Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

What makes something good?

May 14th 2013 new
I just heard Bishop Folton J Sheen talk on this, "something is good if it does what it is created to do." His first example was a watch is good if it tells me the correct time.

The Bible says as God reviewed His work in creation every day He called everything good. Then we must ask what is the reason God created us? The Baltimore Catechism says to love, serve, and know Him. These truths were reveiled by God through many means over centuries in Word, evaluation and the very nature around us.

Today many claim by their actions and words they do not know, love, or serve God. Why then do so many reject the very law writen on our heart by God? These laws are rejected to follow what one man says is good? Good for who? A short look at the first heresy the Church faced, Gnosticism, tells they believe everything was created by someone imperfect, and there is a secret knowledge that alone saves one from this universe.

Comparing this to Catholic teaching: everything was created by the creation God placed here after the fall of Adam and Eve. And then Jesus commanded the Apostles to GO FORTH AND TELL NO ONE! Greater love hath no one than to lay down his own life for another; Jesus gave us the ultimate example, so that we may live with God forever. Verses the world's example today from many sources: do what I say not what I do!

Abortion is good for a woman because pregnancy is bad for a woman! Really, how is life continued?
May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just heard Bishop Folton J Sheen talk on this, "something is good if it does what it is created to ...
(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just heard Bishop Folton J Sheen talk on this, "something is good if it does what it is created to do." His first example was a watch is good if it tells me the correct time.

The Bible says as God reviewed His work in creation every day He called everything good. Then we must ask what is the reason God created us? The Baltimore Catechism says to love, serve, and know Him. These truths were reveiled by God through many means over centuries in Word, evaluation and the very nature around us.

Today many claim by their actions and words they do not know, love, or serve God. Why then do so many reject the very law writen on our heart by God? These laws are rejected to follow what one man says is good? Good for who? A short look at the first heresy the Church faced, Gnosticism, tells they believe everything was created by someone imperfect, and there is a secret knowledge that alone saves one from this universe.

Comparing this to Catholic teaching: everything was created by the creation God placed here after the fall of Adam and Eve. And then Jesus commanded the Apostles to GO FORTH AND TELL NO ONE! Greater love hath no one than to lay down his own life for another; Jesus gave us the ultimate example, so that we may live with God forever. Verses the world's example today from many sources: do what I say not what I do!

Abortion is good for a woman because pregnancy is bad for a woman! Really, how is life continued?
--hide--

Clair, I am not sure I am following you, but one thought did come to mind. Why are so many not following what is written in our hearts to love and serve and know God? Because we are flawed, concupiscent people. We know that there is something missing, when talking with youth we talked about the God sized hole in our hearts that begs to be filled. . .and people erroneously try to fill it with all sorts of worldly things, drugs, sex, wealth, fame, perhaps even knowledge or science. . .all things that on the surface may provide an instant and satisfying reaction, the problem is the satisfaction and pleasure is only fleeting, so people are drawn down a path of ever increasing grasping for that elusive fulfillment, but none of those things every fill that space inside of us, reserved for God, nothing but God will suffice. Unfortunately, it isn't until a person encounters that bleakness and reaches for God that it will change, and even then the call of the material world will still try to pull them back. . .it is a consequence of our fallen nature. But, it is not a hopeless thing, the more we reach for God, the more we pray for our brothers and sisters, the more we draw the power and love of God into the workings of the human world.

May 14th 2013 new
Hi Lauren,

This thread follows the other thread I just created in St. Peter's Square. The admin do not like my style of posting. Let people supply the rope with wich they hang themselves.

I started this ihere because I felt I needed to get it out before I forgot what I wanted to say. Bow to see how soon one or both threads poof! People accept their own words as much more honest than someone telling them.

And Pope Benedict commanded us when in NY to bring our Catholic faith to the world in our everyday lives. The freedom of religion butting heads with the progressive idea that only means freedom to worship. "STOP contradicting the lies we are trying to propigate with the TRUTH we know you Catholics have." kind of thing! rosary
May 14th 2013 new
May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: Hi Lauren, This thread follows the other thread I just created in St. Peter's Square. The admi...
(Quote) Clair-6292 said: Hi Lauren,

This thread follows the other thread I just created in St. Peter's Square. The admin do not like my style of posting. Let people supply the rope with wich they hang themselves.

I started this ihere because I felt I needed to get it out before I forgot what I wanted to say. Bow to see how soon one or both threads poof! People accept their own words as much more honest than someone telling them.

And Pope Benedict commanded us when in NY to bring our Catholic faith to the world in our everyday lives. The freedom of religion butting heads with the progressive idea that only means freedom to worship. "STOP contradicting the lies we are trying to propigate with the TRUTH we know you Catholics have." kind of thing!
--hide--

Trying to follow you lol. I have found in my experience, the best way to bring our Faith to the world is by first making it as essential to your being as breathing, so that you act in your faith as smoothly and without deliberate thought and planning because it is what and who you are. And, then by moving, serving, living among the people in the world. Set the example, answer their questions, but more importantly love them through prayer and action. One person can change the life of another, and so it continues.

May 15th 2013 new

Easy answer is good is what Christ says is good.

Serving others, forgiving others, loving others is good. Sacrificing our wants and desires, and yes, even ourselves for others is good.

God is Love. Not God is loving, but God actually IS Love. This is a concept far beyond any man made abstract, and our perhaps, inability to realise what God is, not what he does [though the two are interwined to the point to be difficult to distiniguish].

So, God is Love. That is his nature. He cannot act outside his nature. Love [or more semantically "charity"] is as described, not rejoicing in evil, not wanting, not lying, being patient, kind, humble, et cetera. So, when we do these things, we are loving, we are mimicking God's nature, even though we cannot fully be God's nature.

God is also good.

Therefore, if we copy God's behaviour of lovingness, then we, in our own way, acheive some measure of "good". More for actions than for self and nature.

In this day and age, I think its quite blatantly obvious what is not good. Abortion is not good. But so many in society say it is good. But abortion isn't loving. It is elevating the "rights" [read desires/wants] of the mother ahead of the child. That isn't loving, that is selfishness. Therefore, it is not loving because it is not self-sacrificing for the good of the other. Therefore, abortion is not good. Continuning a pregnancy is good. Even if mother and baby sadly die.

Christ said we would come to an age where the wicked call good evil and evil good.

We see this in those seeking to redefine marriage to accomodate same sex couples. They say "love" is good. They say "love" between two members of the same gender is just as "good" as love between opposite gendered partners. They say their "rights" to marry will make them "equal",which is "good".

However, it is not self-sacrificing. God made it clear the fate of those who blatantly practice homosexual sexual acts. Involving one's self in sodomy not only injures their own soul, but the soul of their partner. Therefore, risking the other's soul for the purpose of their own selfish pleasure is not "good". Sex must be open to life. To contracept, to sterilise, to sodomise, these things close sex to life. Therefore, they go against the nature of something [sex and the persons], and at risking the soul of the partner and self become "not good".

It gets there in a round about kind of way what is good and what is not good.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6