Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Sol-496426 said: ohhh no no no!!! If you are visiting Rome, Paris and London, you should certainly...
(Quote) Sol-496426 said:

ohhh no no no!!! If you are visiting Rome, Paris and London, you should certainly have to eat Italian Pasta, go to a French Caffe and in London take roast beef one day and the other fish and chips in one of the many pubs, if you see them packed, it is a good guarantee. I have lived in Europe most of my life and never got sick in any restaurant in any of those cities I can tell you! enjoy your trip!!

--hide--

Hi Sol!

I'm going to have to go with you here! I don't eat McDonald's in the US....I can't imagine feeling the need to do so abroad! I will risk intestinal discomfort for great food! I have to say half of my desire to go is to try new foods. I am a bit of a foodie and I love finding new and amazing places to eat! Thanks for the perspective!!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Purchase a translation book (Rick Steve's has some great ones) for French and Italian. Yes,...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

Purchase a translation book (Rick Steve's has some great ones) for French and Italian. Yes, most people speak English, but that's not the point. If you make an effort to speak or understand their language and culture they will be more welcoming. Sadly many USC's leave a bad impression on most when they travel abroad. ALWAYS say hello to the shop owners and great the staff with a smile in their native tongue. That will go far in having a pleasant trip.

Two things you HAVE to do in Rome . . . go to the Sistine Chapel (get there VERY early and don't let the tour operators push you out, they have a schedule and if you are not with their group they tend to run over "single" tourists). Go to confession in St. Peter's. It touches your soul.

Be flexible . . . Ask for directions, have fun.
--hide--

Hi Joanna,

I will definitely make the effort to speak other languages: I will try to speak better English in London wink , trot out my rusty French in Paris and my Latin in Rome. Some of my friends tell me that between Spanish, French and Latin I should manage Italian pretty well. I hope so! I love that you encourage confession in St. Peter's! I hadn't thought about it! Any suggestions for Masses?? Thanks for your kind encouragement Joanna.

In Christ,

Leyden

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: ... Eiffel Tower ... The line might be long to go up in the tower.
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: ... Eiffel Tower ... The line might be long to go up in the tower.
--hide--

If you plan to take the lift up Eiffel Tower, you could reduce waiting time by taking the stairs first from the ground to the first 'floor', then queue to take the lift to the next section up, the queue here is shorter. If you prefer not paying, take the metro to 'Trocadero' and follow signs for Eiffel Tower, the view from there is amazing. Have fun!

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Sol! I'm going to have to go with you here! I don't eat McDonald&...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Hi Sol!

I'm going to have to go with you here! I don't eat McDonald's in the US....I can't imagine feeling the need to do so abroad! I will risk intestinal discomfort for great food! I have to say half of my desire to go is to try new foods. I am a bit of a foodie and I love finding new and amazing places to eat! Thanks for the perspective!!

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

As weird as it sounds, I do recommend trying McDonalds at least once abroad. I've made a habit of trying it in every country I'm in for more than one dinner...the menus are different and the "standards" usually taste different. And I find it absolutely fascinating. And in general, the food is WAY fresher in Europe.

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi CMers , I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it&...

Hi CMers ,
I'm traveling to Europe in July (looks like mid to end of the month) and it's my first time abroad! I'm very excited but I have so many questions! I have opted not to do a tour as this late in the game, and considering that folks spend up to a year planning their adventure, tours are really expensive! (I also didn't want so spend my future progeny's dental and college fund because that seems like an uncomfortable future conversation!) I will be visiting London, Paris and Rome over 8 gloriously jam-packed days. However I want to plan my own itinerary.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? The package includes hotel and air so that's covered. Now I need ideas for making the most of 2 days in London (cause really? I feel like between Jane Austen and Bridget Jones' Diary...I've been there...I'm kidding Londoners...I've never read Bridget Jones' Diary) and 2 days in Paris with 4 spent in Rome (where I plan to stalk the Pope**). Any suggestions for places to eat, play, pray and love being around people would be so welcome!!

I would also welcome hotel suggestions because I think I can still check againts the travel companies suggestions and match them to any CMers make. Thank you, kind souls, for any help!

In Christ,
Leyden

**any suggestions for evading the Swiss Guard also welcome....cause ya don't want to mess with men unafraid to wear those outfits.

