Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

European Economy

Jan 9th 2013 new

Visited Europe over the holidays..............I had forgotten how the economy suffers there and there are a lot of beggers everywhere....housekeeper in our hotel even stole my son's coat and his kid movies....it is a little sad....it makes you appreciate what you have here....that is for sure....not sure I want to go back any time soon......

If you have any experienecs to share about the economy there....please do.... Dove .

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: Visited Europe over the holidays..............I had forgotten how the economy suffers there an...
(Quote) Michelle-655299 said:

Visited Europe over the holidays..............I had forgotten how the economy suffers there and there are a lot of beggers everywhere....housekeeper in our hotel even stole my son's coat and his kid movies....it is a little sad....it makes you appreciate what you have here....that is for sure....not sure I want to go back any time soon......

If you have any experienecs to share about the economy there....please do.... .

--hide--

My Lithunian friends - family friends in Vilnius and others I have talked with here - tell me their economy is job-tight. I recall reading that there is often a discussion about whether to move to London, where the economy is perceived to be better. I have read that the 2012 UK economy was fairly weak in terms of GDP. ... I am a little more familiar with the UK, having traveled it and kept in communication with friends there. Its economy is nowhere near as fluid as the US, however, I would rather be in that country than many of the western European nations that look at a job as an entity to be protected by law rather than an opportunity created by an increase in demand.

Friends in Ireland are Spanish teachers. The economy in Ireland has tanked considerably but at least that nation has confronted its debt-driven economy and come to terms with it, unlike these United States. The entire country of Spain has one labor contract for the entire country, a decision that looked great years ago but has, obviously, hurt its recovery. Friends in Italy describe a country with a fair amount of stability despite the crises there.

A friend here taught in Greece for several years and follows its news religiously. She often comments to me - we attend Mass together - that she cannot imagine the degree of discord that is happening in that country. When she first told me this information, I asked her why? She replied that the Greeks are such a peace-loving people, so to be driven to have bloody riots in the streets shows the depty of the social changes there.

Friends in Germany report an economy in a significant degree of stability and with job opportunities. A friend in Sweden says she feels the economic downturn but still has her job. A friend in Switzerland said she has had to make adjustments. However, I have noticed that as much as these friends have felt various economic shifts, they still do a fair amount of traveling between the western European countries, but not, perhaps, as much as they used to do in the past.

Jan 9th 2013 new

Sorry for the typos. I'm still not used to these small screens.

Jan 9th 2013 new

I am not sure....I saw a lot of british and russians over in Europe. They seem to be the only ones able to afford traveling anywhere over there.......I thought to myself, well, maybe I should learn Russian and travel more often to england......I can understand now why england wants to get itself out of the european union.....they got all the money and don't need the european union money....

I also noticed, that the specific countries in europe have lost their "flair"...like you go into the hotel, the restaurants, and museums....and you all the employees are not specific to that country....For example in Vienna, all the employees in the museums and hotels were russians, lithuanians, and eastern block countries....I just didn't feel the country I was visiting unless I went to a museum and saw historical artifacts....

In my opinion, europe is not what it used to be with the doors opening up.....it is a mixed bag, and there is so much unemployment...people are hungry....who knows what will happen...the last time the european economy was this bad in france for example, there was the french revolution....because people were hungry.....

In any case, I won't be going back any time soon....I didn't like the feel.....and the way they look at people eating in restaurants...begging in front of the window...it is catastrophic....you feel guilty for eating over there....plus all the second hand smoke....I prefer my own country...thank you very much...

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I am not sure....I saw a lot of british and russians over in Europe. They seem to be the only ...

I am not sure....I saw a lot of british and russians over in Europe. They seem to be the only ones able to afford traveling anywhere over there.......I thought to myself, well, maybe I should learn Russian and travel more often to england......I can understand now why england wants to get itself out of the european union.....they got all the money and don't need the european union money....

I also noticed, that the specific countries in europe have lost their "flair"...like you go into the hotel, the restaurants, and museums....and you all the employees are not specific to that country....For example in Vienna, all the employees in the museums and hotels were russians, lithuanians, and eastern block countries....I just didn't feel the country I was visiting unless I went to a museum and saw historical artifacts....

In my opinion, europe is not what it used to be with the doors opening up.....it is a mixed bag, and there is so much unemployment...people are hungry....who knows what will happen...the last time the european economy was this bad in france for example, there was the french revolution....because people were hungry.....

In any case, I won't be going back any time soon....I didn't like the feel.....and the way they look at people eating in restaurants...begging in front of the window...it is catastrophic....you feel guilty for eating over there....plus all the second hand smoke....I prefer my own country...thank you very much...

--hide--
The sad thing is this is what the democrats want to do to OUR country too.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I am not sure....I saw a lot of british and russians over in Europe. They seem to be the only ...

--hide--

The seeds of fascism are being sown in Europe. Remember what happened after the Allies wrecked the German economy following WWI?

To me the euro fiasco seems to be yet another New York-London looting project designed to sabotage more meaningful European integration.

May 11th 2013 new

There are 26 million people unemployed in the EU. Irish nurses and teachers are deciding now to go on strike as they now feel that they have had enough.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said:Friends in Germany report an economy in a significant degree of stability and with job opportuniti...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

Friends in Germany report an economy in a significant degree of stability and with job opportunities. A friend in Sweden says she feels the economic downturn but still has her job. A friend in Switzerland said she has had to make adjustments. However, I have noticed that as much as these friends have felt various economic shifts, they still do a fair amount of traveling between the western European countries, but not, perhaps, as much as they used to do in the past.

--hide--

Don't forget that for most of Western Europe today, it is as easy to travel around from country to country just like we can easily travel around from state to state. No passport or visa needed.

Things are a lot worse here than the official statistics suggest (official unemployment rates have declined, not because so many jobs have been created or people getting jobs but because so many people have left the labor force, they just gave up to the tune of over 9 million in the last 4.5 years). Yet we travel around, not as much as we did just 6 years ago, but the highways, planes (however, there are fewer planes flying) and roads are still crowded.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) James-389322 said: There are 26 million people unemployed in the EU. Irish nurses and teachers are deciding now to g...
(Quote) James-389322 said:

There are 26 million people unemployed in the EU. Irish nurses and teachers are deciding now to go on strike as they now feel that they have had enough.

--hide--

James, can you explain a little more about the Irish nurses and teachers going on strike? Are those the ones working or
the ones looking for work? Why are they so fed up?

Posts 1 - 10 of 12