Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

May 8th 2013 new

I have read through the threads but didn't see (oops if missed) about talking to your priest on campus or your parish priest (if other than) about this. Does he advocate? I think sometimes we must begin with things of question at a parish level and then at a Diocesan level (Bishop, other offices). I find my priest at my parish to be of an incredible wisdom and character. His advice is priceless. Andy, I admire you courage but you are one and this is a group of many people. Having a team to back you on this may also provide you with additional support and resources. Look for your advocate within your parish.

May 8th 2013 new
(Quote) Annette-969665 said: I have read through the threads but didn't see (oops if missed) about talking to your priest on campus or...
(Quote) Annette-969665 said:

I have read through the threads but didn't see (oops if missed) about talking to your priest on campus or your parish priest (if other than) about this. Does he advocate? I think sometimes we must begin with things of question at a parish level and then at a Diocesan level (Bishop, other offices). I find my priest at my parish to be of an incredible wisdom and character. His advice is priceless. Andy, I admire you courage but you are one and this is a group of many people. Having a team to back you on this may also provide you with additional support and resources. Look for your advocate within your parish.

--hide--

I would hope that the campus priest, deacon, monastic, or lay leader at the campus ministry would already know about this group. Maybe the campus ministry can organize some kind of talk to discuss Catholic teaching on this and other matters.
May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Which people are "worth" saving or spending time on then if homosexuals are not among t...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Which people are "worth" saving or spending time on then if homosexuals are not among them? Is there a list to be found somewhere ranking people in worthiness?

--hide--

Are you not aware of the story I refer to in the Gospel? Are you asking me, or God?

May 8th 2013 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I have to take exception with your "the only ones not called to chastity is a married couple." The prima...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I have to take exception with your "the only ones not called to chastity is a married couple." The primary definition of chastity is "purity in thought and action." A married couple most definitely is called to be so, just as we all are, maybe even especially so, since marriage is to be the mirroring of God's love for and relationship with the Church, His bride. A husband and wife can commit sexual sin with each other, when they act in lust rather than holy love.
--hide--

Yes and if the married couple is not faithful to each other in their thoughts or what they look at, they are not practicing chastity.
May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Being gay is not a sin nor does it disqualify someone from being christian. Having sex with someo...

Being gay is not a sin nor does it disqualify someone from being christian. Having sex with someone of the same gender is though. Do you see the difference?

--hide--

Yea, I see the difference; but thinking about having sex with someone of the same gender is a sin.

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Which people are "worth" saving or spending time on then if homosexuals are not among t...

Which people are "worth" saving or spending time on then if homosexuals are not among them? Is there a list to be found somewhere ranking people in worthiness?

--hide--

Apparently, our society doesn't think it's worthy to help save the homosexuals, because theyre being called "gay", and not needing help with their problem.

May 9th 2013 new
I would think that the reason for having a gay/Christian alliance group on a Catholic University campus is to attempt to mend the gap between gay persons and straight Catholics. Are the homosexuals there also Catholics students attending the university? Part of a university education is to create in the mindset of the student, at least an open mind toward understanding of multiple points of view, not just one, and not just those of our own.

Having such a group on campus may also promote learning and awareness about issues of the day; even if those issues conflict with our Catholic doctrines, e.g., as an educated individual, you should know what is out there!

You should be aware that being a homosexual is certainly not acting contrary to the Catholic faith, but acting upon homosexual impulses is, e.g., homosexual sexual acts, and as well, gay marriage is contrary to Catholic doctrine.

As a Catholic, at a Catholic University, though, your voice regarding being exposed to viewpoints that are contrary to Catholic doctrine should be heard. If you know that persons from this alliance are promoting gay marriage or homosexual acts, both contrary to church doctrine, you could begin a petition for you and other students there to sign, stating that you do not care to be exposed to thought that is contrary to Catholic doctrine, against your will.

As far as approaching these particular gay persons, you might consult a Catholic apologist first, in order to learn exact how to support your position.

Hope this helps.
May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to f...
(Quote) Andy-896770 said:

I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to form and be promoted on campus. I want to go the group to talk to them about the Church's teaching, but I want to do it in a non-aggrissive, tactful manner yet still not water it down. Any suggestions of how I might approach this?

--hide--

I would pray the prayer of conversion give to us by Jesus through St. Faustina (with the group in mind or an individual in mind) prior to any conversation so that the Spirit has time to work in them. Then keep them in your prayers. Pray the prayer anytime you see anyone sin.

"O Blood and Water which Gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus, I TRUST in you." pray this three times.

Also, realizing we are sinners ourselves, if we ever recognize ourselves as sinning we may pray:

"Lord Jesus, If I EVER offend you I beg your Mercy." three times. It glorifies Jesus.

May God bless you,

Mick

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lawrence-943343 said: Are you not aware of the story I refer to in the Gospel? Are you asking me, or God?
(Quote) Lawrence-943343 said:

Are you not aware of the story I refer to in the Gospel? Are you asking me, or God?

--hide--
Yes I am, but you didn't answer my question.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: Yea, I see the difference; but thinking about having sex with someone of the same gender...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

Yea, I see the difference; but thinking about having sex with someone of the same gender is a sin.

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

--hide--
Being homosexual isn't about thinking of having sex and being christian isn't about not sinning. If Christians were only those who never sinned the number of Christians would be very easy to count, and you would not be one of them either. So why are you so quick to point out homosexuals not being christian?

Posts 41 - 50 of 71