Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

youtu.be

Unbelievable that they are trying to pass this off as funny.

May 13 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: youtu.be Unbelievable that they are trying to pass this off as funny...
(Quote) Mike-905381 said:

youtu.be

Unbelievable that they are trying to pass this off as funny.

--hide--

I must admit I giggled. Having one son with a ton of friends, plus three daughters. . .we've had many such conversations over the years lol. And, dad was going for the water hose. . .

May 13 new

I don't think the "LOL, boys will be boys" mentality is the correct way to reach our youth.

May 13 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: I don't think the "LOL, boys will be boys" mentality is the correct way to reach our...

I don't think the "LOL, boys will be boys" mentality is the correct way to reach our youth.

--hide--

It's a teaching moment. And, boys will be boys and girls will be girls, that is why we teach them boundaries and self mastery, all of which take a long time for most to achieve. It's cute because its not uncommon and many of us have encountered such situations, it's what we do with them that matters. In the commercial they were going to get sprayed with the water hose and I am sure a dressing down would follow.

The advertisement is for insurance so I don't think it was geared toward youth to begin with. But, most parents have encountered some sort of situation similar to that. Dad was trying to make sure everything was good and safe and only forgot one thing. Children are masters at showing us what we failed to take into account, like pointing the window the wrong way.

May 13 new

It reminded me of the movie "Sandlot" with all the boys being boys.

May 13 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: It's a teaching moment. And, boys will be boys and girls will be girls,
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

It's a teaching moment. And, boys will be boys and girls will be girls,

--hide--

It can't be both of those. Boys will be boys means it is expected that men/boys will behave badly. If that behavior is expected, then that is only because the behavior has become normalized. The boy used a learned expression that goes along with ogling someone over their body.

I don't find their behavior cute - it's serious behavior that is not funny.

May 13 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: It can't be both of those. Boys will be boys means it is expected that men/b...

It can't be both of those. Boys will be boys means it is expected that men/boys will behave badly. If that behavior is expected, then that is only because the behavior has become normalized. The boy used a learned expression that goes along with ogling someone over their body.

I don't find their behavior cute - it's serious behavior that is not funny.

--hide--

So how would you handle the situation, if it were your son and his friends? I don't see it as bad behavior, I see it as normal curiosity and a behavior that should be addressed absolutely so that it doesn't become a bad behavior.

May 13 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: So how would you handle the situation, if it were your son and his friends? I don't...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

So how would you handle the situation, if it were your son and his friends? I don't see it as bad behavior, I see it as normal curiosity and a behavior that should be addressed absolutely so that it doesn't become a bad behavior.

--hide--

Either the behavior is bad or it is not: it doesn't change character because it is repeated or of prolonged duration.

The concern here is more that Allstate and their advertising agency chose to use this type of behavior in their advertising. I suspect people wouldn't think it were so funny if they portrayed drunk drivers to sell a product.

May 13 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Either the behavior is bad or it is not: it doesn't change character because it is repeated or of...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Either the behavior is bad or it is not: it doesn't change character because it is repeated or of prolonged duration.

The concern here is more that Allstate and their advertising agency chose to use this type of behavior in their advertising. I suspect people wouldn't think it were so funny if they portrayed drunk drivers to sell a product.

--hide--

Behavior can be inappropriate and addressed, or not addressed and progress into far worse behavior. That's why moments like that are teaching moments, in which a parent starts to address the inappropriateness of the action and ways in which they master their natures. This also applies to girls by the way. The dad should have hit them with the water hose and then given them a good dressing down, which is what was intimated. A far cry from some little ten year olds discovering the next door neighbor with their binoculars to a drunk driver. If they had used teens or adults I would have found it far more disturbing.

May 14 new

Lauren, there are 2 things at play in this commercial. One is the act of the boys looking at their neighbor. (perhaps she's naked or undressing or even just standing there fully clothed. Regardless, they are looking at her body.) And the phrase, "Hello __________!!!" is commonly used when ogling a woman solely for her body.

"'Hello, nurse!' was a popular catcall used during the heyday of vaudeville. One of many running gags used in many vaudeville shows was the appearance of a voluptuous, suggestively-dressed woman wearing a nurse's uniform."

The second thing at play is the adults' reaction to this behavior. The celebrity in this commercial has a huge smile on his face. What does that convey? That is what I meant by "Boys will be boys!" It's as if we are saying, "What did you expect? They are not to blame. They couldn't help themselves."

On the contrary, through this teachable moment you show them that they can control those urges. I feel like you have already backed up these opinions yourself by talking about the inappropriateness of their actions. Apparently, we differ on the "cuteness."

Jerry's analogy is at the extreme end but I see his message as this:

• Nothing cute about drunk driving

• Nothing cute about looking at naked/undressing women or men

• Nothing cute about ogling fully-clothed men or women

While this commercial may, in fact, be a slice of life ( I agree) it's certainly not cute.

Posts 1 - 10 of 34