Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: What do you expect when 54% of voting Catholics voted for him. And Latino voters, who are...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

What do you expect when 54% of voting Catholics voted for him. And Latino voters, who are overwhelmingly Roman Catholic voted for him in even greater numbers. Catholic women voted heavily for him.

The only group that did not strongly support him were white, Catholic men, just like white males in the general population. Lest you think that at least is a positive, remember that the vote for Obummer in these last two groups was still in the 40+% range.

Society as a whole is sick, sick, sick. UInfortunately, most Catholics are just as bad. But then, most people who identify themselves as Catholioc are so poorly educated in the faith that they are Catholic in name only.

--hide--

Thank you ED for the revelation.

Paul,

O great and wise seer, Sick + Sick + Sick = 6 6 6 Armageddon!= I'm a geddon out o' here!!.

Unfortunately Obama's price that is paying for the Presidency is to be Hilary Clintons glove puppet. She stepped aside to allow the dirty work to be sheeted home to President Obama. Thus when she makes her run for Presidency she will have a scape goat to blame for that which she is orchestrating from the side lines. Pilate take two! Hilary is the hit woman for PP. Remember when she went to the Church in Mexico that has the Tilma of Guadalupe. Hilary, having had her frontal brain lobes chemically shrunken by peroxide, asked the priest, "Who was the artist who painted it??" The priest's reply was classically biblical, "God!!" Hilary then slithered back to her snake basket whilst hubby, "Bill 'What am I allowed to say today Hilaty?'Clinton, played sex-sax-a-phoney! They left quickly as Hilary was being given an award for services to PP and all things foetally fatal! I think she is writing a craft book on the uses that a babies rib cage can be crafted into, like a toast rack holder or some other houshold necessisty. One springs to mind immediately, a holder for her five best "Environmental Recycling" Blu Ray Disc lecture Series!! But wait there's more!! A set of bone handled steak knives. Plus a free subscription to Hilary and Bills monthly magazine, "You and Eugenics!" or "Populace Mechanics." two cents violin

May 8th 2013 new
I do not support abortion but know without question that many supporters of PP do so out of a sincere commitment to helping poor women meet their reproduction needs. I think vilifying those who think differently is counterproductive and not what Christ teaches. Supporters of PP are humans and the children of God and deserve respect. Why so much hate?
May 8th 2013 new
I really want my sincerity to be evident as I post this- there was no candidate or party for that matter who follows the Church's teaching. I voted for Obama because I believe more disadvantaged people (poor, elderly, minority... Powerless) would be served. I understand the issue of abortion is critical. However, no one has to go against their beliefs and have an abortion. Whereas under the republicans people do suffer the death penalty. Please do not oversimplify this as though to vote any one particular way is a sign of lack of faith. Respecting that people of very strong faith can reach differing decisions while being very well informed, faithful and well intended is critical. The name calling and vilifying doesn't seem very Christian to me. As a child of Gid I deserve to be treated with dignity as do you, no matter our voting record.
May 8th 2013 new

America needs a political party that is for catholic values and the working class

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: I really want my sincerity to be evident as I post this- there was no candidate or party for that matte...
(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: I really want my sincerity to be evident as I post this- there was no candidate or party for that matter who follows the Church's teaching. I voted for Obama because I believe more disadvantaged people (poor, elderly, minority... Powerless) would be served. I understand the issue of abortion is critical. However, no one has to go against their beliefs and have an abortion. Whereas under the republicans people do suffer the death penalty. Please do not oversimplify this as though to vote any one particular way is a sign of lack of faith. Respecting that people of very strong faith can reach differing decisions while being very well informed, faithful and well intended is critical. The name calling and vilifying doesn't seem very Christian to me. As a child of Gid I deserve to be treated with dignity as do you, no matter our voting record.
--hide--

Please explain what part of the message the Catholic Bishops of the United States had to say about the last election that you did not understand.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: I really want my sincerity to be evident as I post this- there was no candidate or party for that matte...
(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: I really want my sincerity to be evident as I post this- there was no candidate or party for that matter who follows the Church's teaching. I voted for Obama because I believe more disadvantaged people (poor, elderly, minority... Powerless) would be served. I understand the issue of abortion is critical. However, no one has to go against their beliefs and have an abortion. Whereas under the republicans people do suffer the death penalty. Please do not oversimplify this as though to vote any one particular way is a sign of lack of faith. Respecting that people of very strong faith can reach differing decisions while being very well informed, faithful and well intended is critical. The name calling and vilifying doesn't seem very Christian to me. As a child of Gid I deserve to be treated with dignity as do you, no matter our voting record.
--hide--

Hi Sandra. The Bishops in IL put together some information to help churches lead their flock, during the election season. It's not about what "I think", it's about following our Church's lead. What I am including below isn't from IL, but is vital information about how we're expected to lead our lives (not just about voting):

FIVE NON-NEGOTIABLES

These five current issues concern actions that are intrinsically evil and must never be promoted by the law. Intrinsically evil actions are those that fundamentally conflict with the moral law and can never be deliberately performed under any circumstances. It is a serious sin to deliberately endorse or promote any of these actions, and no candidate who really wants to advance the common good will support any action contrary to the non-negotiable principles involved in these issues.

