Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retal...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

First of all, Israel is such a small country, if Syria or any of its supporters start to retaliate, Israel will
be crushed.

Secondly, this is one of the most confusing conflicts I have noticed in this day and age.

Remember the adage, the "enemy of my enemy is my friend." In the case of Syria and its rebel uprising,
enemy and friend are hard to define.

Lastly, Bashar should remain in place. Even though he is a dictator, we have no right to go in and overturn
a sovereign country (even though we did it in the past). Bashar was better for America than the unknowns
who may take the helm in the future.

If Syria falls, it can not mean anything good for the surrounding area and for non-Muslims. The rebels are
not the Syrian people. These are outsiders who came in with guns and ammunition. Syrians were too poor
under Bashar to afford guns and ammunition. Bashar has a lot of money and will use that money to fight
for a long time.

I don't think this can be classified as a civil war anymore. It is a mess though. And so many are dying
there.

--hide--

Israel may be small, but its neighbors have tried and failed many times to crush it. And that was before Israel had a nuclear arsenal. If Syria or any of its supporters retaliate in a full scale way, they will be run the risk of being nuked.

It is way too early to say if Bashar was better for American than who ever is going to replace him. That will depend entirely on who replaces him. Syria's support of terrorism has not exactly done the U.S. any favors. Nor has it's destabilization of Lebanon.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Peter, it makes no sense to say that one of the greatest blunders of modern history wa...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Peter, it makes no sense to say that one of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat
of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century.

It says right in the reference you gave that the Empire was almost ended by that time. It also said that Jihad
was a main philosophy of the Empire.

So, what are you suggesting. It makes no sense to me.

--hide--

I think Peter's point is that under Ottoman rule the Middle East was a less turbulent place than it is today.

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries has not worked. It is not working in Iraq and cannot possibly work in Afghanistan. Look what American meddling accomplished in Iran. If and when we finally get through our thick skulls that we are not helping and butt out, the dust will settle and the region will find it's own way. It may be ugly to our eyes, but it will be of their design. One of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century:

www.bbc.co.uk

--hide--

Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries has not worked.

thumbsup The Mid East is such a tribal region; they don't respect the sit-around-the-table-and-talk style of governing.

One of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century:

The blunder was the haphazard partition of the Ottoman Empire after their defeat; not only that, all the countries aside from Turkey missed out on the Ataturk reforms. The Ottoman Empire had to be defeated; they entered WWI on the side of Germany. Bad move Ottomans, now you are just a piece of furniture.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: I think Peter's point is that under Ottoman rule the Middle East was a less turbulent...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

I think Peter's point is that under Ottoman rule the Middle East was a less turbulent place than it is today.

--hide--

Well, I think you are right about that. Thank you, John.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Israel may be small, but its neighbors have tried and failed many times to crush it. And ...

Israel may be small, but its neighbors have tried and failed many times to crush it. And that was before Israel had a nuclear arsenal. If Syria or any of its supporters retaliate in a full scale way, they will be run the risk of being nuked.

It is way too early to say if Bashar was better for American than who ever is going to replace him. That will depend entirely on who replaces him. Syria's support of terrorism has not exactly done the U.S. any favors. Nor has it's destabilization of Lebanon.

--hide--

I said that Bashar was probably better because I don't think things are going to be stable at all when Bashar falls. You are right
about Bashar. Good points. Thank you.

May 8th 2013 new

And Germany was evil?

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle ...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

Ramming American or European style governments down the throats of these Middle Eastern countries has not worked.

The Mid East is such a tribal region; they don't respect the sit-around-the-table-and-talk style of governing.

One of the greatest blunders of modern history was the European defeat of the Ottoman Empire early in the twentieth century:

The blunder was the haphazard partition of the Ottoman Empire after their defeat; not only that, all the countries aside from Turkey missed out on the Ataturk reforms. The Ottoman Empire had to be defeated; they entered WWI on the side of Germany. Bad move Ottomans, now you are just a piece of furniture.

--hide--

May 8th 2013 new

It is too bad that the Crusades did not make the area Chistian permanently

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: And Germany was evil?
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

And Germany was evil?

--hide--

Cute, but I didn't say Germany was evil. If you want to defend Germany, be my guest.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Israel may be small, but its neighbors have tried and failed many times to crush it. And ...

--hide--

Maybe, but that simply means that neither Israel or the U.S. have a real dog in this fight, though we sure act as if we do.

Here's a crazy idea! Let's stay out of other people's wars for a change! mischievous

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Maybe, but that simply means that neither Israel or the U.S. have a real dog in this fi...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Maybe, but that simply means that neither Israel or the U.S. have a real dog in this fight, though we sure act as if we do.

Here's a crazy idea! Let's stay out of other people's wars for a change!

--hide--

Diddo, Steven.

Posts 11 - 20 of 192