Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May procession

May 01 new

Do Catholic school children still do the May procession on the 1st of May? One of my favorite memories was the ceremony where we put a garland of flowers on the statue of the Virgin Mary while singing "Queen of the roses, Queen of the May". Statue was next to a fountain in an open plaza. It was beautiful. rose rosary

May 02 new

The Catholic school at my parish in Indianapolis still does this. The statue of the Blessed Mother is outdoors in a small garden area, so the people in the neighborhood had see & hear this lovely ritual.

May 02 new

Thanks, Carol. I also found the song online www.fisheaters.com

I think Queen of Roses would work too though since we dedicate the rosary to her! rose rosary

It's nice to know the tradition continues. smile

May 03 new

(Quote) Deborah-125957 said: Do Catholic school children still do the May procession on the 1st of May? One of my favorite m...
(Quote) Deborah-125957 said:

Do Catholic school children still do the May procession on the 1st of May? One of my favorite memories was the ceremony where we put a garland of flowers on the statue of the Virgin Mary while singing "Queen of the roses, Queen of the May". Statue was next to a fountain in an open plaza. It was beautiful.

--hide--

We don't have a church school, but on the first Saturday of May (i.e. tomorrow) at the 5:00 pm Mass the children of our mostly-Polish parish celebrate "Majowka" by bringing flowers to the Blessed Virgin while singing in Polish and wearing ethnic Polish dresses and clothes.

May 03 new

That is beautiful Michael! Our parish does the same thing for May 1st and for Corpus Christi Love it!!!! Our pastor before this one is Polish so he invited anyone in Polish dress to join, he know teaches at the seminary, but out current Pastor still encourages it. It is beautiful!!!

May 03 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: We don't have a church school, but on the first Saturday of May (i.e. tomorrow) at t...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

We don't have a church school, but on the first Saturday of May (i.e. tomorrow) at the 5:00 pm Mass the children of our mostly-Polish parish celebrate "Majowka" by bringing flowers to the Blessed Virgin while singing in Polish and wearing ethnic Polish dresses and clothes.

--hide--

Michael & Jane: How I envy you--I'm Polish & I love this kind of thing where people dress up. When I was growing up in a 99% Polish neighborhood & going to the parish school taught by the Polish nuns, we didn't do this!!! I'm glad to see that the traditions are continuing in various places around the country.

On Christmas Day I went to the Polish Mass at a parish in Salt Lake City. It was hard to follow because I've lost my fluency in the language, but I wanted most of all to hear the kolendy sung.

May 03 new

One of my life-list items is to visit Krakow on the Feast of Corpus Christi, to watch and join in the huge procession there... and eat some real pierogi and kielbasa, but that is another story embarassed

May 03 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: One of my life-list items is to visit Krakow on the Feast of Corpus Christi, to watch and join i...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

One of my life-list items is to visit Krakow on the Feast of Corpus Christi, to watch and join in the huge procession there... and eat some real pierogi and kielbasa, but that is another story

--hide--

Michael, I'd just be happy to visit Poland at any time of the year--but on that particular feast day, that would be very good.

May 08 new

Tonight I was honored to attend the May Crowning at my parish & where my grandson goes to school.

The 8th grade girls were dressed in long gowns. They each had a garland in their hair & they each wore a white long-sleeved bolero to cover their shoulders & arms. All the kids were dressed in their very best clothes.

We prayed the rosary, sang some beautiful Marian songs & had benediction. A lovely evening all in all.

May 09 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: Tonight I was honored to attend the May Crowning at my parish & where my grandson goes to sch...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Tonight I was honored to attend the May Crowning at my parish & where my grandson goes to school.

The 8th grade girls were dressed in long gowns. They each had a garland in their hair & they each wore a white long-sleeved bolero to cover their shoulders & arms. All the kids were dressed in their very best clothes.

We prayed the rosary, sang some beautiful Marian songs & had benediction. A lovely evening all in all.

--hide--

That's beautiful! rose

Posts 1 - 10 of 10