Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I keep finding guys who list "physical attractivenss" in their profiles. Does this mean 'beauty'? If so, what happens when the beauty fades? I understood that finding a soul-mate was more than that. Your thoughts please....
Jun 5th 2013 new
To be honest they do matter to a certain extent. There is only an attraction when there is a physical attraction. Looks aren't everything but they still matter. What is in the heart matters more because it lasts forever.
Jun 5th 2013 new
To a certain extent they do matter but looks are subjective. What attracts someone to one person can put another person off.
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Tammy-781955 said: I keep finding guys who list "physical attractivenss" in their profiles. Does this mean 'beauty'? If so, what happens when the beauty fades? I understood that finding a soul-mate was more than that. Your thoughts please....
Hi Tammy!

I think it's kind of silly for guys to write this in their profile, because it's a given. Men are romantically visual. The first thing we ask is "is she good looking?" This doesn't mean that she looks like a model on the cover of Vogue. It just means that she looks more than good enough to him to have him come over and start talking. Writing it down just makes a man look shallow.

Also, it's actually the case that a woman's physical beauty will often grow on a man, such that she becomes more beautiful in his sight...
Jun 5th 2013 new
Hi Matt-

This does help...and yes I understand more clearly with a guy-insight. I appreciate your post!

Tammy
Jun 5th 2013 new
1. From my POV as a woman...not very important (provided he is clean and presentable). A kind heart trumps all else.

2. My reaction when I read a man's profile that says he wants someone attractive: "Oh, and are you so hot?" Generally, guys who write this don't impress me as being good-looking themselves.....
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Matt-61677 said: Hi Tammy!

I think it's kind of silly for guys to write this in their profile, because it's a given. Men are romantically visual. The first thing we ask is "is she good looking?" This doesn't mean that she looks like a model on the cover of Vogue. It just means that she looks more than good enough to him to have him come over and start talking. Writing it down just makes a man look shallow...
That I can tell, you just said "All men are in fact shallow, but it's tactless to admit it."
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Roy-964611 said: That I can tell, you just said "All men are in fact shallow, but it's tactless to admit it."
Roy, I said that the first thing men ask themselves is "is she good looking?" Please don't assume that means anything more than that. If a man is shallow he stops there. If he is deep he searches for much more.

As for including "looking for physically attractive" it in the profile, woman after woman finds it a turn off. Even if he is not shallow a woman will be inclined to perceive him as being so.
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Tammy-781955 said: Hi Matt-

This does help...and yes I understand more clearly with a guy-insight. I appreciate your post!

Tammy
Thanks Tammy! smile
Jun 5th 2013 new
Quite honestly, physical attractiveness is subjective. I find, for example, two different physiques completely attractive. I like the 1950's Liz Taylor or current Christina Hendricks, and also Jackie O., Audrey Hepburn, Mary Tyler Moore type physiques. Hair is very important to me as well, but of facial structure, I tend to prefer women who are deemed "handsome" or "attractive" versus beautiful, seductive, etc.

Maintaining fitness regardless of body type and maintaining appearance are very important to me in determining physical attractiveness, as well. I tend to like women who take a little time or expense for appearance, but not to an extreme. . . .

But I'm finding intellect and interests are probably pretty important. Faith and values, first, then intellect and interests, and then attractiveness. . .
Posts 1 - 10 of 77