Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Im heartbroken to announce that last week, we discovered a crushed consecrated Host beneath one of the kneelers, the pastor of a small yet devout Californian parish says. He pauses for a moment before he goes on, his voice choked by just indignation and sadness: This is God, people. God. Then he drops the bomb. Im writing to Pope Francis to do away with the practice of Communion in the hand altogether. I believe most of the abuses and blasphemies that the Eucharist has undergone is because of this practice.catholicinsight.com
May 21st 2013 new
I still receive Communion on the tongue, even if everyone else receives it in the hand. Some chapels here provide kneelers for Communion. Thanks, you just gave me an idea...wouldn't hurt to talk or write our own parishes to make them aware of this.
May 26th 2013 new
While people are permitted to receive Holy Communion in the hand, I would have to agree with the author of the article that it is a big mistake. Too many abuses. Too much lack of reverence.

It reminds me of the old saying, "Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi." How you pray, is how you believe is how you live. And central to the way we pray is our posture towards the substantial presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. After all, God is not something to be grasped at. Rather, He is to be received in all humility with as much care as possible to not abuse the precious gift He has given us.
May 26th 2013 new
It was probably a non-Catholic who didn't know what to do with Our Lord. I agree, restricting receiving the Eucharist to the Tongue only will greatly reduce this abuse.
May 27th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said:
Im heartbroken to announce that last week, we discovered a crushed consecrated Host beneath one of the kneelers, the pastor of a small yet devout Californian parish says. He pauses for a moment before he goes on, his voice choked by just indignation and sadness: This is God, people. God. Then he drops the bomb. Im writing to Pope Francis to do away with the practice of Communion in the hand altogether. I believe most of the abuses and blasphemies that the Eucharist has undergone is because of this practice.http://catholicinsight.com/blasphemy-abuse-communion-in-the-hand/
Bernard -- Unfortunately we can't be sure what really happened here. It could have occurred accidentally under the most innocent circumstances. We simply don't know.

It took a long time for me to get used to receiving the host in my hand, but I kept thinking historically how the Eucharist was administered in the early days. Beginning with the Last Supper, the Body of Christ was taken by hand. This actually was the accepted practice for about a thousand years.

The Eucharist can be received reverently either way, and it's up to the individual to decide how to receive the host (as allowed in the US). Our Good Lord knows our intentions when receive Communion. For those who prefer to receive the host on the tongue, their decision is to be respected, even though the number of people receiving it this way are in the minority. By the same token, receiving the Eucharist (in either form) is commendable, provided the recipient has met the requirements for validly receiving the sacrament.
May 27th 2013 new
A similar incident occurred in my diocese, except that the pastor unilaterally decided to eliminate Communion in the hand temporarily. The diocesan Office of Worship overruled him a week later.
May 27th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said:
Im heartbroken to announce that last week, we discovered a crushed consecrated Host beneath one of the kneelers, the pastor of a small yet devout Californian parish says. He pauses for a moment before he goes on, his voice choked by just indignation and sadness: This is God, people. God. Then he drops the bomb. Im writing to Pope Francis to do away with the practice of Communion in the hand altogether. I believe most of the abuses and blasphemies that the Eucharist has undergone is because of this practice.http://catholicinsight.com/blasphemy-abuse-communion-in-the-hand/
I, for one, believe he is absolutely right. Communion in the hand is an indult practice imported from the Netherlands, if you can believe that. Communion is rightly on the tongue.

What the pastor of that California parish discovered is, sadly, quite common, and we should all request the end of this indult that only Satan delights in.

en.gloria.tv

May 28th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: I, for one, believe he is absolutely right. Communion in the hand is an indult practice imported from the Netherlands, if you can believe that. Communion is rightly on the tongue.

What the pastor of that California parish discovered is, sadly, quite common, and we should all request the end of this indult that only Satan delights in.

http://en.gloria.tv/?media=418215

Oh my!

All those early Christians, the ones brought to the Church by the Apostles and their early sucerssors, have all gone to hell because they not only received in the hand they (gasp, gasp, gasp) actually broke a piece of the bread from the loaf.

May 28th 2013 new
I started receiving on my tongue again about 3 years ago. I think I'm the only one in my small parish who does. I also try to receive from the priest when I can, but I don't switch lines just to do that.
Jun 4th 2013 new
Your claim that the early Christians tore at "the one loaf" shows a gross misreading of history and theology.

Patristic literature shows evidence of the use of the tabernacle from at least the Second Century. Even before that, the understanding of the Eucharist proceeded from the Jewish understanding of the difference between a sacrificial meal and a common supper. This can be seen in the instructions for the Passover Sedar and the reception of the Peace offerings ( termed the "Todah" or Thank offering) in Leviticus.

The best explanations for this can be found in Scott Hahn "the Lamb's Supper", and the commentary for Leviticus in the Douay-Rheims bible website, taken directly from the Haydock study bible. It explains the various sacrifices and how they are integrated into the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass better than anywhere else.
Posts 1 - 10 of 52