Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

If sex is only to be used for the purpose of procreation, then is it a sin for infertile couples to have sex when they know about their infertility?

May 16th 2013 new
Sex is not solely for procreation. It also has a unitive function for the couple. Sex is not prohibited from the infertile through some physical disorder nor because of menopause. The two aspects of marriage, the procreative and the unitive cannot be separated and one is not primary to the other, they are both important. Sterility is not intrinsically evil and procreation is not a given, a child is a gift.

From the Catechism:

www.usccb.org.
1654 Spouses to whom God has not granted children can nevertheless have a conjugal life full of meaning, in both human and Christian terms. Their marriage can radiate a fruitfulness of charity, of hospitality, and of sacrifice.

2374 Couples who discover that they are sterile suffer greatly. What will you give me, asks Abraham of God, for I continue childless?164 And Rachel cries to her husband Jacob, Give me children, or I shall die!165 (1654)

2378 A child is not something owed to one, but is a gift. The supreme gift of marriage is a human person. A child may not be considered a piece of property, an idea to which an alleged right to a child would lead. In this area, only the child possesses genuine rights: the right to be the fruit of the specific act of the conjugal love of his parents, and the right to be respected as a person from the moment of his conception.170

2379 The Gospel shows that physical sterility is not an absolute evil. Spouses who still suffer from infertility after exhausting legitimate medical procedures should unite themselves with the Lords Cross, the source of all spiritual fecundity. They can give expression to their generosity by adopting abandoned children or performing demanding services for others.

May 16th 2013 new
(quote) Alexander-571604 said: If sex is only to be used for the purpose of procreation, then is it a sin for infertile couples to have sex when they know about their infertility?
Along with the CCC texts, I wanted to add that infertile couples can still be open to a child. Even if according to medical opinions, they cannot conceive, God can give them that grace. Sex is about openness to children and God's grace.
May 16th 2013 new
Nicely said. biggrin Praying
May 16th 2013 new
Thnaks Lauren! wave

Sex was made for procreation yes, but God made it feel good, so we can share with our beloved spouse our whole selves. The bible says, it is better to be married than to burn.

As a still fairly young woman, and past childbearing years, I am looking forward to being with the man that God has planned for me. Looking forward to many times of not just playing Pinnacle.
May 17th 2013 new
Alexander, re. your question: familiarize yourself with Theology of the Body. I think you'll like the answer to your question.
May 17th 2013 new
If that were the case a lot of people would be committing a sin. Married couples still make love when it is no longer possible to procreate. God made woman not able to conceive after a certain age for good reason. It is dangerous for her health and that of the unborn child.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7