--hide--

I lived in London for a while. If you need any details on London, feel free to message me! Anyway, if you're landing in Heathrow, take the Tube to your hotel. Do not take a taxi. The traffic is horrible, it will take longer, and it's more expensive. In fact, the great thing about Europe is that you don't need to use a car at all. You can get to everywhere you need to go by walking, subways, and trains. Anyway, back to London. As for places to pray, I recommend going to Westminster Cathedral (not the Abbey, that's the Anglican one) for mass if you're there on a weekend. If you go to the 7pm mass on Sunday, you can chat with the young adults group at a nearby pub after mass. Most of them are in their 30s (at least from my experiences with them) so don't be bashful. Besides, its a great way to meet the locals who are also Catholic. Plus that way you get your British pub experience too! As for the attractions, Westminster Abbey has the longest line if you get there late. So if you really want to see it, get there early. The line for the Tower of London isn't too bad whenever you get there, and there's not much waiting you have to do except to see the Crown Jewels. If historical artifacts interest you, then the British Museum is the best bargain because it's free to enter. There's so much I can say about London, I'll just leave it at that for now and you can ask me a question on anything.

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: As weird as it sounds, I do recommend trying McDonalds at least once ab...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

As weird as it sounds, I do recommend trying McDonalds at least once abroad. I've made a habit of trying it in every country I'm in for more than one dinner...the menus are different and the "standards" usually taste different. And I find it absolutely fascinating. And in general, the food is WAY fresher in Europe.

--hide--

Stephanie is right about the McDonalds. The ones over there are WAY better than the ones here in the states. The ones in the UK are good, but the best one I ever experienced was in Switzerland. I ordered two chicken sandwiches excepting what I usually get in the US. The chickens were big and juicy, and they were grilled too! The fries were bigger, wedge shaped, and cooked relatively healthier. That said, if you're only going to be there for a few days, make the most of eating the local food, and don't go to a Mickey Ds more than once if you can help it.

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, ....Also some essential elements I always carry in my backpack regardless of where I'...
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, ....Also some essential elements I always carry in my backpack regardless of where I'm going are: a toilet paper roll, several little bottles of purell hand sanitizer, a bottle of water, and my trusty old-school compass. God bless, -guillermo
--hide--

Hi Guillermo,

LOL! Not gonna lie: throw in a lip balm and a Kindle...and you've got the contents of my purse RIGHT NOW!! As for Spain in 2014, this is going to be a longer trip and hopefully allow me to hit the places where St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross hung out, or ya know, were kept prisoner.

In Honduras, I did explore the Mayan temples...it was an eerie experience. Then did some hiking up a mountain and 30 minutes later did some running down a mountain whilst being chased by monkeys. No bueno. I'll check out that link soon....so do you recommend recording the experiences? I was toying with a blog for fams and friends...but wasn't sure if that would be worth it?

In Christ,

Leyden

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-834944 said: Stephanie is right about the McDonalds. The ones over there are WAY better than the ones here in...
(Quote) Robert-834944 said:

Stephanie is right about the McDonalds. The ones over there are WAY better than the ones here in the states. The ones in the UK are good, but the best one I ever experienced was in Switzerland. I ordered two chicken sandwiches excepting what I usually get in the US. The chickens were big and juicy, and they were grilled too! The fries were bigger, wedge shaped, and cooked relatively healthier. That said, if you're only going to be there for a few days, make the most of eating the local food, and don't go to a Mickey Ds more than once if you can help it.

--hide--

Dear good soul, alright it is clear that the Euro Mickey D's propoganda machine is hard at work....and they have convinced me. I'll try it in Rome where I have a few more days of feeding to do! Thanks Robert, I will ping you with more questions!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Joanna, I will definitely make the effort to speak other languages: I wi...

Hi Joanna,

I will definitely make the effort to speak other languages: I will try to speak better English in London , trot out my rusty French in Paris and my Latin in Rome. Some of my friends tell me that between Spanish, French and Latin I should manage Italian pretty well. I hope so! I love that you encourage confession in St. Peter's! I hadn't thought about it! Any suggestions for Masses?? Thanks for your kind encouragement Joanna.

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

You should be able to go to any of the Mass's at St. Peter's, I usually just walk around until I find an English speaking one. They (English speaking Mass's) are usually pilgrimages from other countries, but they tend not to mind if you join them. At least they didn't when I was there. Latin is the language that will bridge all gaps!

Also, go below the main altar, you will have to access it from another location (purchase a book or map of the Basilica) If I remember correctly, I had a very intense experience on the level below the main level right where the high altar is located.

Soak it up, enjoy!
May 13th 2013 new

I've not been to London, Paris, or Rome. Just a little jealous! I've always wanted to see England and maybe search out old Catholic sites. Also, in London, I'd like to visit Tyburn, where so many martyrs died.

www.tyburnconvent.org.uk

Posts 51 - 60 of 78