thank you Patrick for posting. After seeing all of the wonderful contributions to this thread....I would say a large group of ladies would vote "yes" to "chivalry" I know this. (and I'm not preaching to you Patrick) most men will not see ladies reciprocate courtesy, manners etc unless THEY possess these attributes! (IMO)the CHANCES of even going out with someone...especially 1st and 2nd date go down considerably if we/they aren't courteous from the start~

Posts 131 - 140 of 188