Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sunday Mass

May 21st 2013 new
I have been running into people who think its okay to miss mass on Sunday, and can't even make it Saturday night ! A lot has to do with there job and such, but you would think you could make the time anyway, or even ask for a few hours to go to mass. We seem to be forgeting it is a mortal sin! I mean if it was not important God would not have made it law, right? He knows the world is so busy and hectic, that we need that day of rest and worship to take time and thank him for all his blessings and just be still. Thats what makes us different from other religions, and is the heart of our faith. Anyone feel the s
May 27th 2013 new
In this day and age, most people have an opportunity every week to make Sunday Mass if they want to. Granted, it may be difficult for some in rural areas if they have really odd job hours, but anywhere near an urban or suburban area, despite the shrinking numbers of priests, one who wants to attend Sunday Mass can find any number of opportunites in some parish somewhere. Finding Mass schedules of nearby parishes is easier than ever thanks to Internet, but even before Internet, an ordinary telephone directory was all that was required, or one could just stop in a church and grab a bulletin if necessary. Even driving an hour or two for Sunday Mass should not be considered extraordinary if necessary.
May 28th 2013 new
If someone thinks its ok to miss Mass I would think they are falling into idolatry. And I don't think they really understand what Mass really is. Its essentially heaven on earth. Its human nature to get caught up in the here and now that's even more reason why we need to center our lives around it.
May 28th 2013 new
I have a relative that used to go regularly to 6:30AM Mass...Monday thru Friday...and skip Sunday! She didn't like the crowds on Sunday. I know the "rule" is Sunday but it is hard to argue with someone like that!
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Sheila-953093 said: I have a relative that used to go regularly to 6:30AM Mass...Monday thru Friday...and skip Sunday! She didn't like the crowds on Sunday. I know the "rule" is Sunday but it is hard to argue with someone like that!
Sheila -- some people have a psychological condition that causes extreme anxiety when they are in crowds. It's called agoraphobia (fear of crowds/crowded places). Obviously this isn't a medical diagnosis, but am just pointing out the possibility.


May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-870064 said: I have been running into people who think its okay to miss mass on Sunday, and can't even make it Saturday night ! A lot has to do with there job and such, but you would think you could make the time anyway, or even ask for a few hours to go to mass. We seem to be forgeting it is a mortal sin! I mean if it was not important God would not have made it law, right? He knows the world is so busy and hectic, that we need that day of rest and worship to take time and thank him for all his blessings and just be still. Thats what makes us different from other religions, and is the heart of our faith. Anyone feel the s
We have been given the Commandment to "keep holy the Lord's day." The Commandment itself doesn't spell out attending Mass, but this is a long-term Church law (referred to as a Precept which specifies the law of the Lord). It is NOT to be taken lightly, despite what's happening today. People have become lax, using the excuse they can pray at home, and other flimsy excuses. Yes they can and should pray at home, but at home there's no celebration of the Eucharist -- the focal point of the Mass.

There are legitimate situations that the Church recognizes, but sleeping in after a long party on Saturday night isn't one of them. Some people are obligated to work and cannot make suitable arrangements with their employer. A doctor in the middle of an operation would have a difficult time explaining why he left his patient "opened up" while he excused himself (as an example). Taking care of someone who is ill is another legitimate possibility if someone can't be present to help out. Same with an infant. Personal illness of course is understandable. Distance can be a factor, although there isn't a definite figure given as to what constitutes an unreasonable distance.

On rare occasions, there might be personal reasons, such as a vacation in an isolated area. Some would argue differently about this, but a person can be excused in such circumstances. The effort to attend Mass should still be made where possible. Also, this should not be a frequent excuse.

When in doubt about a specific situation, it's best to consult the pastor or parish priest. They will evaluate the circumstances and excuse a person, if warranted. It's best to do this before the fact so the issue is clear.

The Mass is NOT a chore to be done. It's a privilege given to us by the Almighty. We are to be thankful for what we have been giving -- attending Mass is intended to also be a time when we express our gratitude to the One who has blessed us with what we have.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Joseph-903200 said: If someone thinks its ok to miss Mass I would think they are falling into idolatry. And I don't think they really understand what Mass really is. Its essentially heaven on earth. Its human nature to get caught up in the here and now that's even more reason why we need to center our lives around it.
Thinking it is alright to miss mass on Sunday has absolutely nothing to do with idolatry.
May 29th 2013 new
If they feel Mass can be missed than does that not mean they are choosing to do something else with their time.
May 30th 2013 new
As a simple thought experiment for someone who thiks that "God understands" that it's all right to miss Mass on Sundays due to a busy work schedule, think on this:

The rural peasants of Christendom worked out in the fields from dawn until dusk, six days of the week. And yet, despite having a backbreaking 72-hour workweek in some instances, and commonly having a very large family to look after, on the whole they went to Mass every single day.

What excuse do we have for not attending Mass even once a week?
May 30th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-873983 said: As a simple thought experiment for someone who thiks that "God understands" that it's all right to miss Mass on Sundays due to a busy work schedule, think on this:

The rural peasants of Christendom worked out in the fields from dawn until dusk, six days of the week. And yet, despite having a backbreaking 72-hour workweek in some instances, and commonly having a very large family to look after, on the whole they went to Mass every single day.

What excuse do we have for not attending Mass even once a week?
In what century and where did this supposed daily mass attendance take place by, "The rural peasants of Christendom... ." ?

Daily Mass attendance by the average person is only a rather recent (within the last 100 years or so) phenomena. And it was rare even during the hay day of the Church in moire recent times before the 60's.
Posts 1 - 10 of 66