Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comisery points if your loved one has "reverted" to Islam.

I've found myself in a very touchy situation where I accidently found about my sister's conversion on Twitter and have decided to respect her decision to not tell my parents until she is financially stable.

Prayers are welcome, as are suggestions for books for my own reading pleasure and knowledge about Islam's teachings. Bonus points if you have dealt with a similar situation and have solid advice.

Please don't tell me how terrible a daughter I am for not telling my parents...I have talked this over with a trusted priest and believe this is the best way to love my sister at this moment.

May 13 new
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comisery points i...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comisery points if your loved one has "reverted" to Islam.

I've found myself in a very touchy situation where I accidently found about my sister's conversion on Twitter and have decided to respect her decision to not tell my parents until she is financially stable.

Prayers are welcome, as are suggestions for books for my own reading pleasure and knowledge about Islam's teachings. Bonus points if you have dealt with a similar situation and have solid advice.

Please don't tell me how terrible a daughter I am for not telling my parents...I have talked this over with a trusted priest and believe this is the best way to love my sister at this moment.

--hide--

Yes. It was shocking to me when my best friend, who was a devout Catholic and staunch defender of the faith, became dispondent and left the Catholic Church for a Christian Church. She was the last person I thought would ever leave the Catholic church and turn her back on and take her kids away from the blessed sacrament.

What's worst is that I am Godmother, through baptism, to two over her children. So, where does that leave me and my commitment? I made a vow to help her raise her two children (and really all of them in my heart) in the Catholic faith and I took that very seriously.

I also had to seek council from my Pastor. My Pastor and I feel that she will return one day, but I feel she is confusing and harming her kids spiritually in the meantime, especailly since they've been baptised in her new church. I really thought her oldest daughter, now a teenage, had a vocation as a nun. It hurts so much that they are away from the Eucharist.

All we can do if pray for them until they return to the faith, and they will. Have faith.

Praying rosary theheart hug
May 13 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Yes. It was shocking to me when my best friend, who was a devout Catholic and staunch defend...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Yes. It was shocking to me when my best friend, who was a devout Catholic and staunch defender of the faith, became dispondent and left the Catholic Church for a Christian Church. She was the last person I thought would ever leave the Catholic church and turn her back on and take her kids away from the blessed sacrament.

What's worst is that I am Godmother, through baptism, to two over her children. So, where does that leave me and my commitment? I made a vow to help her raise her two children (and really all of them in my heart) in the Catholic faith and I took that very seriously.

I also had to seek council from my Pastor. My Pastor and I feel that she will return one day, but I feel she is confusing and harming her kids spiritually in the meantime, especailly since they've been baptised in her new church. I really thought her oldest daughter, now a teenage, had a vocation as a nun. It hurts so much that they are away from the Eucharist.

All we can do if pray for them until they return to the faith, and they will. Have faith.

--hide--

Josephine, I, too, had the same experience with good friends of mine. All of a sudden, they're declaring, "I'm not being fed. I feel the style of worship at the other church is more 'my style'."

Then there are my family members who don't attend church, who don't accept or acknowledge their Catholic upbringing.

All we can do is pray, pray, pray that they will return to the Catholic faith.

May 13 new

You leave the door open and you keep your mouth shut...until such time as they might ask you for something.

May 13 new

I have 2 sister that left the church & attend elsewhere. One goes to a lutheran church & the other a christian church. They made there choices for various reasons. I have never said anything in regards to the choices they made with there families. They are my family. As my mom always says even if the church is not catholic at least your attending somewhere.

May 13 new

This past Saturday one of my granddaughters received her First Communion. The deacon asked that non-Catholics not approach to receive the Eucharist but if anyone would like to receive a blessing they should approach with arms crossed across their chest and the priest would recognize this as a signal to administer a special blessing. My sister, who has been away from the Catholic Church for over 35 years and would not even enter a Catholic Church until Saturday, asked if she could follow me up to Communion so that she could receive this blessing. I was both shocked and thrilled that she was choosing to do this and maybe to melt a little. I'm trying not to read too much into her choice to do this. I very vividly remember my own return to the Catholic Church after 20 years of being away. The first step is the hardest! I pray that the second step for her will be sooner than another 35 years. We are not a family that talks much about "the big things" so she and I have not discussed her abrupt and angry exit many years ago. In her mind it happened and it was her problem to deal with...not ours! What happened for us on Saturday was her way of talking to me without any discussions.

