Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 10 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Wise words from a guy with a great name! Even the US government recommends this, or at le...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

Wise words from a guy with a great name! Even the US government recommends this, or at least they used to!
Just remember you have to be polite to pass for a Canadian, which I'm sure will be no problem for you Leyden :)

--hide--
Peter, the politest people I know are Canadian! Canada United States Flag

May 10 new
I would stick to areas that have a convenient McDonald's handy. The food is not great, but it is reasonably priced and won't get you sick. The last thing you want is to get sick on a vacation. Most McDonalds' these days take debit and credit cards, which reduces the need for cash, making things lots easier.

If I had to visit Europe, one thing I would want to see is "the village" of Portmeiron, which its web site says is 4 1/2 hours from London by car. That would be fun, but I would need a travelling companion. Flying alone would be torture, and air travel is brutal these days anyway. Oh, well, no one can do everything in life.
May 10 new

(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: I would stick to areas that have a convenient McDonald's handy. The food is not great, but it is re...
(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: I would stick to areas that have a convenient McDonald's handy. The food is not great, but it is reasonably priced and won't get you sick. The last thing you want is to get sick on a vacation. Most McDonalds' these days take debit and credit cards, which reduces the need for cash, making things lots easier.

If I had to visit Europe, one thing I would want to see is "the village" of Portmeiron, which its web site says is 4 1/2 hours from London by car. That would be fun, but I would need a travelling companion. Flying alone would be torture, and air travel is brutal these days anyway. Oh, well, no one can do everything in life.
--hide--

ohhh no no no!!! wink If you are visiting Rome, Paris and London, you should certainly have to eat Italian Pasta, go to a French Caffe and in London take roast beef one day and the other fish and chips in one of the many pubs, if you see them packed, it is a good guarantee. I have lived in Europe most of my life and never got sick in any restaurant in any of those cities I can tell you! wave enjoy your trip!! theheart

May 11 new
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi CMers , I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my firs...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Hi CMers ,
I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my first time abroad! I'm very excited but I have so many questions! I have opted not to do a tour as this late in the game, and considering that folks spend up to a year planning their adventure, tours are really expensive! (I also didn't want so spend my future progeny's dental and college fund because that seems like an uncomfortable future conversation!) I will be visiting London, Paris and Rome over 8 gloriously jam-packed days. However I want to plan my own itinerary.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? The package includes hotel and air so that's covered. Now I need ideas for making the most of 2 days in London (cause really? I feel like between Jane Austen and Bridget Jones' Diary...I've been there...I'm kidding Londoners...I've never read Bridget Jones' Diary) and 2 days in Paris with 4 spent in Rome (where I plan to stalk the Pope**). Any suggestions for places to eat, play, pray and love being around people would be so welcome!!

I would also welcome hotel suggestions because I think I can still check againts the travel companies suggestions and match them to any CMers make. Thank you, kind souls, for any help!

In Christ,
Leyden

**any suggestions for evading the Swiss Guard also welcome....cause ya don't want to mess with men unafraid to wear those outfits.

--hide--

Purchase a translation book (Rick Steve's has some great ones) for French and Italian. Yes, most people speak English, but that's not the point. If you make an effort to speak or understand their language and culture they will be more welcoming. Sadly many USC's leave a bad impression on most when they travel abroad. ALWAYS say hello to the shop owners and great the staff with a smile in their native tongue. That will go far in having a pleasant trip.

Two things you HAVE to do in Rome . . . go to the Sistine Chapel (get there VERY early and don't let the tour operators push you out, they have a schedule and if you are not with their group they tend to run over "single" tourists). Go to confession in St. Peter's. It touches your soul.

Be flexible . . . Ask for directions, have fun.
May 11 new
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi CMers , I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my firs...

