Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

1 CORINTHIANS - Chapter 7

Lessons relating to marriage and celibacy. Virginity is preferable to a married state.

1 Now concerning the thing whereof you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman:

2 But because of fornication let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

3 *Let the husband render the debt to his wife: and the wife also in like manner to the husband.

4 The wife hath not power of her own body; but the husband. And in like manner the husband also hath not power of his own body; but the wife.

5 Defraud not one another, unless, perhaps, by consent, for a time, that you may give yourselves to prayer: and return together again, lest Satan tempt you for your incontinency.

6 But I speak this by indulgence, not by commandment.

7 For I would that all men were even as myself: but every one hath his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that.

8 But I say to the unmarried, and to the widows: it is good for them if they so continue, even as I.

9 But if they do not contain themselves, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Ver. 2. &c. But because of fornication, let every man have, and live with his own wife,[1] and not leave her, nor dismiss her. Take notice, that St. Paul speaks these words to those that are already married, and speaks not of the unmarried till the 8th verse. He does not then here exhort every one to marry, but admonishes married persons to live together, and not to refuse the marriage duty, which neither the husband nor the wife can do without mutual consent, because of the marriage engagement. Yet he advises them to abstain sometimes from what they may lawfully do, that they may give themselves to prayer,[2] and as it is added in the common Greek copies, to fasting. St. Chrysostom observes, that the words of St. Paul, are not only, that they may pray, (which no day must be omitted) but that they may give themselves to prayer, that is, may be better disposed and prepared for prayer, contemplation, and for receiving the holy Sacrament, as we find the priests even of the ancient law, were to abstain from their wives, when they were employed in the functions of their ministry. But such kind of advice is not relished by all that pretend to be reformers. And return together again....yet I speak this by way of indulgence, of what is allowed to married persons, and not commanded them, unless when one of the married couple is not willing to abstain. (Witham)

Haydock Bible Commentary (Catholic Bible) haydock1859.tripod.com

Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary

May 13th 2013 new

Thanks, Bernard, for reminding us that there's no room for interpretation when it comes to Chastity.

I have learnt that having no power over my body is leaving the work of the Holy Spirit to live inside me, so that I can one day hope to surrender to my future husband. I must say that I struggle with it every day. If the theoretical knowledge of my body as Temple of the Holy Spirit had sunk in me, I'm sure I would be taking better care of myself! embarassed

We must first let go of our selfish ways with our carnal pasions (gluttony, for example). Only then can we aspire to live in this earth without being of this earth, so we may attain a higher level of spirituality.

I'm sorry for the overuse / misuse of the words power & surrender in today's culture. They are not opposites. Surrendering to the work of the Holy Spirit empowers us to follow our path to Heaven - hopefully be the hand of a special one. Battling eyelashes

May He bless you for sharing your vast knowledge of Scripture, Theology, and overall Wisdom. hug

Mari

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Mari-894290 said: Thanks, Bernard, for reminding us that there's no room for interpretation when it comes to Cha...
(Quote) Mari-894290 said:

Thanks, Bernard, for reminding us that there's no room for interpretation when it comes to Chastity.

I have learnt that having no power over my body is leaving the work of the Holy Spirit to live inside me, so that I can one day hope to surrender to my future husband. I must say that I struggle with it every day. If the theoretical knowledge of my body as Temple of the Holy Spirit had sunk in me, I'm sure I would be taking better care of myself!

We must first let go of our selfish ways with our carnal pasions (gluttony, for example). Only then can we aspire to live in this earth without being of this earth, so we may attain a higher level of spirituality.

I'm sorry for the overuse / misuse of the words power & surrender in today's culture. They are not opposites. Surrendering to the work of the Holy Spirit empowers us to follow our path to Heaven - hopefully be the hand of a special one.

May He bless you for sharing your vast knowledge of Scripture, Theology, and overall Wisdom.

Mari

--hide--
No vast knowlege here.I just research,copy and paste. laughing

May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: No vast knowlege here.I just research,copy and paste.
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

No vast knowlege here.I just research,copy and paste.

--hide--

Such a humble man you are.... Thanks for the reminder of St. Paul's words though.

May 15th 2013 new

You are welcome.

May 21st 2013 new
theheart
Posts 1 - 6 of 6