1. Abortion

The Church teaches that, regarding a law permitting abortions, it is "never licit to obey it, or to take part in a propaganda campaign in favor of such a law, or to vote for it" (EV 73). Abortion is the intentional and direct killing of an innocent human being, and therefore it is a form of homicide.

The unborn child is always an innocent party, and no law may permit the taking of his life. Even when a child is conceived through rape or incest, the fault is not the child’s, who should not suffer death for others’ sins.

2. Euthanasia

Often disguised by the name "mercy killing," euthanasia is also a form of homicide. No person has a right to take his own life, and no one has the right to take the life of any innocent person.

In euthanasia, the ill or elderly are killed, by action or omission, out of a misplaced sense of compassion, but true compassion cannot include intentionally doing something intrinsically evil to another person (cf. EV 73).

3. Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Human embryos are human beings. "Respect for the dignity of the human being excludes all experimental manipulation or exploitation of the human embryo" (CRF 4b).

Recent scientific advances show that often medical treatments that researchers hope to develop from experimentation on embryonic stem cells can be developed by using adult stem cells instead. Adult stem cells can be obtained without doing harm to the adults from whom they come. Thus there is no valid medical argument in favor of using embryonic stem cells. And even if there were benefits to be had from such experiments, they would not justify destroying innocent embryonic humans.

4. Human Cloning

"Attempts . . . for obtaining a human being without any connection with sexuality through ‘twin fission,’ cloning, or parthenogenesis are to be considered contrary to the moral law, since they are in opposition to the dignity both of human procreation and of the conjugal union" (RHL I:6).

Human cloning also involves abortion because the "rejected" or "unsuccessful" embryonic clones are destroyed, yet each clone is a human being.

5. Homosexual "Marriage"

True marriage is the union of one man and one woman. Legal recognition of any other union as "marriage" undermines true marriage, and legal recognition of homosexual unions actually does homosexual persons a disfavor by encouraging them to persist in what is an objectively immoral arrangement.

"When legislation in favor of the recognition of homosexual unions is proposed for the first time in a legislative assembly, the Catholic lawmaker has a moral duty to express his opposition clearly and publicly and to vote against it. To vote in favor of a law so harmful to the common good is gravely immoral" (UHP 10).

HOW TO VOTE

1. For each office, first determine how each candidate stands on each of the issues that will come before him and involve non-negotiable principles.

2. Rank the candidates according to how well their positions align with these non-negotiable moral principles.

3. Give preference to candidates who do not propose positions that contradict these principles.

4. Where every candidate endorses positions contrary to non-negotiable principles, choose the candidate likely to do the least harm. If several are equal, evaluate them based on their views on other, lesser issues.

5. Remember that your vote today may affect the offices a candidate later achieves.

WHEN THERE IS NO "ACCEPTABLE" CANDIDATE

In some political races, each candidate takes a wrong position on one or more issues involving non-negotiable moral principles. In such a case you may vote for the candidate who takes the fewest such positions or who seems least likely to be able to advance immoral legislation, or you may choose to vote for no one.

A vote cast in such a situation is not morally the same as a positive endorsement for candidates, laws, or programs that promote intrinsic evils: It is only tolerating a lesser evil to avoid an even greater evil. As Pope John Paul II indicated regarding a situation where it is not possible to overturn or completely defeat a law allowing abortion, "an elected official, whose absolute personal opposition to procured abortion was well known, could licitly support proposals aimed at limiting the harm done by such a law and at lessening its negative consequences at the level of general opinion and public morality"(EV 73; also CPL 4).

Catholics must strive to put in place candidates, laws, and political programs that are in full accord with non-negotiable moral values. Where a perfect candidate, law, or program is not on the table, we are to choose the best option, the one that promotes the greatest good and entails the least evil. Not voting may sometimes be the only moral course of action, but we must consider whether not voting actually promotes good and limits evil in a specific instance. The role of citizens and elected officials is to promote intrinsic moral values as much as possible today while continuing to work toward better candidates, laws, and programs in the future.

