Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 6th 2013 new

Also, I HIGHLY recommend free wlaking tours in every single European city you ever visit. It's the first thing I ever do in a city because they're usually 2-3 hours in the morning and it really helps you orrient yourself and figure out things you want to see for a relatively low cost (they ask for a tip at the end).

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Heya! I actually live in Europe right now and did a whirlwind trip through Paris and London (...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

Heya! I actually live in Europe right now and did a whirlwind trip through Paris and London (2 days in London and three in Paris). And three years ago I spent a week in Rome If you send me a message, I'll send you links to my blog that kind of go over everything . I can't do it right now because I'm on my phone and still haven't figured out how to copy and paste URLs!

A great website to meet locals is http://www.couchsurfing.com. I've never stayed at someone's place before, but I use it often to meet up with someone in the area for a "local" dinner or lunch.

--hide--

Hi Stephanie, thanks! I'll give you a ping! You live in Europe? How exciting!! I'm happy to take your advice. Thank you!!

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Tell everyone you're Canadian. You'll be treated a lot nicer.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Tell everyone you're Canadian. You'll be treated a lot nicer.

--hide--

laughing That was actually my plan once, but I thankfully didn't need to use it!

One time in England I was told by a German woman that I sound Canadian. I guess my accent is different enough from the Hollywood American accent that I seem a bit abnormal!

May 7th 2013 new

The British Museum in London is great, and I especially liked the room of clocks and watches. You could always go to a show on the West End at night to fill up that time. I've been to London a few times but only once as a tourist, so unfortunately I don't have many great touristy suggestions!

When I was in Paris I was able to go to the Palais Garnier (the opera house where the Phantom lived, and I saw Box 5!), the Louvre, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame in one day. I skipped the monuments because, well, there's not much to do at them beyond looking at them.

May 8th 2013 new

Don't laugh, but make sure you read the street before crossing at a crosswalk in London! The London Eye is great! Take in a show on the West End. They have ticket sellers out on street day of performance. Rome is wonderful! Take one day for Vatican. Europe is crazy busy in July, so start all places early. I would buy all my tickets online beforehand, usually cheaper, and didn't have to wait in long lines to buy tickets. Have fun!

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi CMers , I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it&...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Hi CMers ,
I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my first time abroad! I'm very excited but I have so many questions! I have opted not to do a tour as this late in the game, and considering that folks spend up to a year planning their adventure, tours are really expensive! (I also didn't want so spend my future progeny's dental and college fund because that seems like an uncomfortable future conversation!) I will be visiting London, Paris and Rome over 8 gloriously jam-packed days. However I want to plan my own itinerary.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? The package includes hotel and air so that's covered. Now I need ideas for making the most of 2 days in London (cause really? I feel like between Jane Austen and Bridget Jones' Diary...I've been there...I'm kidding Londoners...I've never read Bridget Jones' Diary) and 2 days in Paris with 4 spent in Rome (where I plan to stalk the Pope**). Any suggestions for places to eat, play, pray and love being around people would be so welcome!!

I would also welcome hotel suggestions because I think I can still check againts the travel companies suggestions and match them to any CMers make. Thank you, kind souls, for any help!

In Christ,
Leyden

**any suggestions for evading the Swiss Guard also welcome....cause ya don't want to mess with men unafraid to wear those outfits.

--hide--
My recommendation is not to visit three cities in eight days. At the very most I'd go for two cities during that time. But if you have decided on three then so be it.

London - Whatever you do, make sure to look in both directions before crossing the road. Focus especially on the wrong direction. Not doing that can be a lethal mistake. Things to see: The Tower and Buckingham palace is about all you can be sure to see if you only have two days.

Paris - Here they drive in the correct direction but compensate for that in traffic madness. Be as careful as in London! Things to see: The Eiffel tower is a bit overrated in my personal opinion. I'd go for Versailles and it's_amazing_ garden and take a whole day there. Louvre if you like art and is interested in seeing that amazingly small painting called Mona Lisa. Then take a day to just stroll around in one of the older parts of the city and feel the atmosphere. Have a cup decent coffee and a pastry made in heaven at a small café.

Rome - Same traffic madness as in Paris. Watch yourself! To see: At least one whole day to the Vatican and St:Peters Basilica. The Vatican Museum is a gem too. There are a bunch of amazing churches too visit throughout the city. See the catacombs. I'd recommend a day trip outside the city to visit a vine house. Experience really good wine and food. Then just stroll around the city and do whatever you feel like.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Marisela-928307 said: Don't laugh, but make sure you read the street before crossing at a crosswalk in London! T...
(Quote) Marisela-928307 said:

Don't laugh, but make sure you read the street before crossing at a crosswalk in London! The London Eye is great! Take in a show on the West End.

--hide--

Hi Marisela (I love your name BTW),

See? This is good advice! I grew up in the City (NYC) which is built on a grid...and I only ever oriented myself by which Starbucks was closest to my destination....so I'm the last to laugh at advice as sound as "read the name of the street."

However, I'm also a proponent of getting lost. Otherwise how would I have found out at the tender age of 14 how cool CBGB's (rock club...home to Blondie) was and which door opens to the backstage of the Majestic Theater...if I hadn't walked down the wrong alley? wink

In Christ,

Leyden

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: My recommendation is not to visit three cities in eight days. At the very most I'd go for two...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

My recommendation is not to visit three cities in eight days. At the very most I'd go for two cities during that time. But if you have decided on three then so be it.

London - Whatever you do, make sure to look in both directions before crossing the road. Focus especially on the wrong direction. Not doing that can be a lethal mistake. Things to see: The Tower and Buckingham palace is about all you can be sure to see if you only have two days.

Paris - Here they drive in the correct direction but compensate for that in traffic madness. Be as careful as in London! Things to see: The Eiffel tower is a bit overrated in my personal opinion. I'd go for Versailles and it's_amazing_ garden and take a whole day there. Louvre if you like art and is interested in seeing that amazingly small painting called Mona Lisa. Then take a day to just stroll around in one of the older parts of the city and feel the atmosphere. Have a cup decent coffee and a pastry made in heaven at a small café.

Rome - Same traffic madness as in Paris. Watch yourself! To see: At least one whole day to the Vatican and St:Peters Basilica. The Vatican Museum is a gem too. There are a bunch of amazing churches too visit throughout the city. See the catacombs. I'd recommend a day trip outside the city to visit a vine house. Experience really good wine and food. Then just stroll around the city and do whatever you feel like.

--hide--

Hi Peter!

You kind sir have inadvertently won the heart of any mother by focusing on what is most important: looking both ways in traffic! I also agree that the Eiffel Tower seems a bit touristy...mais non c'est important, c'est la Tour Eiffel! However I will take your words to heart and if there is not time...then the Tower gets cut. If I had my druthers I'd do Lourdes and Rome...but that trip was a little $$ than I was willing to commit at this time.

I am pleased to note that tha Parisians compensate for proper lane usage with deranged driving...it'll feel like home. Are they still mad at us about...you know...everything?

I think the CMers consensus is definitely the Catacombs. I will have to do that! Thanks so much Peter from Stockholm!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 8th 2013 new

Leyden ....

When your in london you must check-out the museums here.As a Londoner we have some of the best museums in the world from the national history museum to Charles dickens museum ect most of the Museums here are free to enter
Oh this web site will help it`s where i go to see what is coming up in London www.londontown.com.

GOD BLESS .....

May 8th 2013 new

Leyden ...
One more thing
When in Paris if you driving make sure you have a breathalyser kit in the car as its the law in France to have one in the car even if you don`t drink ..

Posts 21 - 30 of 78