Hi CMers ,
I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my first time abroad! I'm very excited but I have so many questions! I have opted not to do a tour as this late in the game, and considering that folks spend up to a year planning their adventure, tours are really expensive! (I also didn't want so spend my future progeny's dental and college fund because that seems like an uncomfortable future conversation!) I will be visiting London, Paris and Rome over 8 gloriously jam-packed days. However I want to plan my own itinerary.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? The package includes hotel and air so that's covered. Now I need ideas for making the most of 2 days in London (cause really? I feel like between Jane Austen and Bridget Jones' Diary...I've been there...I'm kidding Londoners...I've never read Bridget Jones' Diary) and 2 days in Paris with 4 spent in Rome (where I plan to stalk the Pope**). Any suggestions for places to eat, play, pray and love being around people would be so welcome!!

I would also welcome hotel suggestions because I think I can still check againts the travel companies suggestions and match them to any CMers make. Thank you, kind souls, for any help!

In Christ,
Leyden

**any suggestions for evading the Swiss Guard also welcome....cause ya don't want to mess with men unafraid to wear those outfits.

--hide--

What the Italian men....They will charm you
May 11 new

I have been coached to say I am from Texas.

May 11 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi CMers , I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it&...

Hi CMers ,

In Christ,
Leyden

--hide--

May 11 new

Uh oh, Jim. We better teach Leyden some quick Italian for overly charming boys. Here ya go "Via!" means "go" in Italian and is commonly used to reject the overly charming advances of men. In college I lived in Florence and Perugia so I learned proper Italian and Italian slang which was very useful. lol. Good times and great memories. Went to Rome in 2002 and my friends still live there in Perugia and Florence so it was like going on a day trip for them. Have loved The Vatican Museum, The Vatican, Pantheon and just walking on the streets. One night we went on the "streetcar" in the Tevere neighborhood. Loves, loved that with street mimes and other street performers gathered in squares. A metal type of garage door rolled up at dark and we ate dinner at Taverna della Scala on Via della Scala. But there are so many place like that with non-tourist menus. Gelato is a personal addiction of mine and if you have never tried-wow. And across from Trevi fountain back then was the greatest shoe store ever. Some helpful tips. I carried a shawl type scarf folded in my backpack to cover my shoulders in order to enter any chuches. Especially The Vatican (no shorts generally allowed either). Will say that I felt safe and secure but was aware of petty pick pocketing and never ever carried a purse. I wore a money belt under my garments and carried a backpack without valuables. Best guidebook and websites I used were Rick Steeves. Have a blessed trip.

May 12 new
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Guillermo! I checked out your pics on your site....they are so amazing! It looks like yo...

Hi Guillermo!

I checked out your pics on your site....they are so amazing! It looks like you had a incredible time! Thank you for so much for your suggestions, good soul! May I say you are also the only one to suggest a little hike! I love hiking! I"m also planning a hiking trip in Spain in 2014, have you ever been??

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--
Hi Leyden, Yes, I actually grew up in Madrid for 6 years and we woukd take family road trip vacations all over Spain...it's a very beautiful country with a rich Catholic heritage. If you like hiking check out the Way of St. James's Northern Route for some amazing towns, scenery, and ancient monasteries...not for the faint of heart though so be sure to research it thoroughly before signing up (cf. ). I haven't done it but my brother has...I did do the Inca Trail in Peru though and it's probably similar in arduousness except longer. Also some essential elements I always carry in my backpack regardless of where I'm going are: a toilet paper roll, several little bottles of purell hand sanitizer, a bottle of water, and my trusty old-school compass. God bless, -guillermo
May 12 new
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Yes, I actually grew up in Madrid for 6 years and we woukd take family road trip vacations all over...
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Yes, I actually grew up in Madrid for 6 years and we woukd take family road trip vacations all over Spain...it's a very beautiful country with a rich Catholic heritage. If you like hiking check out the Way of St. James's Northern Route for some amazing towns, scenery, and ancient monasteries...not for the faint of heart though so be sure to research it thoroughly before signing up (cf. ). I haven't done it but my brother has...I did do the Inca Trail in Peru though and it's probably similar in arduousness except longer. Also some essential elements I always carry in my backpack regardless of where I'm going are: a toilet paper roll, several little bottles of purell hand sanitizer, a bottle of water, and my trusty old-school compass. God bless, -guillermo
--hide--
...looks like the link didn't make it, so trying again: www.spainisculture.com Cheers, -g
Posts 41 - 50 of 78