May 13 new

quote]Stephanie-811058 said:

[/quote]

Oh yes, Stephanie, everyone save my immediate family and one of my aunts are either not Catholic or left the Catholic Church, so I totally feel your pain! It's so hard because there isn't as strong a bond as there could be because they aren't in the Faith, so there's many things that I feel like I can't share with them. My advice is (and I'm doing this as well) is just keep on loving them and witness to them through your example, and pray hard for their conversion. That's really all you can do. But remember: nothing is impossible for God! biggrin I still have hope that one day my family will come back too! biggrin

May 13 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comi...

--hide--

HI Stephanie,

I am the oldest of five. I am the only practicing Catholic among the group. One brother was making a valiant effort to return but I don't know where he is with it at the moment. One brother doesn't want anyone telling him what to do -- had a big Catholic wedding twenty years ago though. And, my youngest brother is teetering between agnosticism and atheism, but he doth protest too much :-) comes down to how can all this evil happen if there really is a God. His wife I think however is teetering in wanting to believe :-) so we will see.

My sister was one of these who did everything her way, which was generally not in accord with Church teaching. Before her death she had started the process, went back to classes, had her children baptized and in RE, etc. Then Father said to her, okay, let's talk about validating your marriage -- which put the brakes on her progress. When I asked her about it, she said, "well, I don't want to be married in the Church in case I decide to divorce." I shook my head. So, she passed away nine months before Pete. Since her death, one of my nieces has gotten very involved with the Baptist church. One of her sister's has toyed with it -- been saved -- but that's it. Another sister, who was practicing her faith, has started going to one of the big megachurches, because it feels good and they have fun stuff for the kids. She I think will actually come around. Her marriage has fallen apart, not due to anything on her part, but due to the fact that her husband had a prescription pill addiction she didn't know about, and he is currently incarcerated. I think her wandering is part of the confusion over what has happened to her family.

Of my brother's kiddos: My niece Shyann asked for a Rosary for Christmas, stunning her mother and father, but I got her one. She wanted to start going to Mass, and they live not far from a great parish and she's old enough now to go on her own, so lots of prayers.

Another niece got very involved in a protestant church as a youth, not baptist but not sure which denomination it was. She has since I think sort of fallen away from that as well. Her younger sister has asked to go to mass with grammy -- so there is hope.

I just try to pray for them. My mom prayers everyday for their return to the church. And, whenever the opportunity arises we talk about it. Of my own children two are practicing, one is caught in the selfishness of her early twenties when she "can't seem to fit it in" and the youngest waffles but likewise can't seem to make it a priority.

I set an example and I pray for them, we talk about it and I have faith that they will return to the practice one day.

May 13 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: You leave the door open and you keep your mouth shut...until such time as they might ask you for something....
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

You leave the door open and you keep your mouth shut...until such time as they might ask you for something.

--hide--

ME!!! Keep my mouth shut. laughing laughing laughing

That's really difficult, especailly when she keeps inviting me to her church events.
May 13 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comi...

--hide--

My best friend went Sedevacantist a few years ago thanks to a guy she was dating and I don't think she's ever entirely come back. :( I'm afraid I don't know much about Islam though.

If it's any consolation, I believe you are correct in not telling your parents. You may want to hint to them to be praying a bit more than usual for her, but who knows... maybe she will come back! And then your parents will have fretted for nothing. It's a good decision especially being passed by a priest. flower I would avoid lying outright to them though.. if they ask directly, it may be God's will that they know. boggled

May God bless your efforts. I'll say a prayer for your family, especially your sister. theheart

Posts 1 - 10 of 23