Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully discuss my reservations with him about the Craft from a Catholic perspective because the Church still forbids us from having anything to do with it?

I don't want to be a jerk about it, but I don't want to be a pushover either.
May 10th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully discuss my ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully discuss my reservations with him about the Craft from a Catholic perspective because the Church still forbids us from having anything to do with it?

--hide--

www.catholic.com

maybe that link would help. I just heard something about this on EWTN on catholic answers live the other day. I was trying to find the audio. I'll try to keep looking for it.
May 10th 2013 new
www.catholic.com

Hopefully this will bring you to the audio with anything discussing free masonry. I think there are 5 different shows that had different topics. Hope this helps.
May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully d...
(Quote) John-220051 said: My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully discuss my reservations with him about the Craft from a Catholic perspective because the Church still forbids us from having anything to do with it?

--hide--
Why do you feel you need to discuss it in the first place? I know we as Catholics are tasked to evangelize, but I personally do not because it's a great way to lose friends and family. The people I know who are masons do not rub it in anyones face- one is a Rabbi. Unless someone is involved with a dangerous, predatory cult like $cientology, I respect the path they have chosen to walk. Having said all that, some people are open to civil debate about such matters and can remain friends.

May 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Why do you feel you need to discuss it in the first place? I know we as Catholics are tasked to evangelize, but...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Why do you feel you need to discuss it in the first place? I know we as Catholics are tasked to evangelize, but I personally do not because it's a great way to lose friends and family. The people I know who are masons do not rub it in anyones face- one is a Rabbi. Unless someone is involved with a dangerous, predatory cult like $cientology, I respect the path they have chosen to walk. Having said all that, some people are open to civil debate about such matters and can remain friends.

--hide--

Free masonry's purpose is to destroy the Catholic church. I would consider it a dangerous cult.
May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: My new coworker is a Freemason and it looks like we could becoming good friends. But how do I tactfully d...

--hide--

Peter has a point- though I don't agree with letting them stew in their error- if the person is not very open/talkative about it, you won't really have an opening to discuss the thing at all. I would let him bring up his Masonic 'other life' and at that point, maybe mention the problems with those teachings/practices. Focus on it a point at a time and whatever you do- do NOT let it become a massive argument. Change the subject or walk away after delivering a few good points and [letting him reply].

By the way, I think we are assuming this Mason is NOT a Catholic..? You might want to come from a less religious side if you want to reach him e.g. the problems with secret societies from an anthropological point of view. If he isn't religious at all- telling him "Jesus says" will probably just make him annoyed with you. Sometimes we have to build up to these things.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Free masonry's purpose is to destroy the Catholic church. I would consider it a dangerous c...
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said:

Free masonry's purpose is to destroy the Catholic church. I would consider it a dangerous cult.
--hide--

Most Mason's in the US have no ill will towards the Catholic Church. In the US it has become more like the Elks and Moose.

Of course, that does not change the fact of what Masonary is at its core. It is still forbidden for a Catholic to join.

May 11th 2013 new
This guy is also a Catholic. Having attended a Masonic ceremony at one point I can at least say that they explicitly say there is no true religion.
May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: This guy is also a Catholic. Having attended a Masonic ceremony at one point I can at least say that they...
(Quote) John-220051 said: This guy is also a Catholic. Having attended a Masonic ceremony at one point I can at least say that they explicitly say there is no true religion.
--hide--

Oh, well in that case, you do not have "reservations", John. Holy Mother Church has condemned this society and you are very right to try and discuss this with him. Granted, again, wait for an opening. I would study up on Catholic Answers- preferably the old 1950s version as it may be more in-depth, but I think the stuff above is probably good too. Maybe encourage him to join a church men's group with you. Point out that he can do good for society without being a Mason.

"no true religion"...frightening. Maybe you should stay away from the Mason topic for now and encourage him to be a better Catholic- say a regular Rosary, go to Mass more often, maybe God's grace will handle it all without you talking on that point. smile

May 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: Oh, well in that case, you do not have "reservations", John. Holy Mother ...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

Oh, well in that case, you do not have "reservations", John. Holy Mother Church has condemned this society and you are very right to try and discuss this with him. Granted, again, wait for an opening. I would study up on Catholic Answers- preferably the old 1950s version as it may be more in-depth, but I think the stuff above is probably good too. Maybe encourage him to join a church men's group with you. Point out that he can do good for society without being a Mason.

"no true religion"...frightening. Maybe you should stay away from the Mason topic for now and encourage him to be a better Catholic- say a regular Rosary, go to Mass more often, maybe God's grace will handle it all without you talking on that point.

--hide--

or try to get him to Join the Knights of Columbus
Posts 1 - 10 of 82