THE ROLE OF YOUR CONSCIENCE

Conscience is like an alarm. It warns you when you are about to do something that you know is wrong. It does not itself determine what is right or wrong. For your conscience to work properly, it must be properly informed—that is, you must inform yourself about what is right and what is wrong. Only then will your conscience be a trusted guide.

Unfortunately, today many Catholics have not formed their consciences adequately regarding key moral issues. The result is that their consciences do not "sound off" at appropriate times, including on Election Day.

A well-formed conscience will never contradict Catholic moral teaching. For that reason, if you are unsure where your conscience is leading you when at the ballot box, place your trust in the unwavering moral teachings of the Church. (The Catechism of the Catholic Church is an excellent source of authentic moral teaching.)

from www.politicalresponsibility.com

May 9th 2013 new

--hide--

I also know our Catholic Church was leading us to Stand Up For Religious Freedom, something that is being taken away via the HHS mandate (Obamacare).

There is a website that is keeping America up-to-date with the lawsuits occuring due to this mandate:

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty led the charge against the Administration’s unconstitutional HHS mandate–which forces many religious organizations to violate their deeply held religious beliefs, or pay crippling fines. The Becket Fund applauds the other courageous defenders who have stepped forward and filed additional suits in defense of America’s first freedom. The Becket Fund currently represents: Hobby Lobby, Wheaton College, East Texas Baptist University, Houston Baptist University, Colorado Christian University, the Eternal Word Television Network, Ave Maria University, and Belmont Abbey College.

Today there are 60 cases and over 190 individuals representing hospitals, universities, businesses, schools, and people all speaking with one voice to affirm the freedom of religion guaranteed in the Constitution.

May 9th 2013 new

--hide--

Sorry Sandra, it's me again.

Not only was our Catholic Church telling us faithful Catholics to stand with Her and by standing against the HHS mandate, but all across America, Christians were standing up for our religious freedom:

In March, June and October of 2012, “Stand Up for Religious Freedom” rallies were held across the United States in protest of President Obama’s HHS Mandate. In all, 450 individual rallies were held in 230 cities and towns, with attendance topping 150,000 people.

These rallies energized widespread opposition to the HHS Mandate and drew extensive media coverage both locally and nationally with the issue of religious freedom front and center. You can read all about the rallies here:

standupforreligiousfreedom.com

May 9th 2013 new

When comparing deaths via the death penalty and deaths via abortion, it's astonishing to see which is the most vital fight to fight for.

Death penalty in the U.S. in 2011 = 43. www.deathpenaltyinfo.org

Total number of abortions in the U.S. 1973-2011: 54.5 million+

234 abortions per 1,000 live births (according to the Centers for Disease Control)
Abortions per year: 1.2 million
Abortions per day: 3,288
Abortions per hour: 137
9 abortions every 4 minutes
1 abortion every 26 seconds

These statistics include only surgical and medical abortions. Because many contraceptive measures are abortifacients (drugs that induce or cause abortions), it is important not to overlook the number of children killed by chemical abortions. Since 1965, an average of 11 million women have used abortifacient methods of birth control in the United States at any given time. Using formulas based on the way the birth control pill works, pharmacy experts project that about 14 million chemical abortions occur in the United States each year, providing a projected total of well in excess of 610 million chemical abortions between 1965 and 2009.

Number of Abortions, Abortion counter

www.numberofabortions.com

“Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion” – Mother Teresa

“Any country that accepts abortion is the poorest of the poor” – Mother Teresa

May 9th 2013 new
In my prayerful discernment I concluded that by voting for the party that cares the most for the poor and marginalized would reduce the most abortions more than simply legislating which doesn't end abortion but criminalizes it. To the aborted this makes no differences. The countries with the lowest rates of abortion are those with the best healthcare for all not where abortion is illegal. I wish there was a party that was pro life, anti poverty, pro environment, anti corporation, anti death penalty, etc.... That being said, I appreciate any counter point that is respectful of my very sincere faith and will take it under serious consideration as I inform my conscience to choose from among the very imperfect options. There is much in this forum that comes across as throwing stones and hateful, however. To the point of the Illinois bishop I live in North Carolina and my bishop issued information that into full consideration. Please know that it is entirely possible to be a Catholic that practices in the fullest sense and in a very sincere manner and still not vote Republican. I am puzzled by those voting Republican given their policies regarding the poor, the marginalized and God's creation. That being said, I cannot imagine judging their commitment to their faith , the state of their soul or anything else about their state of grace. That is not my place.
Posts 51 - 60 of 72