Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

May 15th 2013 new
I personally prefer the OF/Novus Ordo. It's what I grew up with, and the vast majority of the Masses I have assisted at have been in that form. That said, I respect those who prefer the EF, and would be open to dating or marrying a woman who preferred it -- so long as she didn't look down on me for my preference.

I also enjoy an occasional Byzantine Liturgy; and I will admit, I have daydreamed about marrying a "Byzantine Beauty". I don't know if I would switch to an Eastern Catholic Church; if I was dating an EC lady, I suppose whether to switch or not would be part of the process of discerning marriage.
May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM. However, in recently speaking with several good people who do not share my feelings as of yet, I find that I'm a bit frightened about wedding someone who doesn't share my love of the the Old Rite. I have no problem attending the Novus Ordo (I'm not a Sede or PiusX or anything) but I REALLY prefer not to do so.

Thoughts anyone? if you had found someone who was great on every other score, would this be a deal breaker? I did not find the Old Mass until my adulthood and would like my children to learn it from the beginning. The beauty and soloemnity are overwhelmingly awesome, not to mention that, at least in my own diocese , the New Mass is not done so well or so reverently.

Thoughts???

--hide--

Despite the judgmentalism i've seen and experienced within one of the Tridentine Rite churches i've attended for years of some parishoners, i really feel that i would be most comfortable in a marriage to someone who prefers the Tridentine Rite Mass since it still seems to be stronger in faith despite the gossipyness of the smaller parishes. i personally am willing to attend the Novus Ordo to be able to go to daily Mass but am not willing to take Communion from anyone other than a priest, so definitely prefer the traditional requirements of the Tridentine Rite.

How conservative are Catholic men who are Novus Ordo? i guess i've never met one who was but if it's possible that would be OK. The ones who've asked me out who were Novus Ordo generally did not have a belief that ps should be considered a problem or that the Pope was always correct about bc so how could i allign myself with that and have future sons raised with such lack of morality?

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM. However, in recently speaking with several good people who do not share my feelings as of yet, I find that I'm a bit frightened about wedding someone who doesn't share my love of the the Old Rite. I have no problem attending the Novus Ordo (I'm not a Sede or PiusX or anything) but I REALLY prefer not to do so.

Thoughts anyone? if you had found someone who was great on every other score, would this be a deal breaker? I did not find the Old Mass until my adulthood and would like my children to learn it from the beginning. The beauty and soloemnity are overwhelmingly awesome, not to mention that, at least in my own diocese , the New Mass is not done so well or so reverently.

Thoughts???

--hide--

Naomi, I find myself in a similar position; I have just recently started attending Novus Ordo again (albeit as last resort) since converting to Traditional Catholicism in mid-2010 and am leery of those who have no interest in the TLM.

Would it be a deal breaker if she wasn't into it? I suppose it wouldn't, but she would have to be fairly orthodox as a Novus Ordo-er. (I was born and raised in the Novus Ordo, and find it lacking compared the Traditional Latin Mass.)

I would strongly consider marrying into an Eastern rite, I have to say.

May 16th 2013 new
Growing up, I was exposed to different mass forms (TLM and Novus Ordo in English/Latin). I think my favorite is Novus Ordo in Latin, but I also love English Masses. Although, that love of English Mass is probably clouded by the fact I haven't understood Mass in almost 8 months (Yay for living abroad!).
May 16th 2013 new
I wouldn't, I'm afraid. It's not a simply a matter of preference to me, but I really don't want to get into it.
May 18th 2013 new
They aren't having sermons that are completely negative now about the other Tridentine Rite Masses so i'd be willing to attend these as well since they are still not entirely disconnected from mother Church.
May 19th 2013 new
It would not be a deal breaker to marry somebody who was Catholic but of a different rite, nor somebody who preferred one form or the other of my rite.

It would be a deal breaker if somebody took the position that one rite (or form of a rite) or another (even my own) was holier/more valid/inherently better than the others.

The variety of forms we have as Catholics should be a source of strength. I want nothing to do with somebody who has the delusion that their personal preferences are God's commandments.
May 19th 2013 new
Or maybe they don't consider 'their personal preferences' to be 'God's commandments,' but rather they have a theological conviction that they are correct. In such a case, they aren't mere 'personal preferences' to begin with. Some people go to the traditional Mass out of 'preference' but that's not who we're talking about here. The issues go much deeper than Coke vs. Pepsi, whether one understands or acknowledges it.

And there I go; tried not to say anything more but couldn't resist. I'll make another resolution, as there's little point in bothering here.
May 19th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: Or maybe they don't consider 'their personal preferences' to be 'God's commandments,' but rather they have a theological conviction that they are correct. In such a case, they aren't mere 'personal preferences' to begin with. Some people go to the traditional Mass out of 'preference' but that's not who we're talking about here. The issues go much deeper than Coke vs. Pepsi, whether one understands or acknowledges it.

And there I go; tried not to say anything more but couldn't resist. I'll make another resolution, as there's little point in bothering here.
There is no question that they don't consider them to be mere personal preferences. You are absolutely correct that they have talked themselves into a "theological conviction."

Therein lies the problem; they are dead wrong.

A valid form of the Mass is a valid form of the Mass. It doesn't matter if you call it "Mass" or "Divine Liturgy." It doesn't matter if it's in Latin, Greek, or some vernacular. Any so-called "theological conviction" to the contrary is nothing but arrogant fantasy.

You are also correct that the issues do go deeper than Coke vs Pepsi. Some people respond better to one form of the Mass than to others. There is nothing wrong with that, and they should certainly go to the form that does them the most good. What is repellant is when somebody takes the attitude that the one that does them the most good is somehow better, or "more pleasing to God" or some other such rubbish.

The fact that the issues at stake are deeper and more profound than a choice of soft drink in no way alters the reality that people are still making a personal choice between equally legitimate options. And just because one of those options might make abundantly more sense than the other options for a particular individual in no way de-legitimzes the other options.
May 19th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: Or maybe they don't consider 'their personal preferences' to be 'God's commandments,' but rather they have a theological conviction that they are correct. In such a case, they aren't mere 'personal preferences' to begin with. Some people go to the traditional Mass out of 'preference' but that's not who we're talking about here. The issues go much deeper than Coke vs. Pepsi, whether one understands or acknowledges it.

To be clear, I have no problem with people preferring one form to another. I have no problem with the idea that to an individual person a certain form can make a great deal of difference. I have no problem with somebody who has a long list of reason why they absolutely want to go to one particular form...as long as those reasons do not include claims that their chosen form is somehow universally and inherently superior to all others nor that all non-chosen forms are illegitimate, invalid, inherently inferior etc.
Posts 21 - 30 of 44