Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Mother's Day

May 8th 2013 new

Do any other single mom's struggle on Mother's Day? Or single fathers on Father's Day, for that matter.

May 8th 2013 new

I hate Mother's Day. My daughter pointed out today that this is the first year in many when I have not gone out of town -- alone -- for Mother's Day.

Father's Day is meaningless in my house. My younger children don't remember their father.

My own father used to laughingly describe Mother's and Father's Days as a racket designed to increase sales at department stores, and I think he was right. Let's face it -- it doesn't take a lot of talent to be a mother. Almost anyone can do it. eyepopping Even the guys. (My brother is better at being a mom than his wife is.)

If you are a good parent, your kids turn out to be nice, productive people. That's all the recognition/reward I want.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I hate Mother's Day. My daughter pointed out today that this is the first year in many when I...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I hate Mother's Day. My daughter pointed out today that this is the first year in many when I have not gone out of town -- alone -- for Mother's Day.

Father's Day is meaningless in my house. My younger children don't remember their father.

My own father used to laughingly describe Mother's and Father's Days as a racket designed to increase sales at department stores, and I think he was right. Let's face it -- it doesn't take a lot of talent to be a mother. Almost anyone can do it. Even the guys. (My brother is better at being a mom than his wife is.)

If you are a good parent, your kids turn out to be nice, productive people. That's all the recognition/reward I want.

--hide--

I don't get overly excited about Mother's day, even though I have had some nice mother's day. But, years ago I read about where the tradition actually originated, although most today probably have no idea of the connection. During the Medieval period, during the month of May, which is the month of Mary, it was traditional to pilgrimage back their Mother church, the church into which they were born and baptized. It developed into festivals and visiting family. Kind of a neat thought.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Dana-782979 said: Do any other single mom's struggle on Mother's Day? Or single fathers on Father's Day,...
(Quote) Dana-782979 said:

Do any other single mom's struggle on Mother's Day? Or single fathers on Father's Day, for that matter.

--hide--

Having such a loving, thoughtful daughter is like celebrating Mother's Day everyday. She fills in the void. As I reflect on my life, I smile and say that I guess I must have done something right.

Peace, Love & Prayers to all CM mothers! hug Praying Dove lovestruck!

May 8th 2013 new

Thank you everyone-I am glad that I am not the only one that is not all excited about Mother's Day.

I do feel bad for my kids because they want to do something, but don't feel like doing a task for me is adequate, they do not want to shop with me present, their dad will not assist them and they feel awkward as teenagers to make a card......

I am not interested in spending the money on going out to eat, so I am going to try and make it nice for my mom and focus on that.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I hate Mother's Day. My daughter pointed out today that this is the first year in many when I...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

My own father used to laughingly describe Mother's and Father's Days as a racket designed to increase sales at department stores, and I think he was right. Let's face it -- it doesn't take a lot of talent to be a mother. Almost anyone can do it. Even the guys. (My brother is better at being a mom than his wife is.)

--hide--

Marge,

You stated, "If you are a good parent, your kids turn out to be nice, productive people. That's all the recognition/reward I want".

I totally agree. My two children always befriended wonderful people, studied hard in school and now both have their masters degrees and wonderful jobs. My daughter married a wonderful man and both have blessed me with two wonderful grandchildren. A couple of weeks ago when I was babysitting both grandchildren, it brought to mind it was not that long ago when my former spouse and myself were taking care of our two.

Yes, it gives you a great feeling knowing they turned out well. and have a bright future. I also need no other recognition or reward.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

May 8th 2013 new

I like the idea of focussing on your own mom. Maybe the teens can pitch in on that, too, and make a nice day for her.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Dana-782979 said: Do any other single mom's struggle on Mother's Day? Or single fathers on Father's Day,...
(Quote) Dana-782979 said:

--hide--

Yep. See many posts on the "Lonliness" issue in Divorced forums.

This year I'm trying something different though - treating myself to Mothers' Day: pedicure on Friday, steak dinner somewhere over the weekend, my daughter's concert Saturday evening, mass and self-made brunch on my porch on Sunday - probably a nap too. My ex texted me today saying, "by the way, Sunday is Mothers Day = do you want the kids back early or rearrange our schedule so you have them that day?"

I'm thinking, MOST DEFINITELY NOT! I've been planning this weekend for a month, dude!

God bless all the CM moms out there - especially those who are under-appreciated. Mary, Mother of God, PRAY FOR US!

May 9th 2013 new

Not a day goes by without missing her so I'll share this open letter with you!

DEAR MOM,

Thank you for delivering this 7lb 12 oz baby. Thank you for raising me and packing my school lunches and cooking hot
breakfasts and dinners! Thank you for making me help with the dishes, folding clothes and making
me pray with my brothers and sisters! Thanks for ironing knee patches on my
torn school uniform pants including washing and ironing my clothes... not to
mention your 6 other children. Thanks for hugging me and holding me close when I was sick. Thanks
for letting us watch you pray and work as an example to us kids and thanks for
making Dad happy for 62 yrs. Thank you for helping me with my homework and
for reminding Dad when I needed to be disciplined (which was often!) Thank you
for living your life as if it was just lived for me! You went from a shack
in Northern England to a Mansion in Heaven Not bad for a little 5 ft.
tall lass! Happy Mothers Day in Heaven Momma.....Say hi to Pops for me and
Happy Mothers Day Weekend to all my friend's Moms!

AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL CMERS!

May 9th 2013 new

Mother's day has always been about family for me. I grew up spending Mother's day with my grandmothers, something I haven't done in more years than I can count. I'm very excited that my parents are going to be with us this year for Mother's day.

My ex never "got" the idea of Mother's day. I knew that going in. Anything we did, I usually planned and he made it a point to somehow ruin it. ( Now he is using Mother's day as a way to get back at me. Last year, my son was supposed to be home at 5:00 so we could have dinner. He came home at 9pm, asleep. To add insult to injury, his dad took him away for the weekend and he spent Mother's day with his Dad's girlfriend. I have been "awarded" mother's day, but my ex refused to give me a time that we would do the exchange. I finally had to go through the attorney to get it resolved.

While most of the holidays don't mean much to me anymore since I have none of my family close by, I still want to make the traditions for my son so that he has those memories. His dad doesn't celebrate ANY holidays, so at his house, there is no Christmas, Halloween, Birthday Parties, etc. I am lucky in that we are able to spend holidays with "adopted family" and he will hopefully have some good memories.

Posts 1 - 10 of 30