Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Security and single person

Jun 5th 2013 new
As a single person living alone most likely do you ever worry over your security. I had a break in recently and am a bit worried myself. I have two male friends of mine for example also suffered breakins. :-( I'm not a dog person and don't have the time and security systems are expensive :-(
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: As a single person living alone most likely do you ever worry over your security. I had a break in recently and am a bit worried myself. I have two male friends of mine for example also suffered breakins. :-( I'm not a dog person and don't have the time and security systems are expensive :-(
Hi Ann!

What a great question! First, I am so sorry to hear about your break-in! I will pray for your safety, dear soul.

I used to live in NYC on the upper east side. I live alone in a great studio. I never worried about a break-in....I grew up in the City and had been traveling in and out of the boroughs on the trains at all times since I could read a map. But what I did worry about was having an accident. The apartment I lived in had a great marble bath. I would entertain my paranoia by imaging leaving the shower when suddenly my wet feet would slip out from under me and I would go crashing onto the marble edges and floor. The only witnesses to my ignoble death, the indifferent pigeons who perched outside my bathroom window.

To preclude my neighbors from having to investigate malodors, I briefly developed a habit of texting my Mom or sister before I took a shower. I stopped when my mother very helpfully said, "I'm not concerned you will have an accident, but I am concerned with the number of showers you feel you need to take."

Single living is not for the feint of heart.

In Christ,
Leyden
Jun 5th 2013 new
A dog is typically a cheaper solution but ONLY when about the size of Beagle or Above that dog Size. Beagles and Collies tend to have good temperaments... so do Mixed breeds have better temperaments.
Michael
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Ann!

What a great question! First, I am so sorry to hear about your break-in! I will pray for your safety, dear soul.

I used to live in NYC on the upper east side. I live alone in a great studio. I never worried about a break-in....I grew up in the City and had been traveling in and out of the boroughs on the trains at all times since I could read a map. But what I did worry about was having an accident. The apartment I lived in had a great marble bath. I would entertain my paranoia by imaging leaving the shower when suddenly my wet feet would slip out from under me and I would go crashing onto the marble edges and floor. The only witnesses to my ignoble death, the indifferent pigeons who perched outside my bathroom window.

To preclude my neighbors from having to investigate malodors, I briefly developed a habit of texting my Mom or sister before I took a shower. I stopped when my mother very helpfully said, "I'm not concerned you will have an accident, but I am concerned with the number of showers you feel you need to take."

In Christ,
Leyden
You should write mystery novels! I loved reading your post! wink
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Ann!

In Christ,
Leyden
Leyden, that's hysterical!!! laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing I can totally see my mama saying the same thing.

Yes, I do worry about my safety from time to time, espeically since I keep such odd and inconsistent hours. I carry my keys clenched and poking out of my fist and say a St. Michael prayer when walking out of work in downtown Norfolk, and do the same when I come home. If my roomate isn't home, I clear the house. Yep, you got it: turn on all the lights, look in the closets and bathtub and everything. Am I neurotic? no...just single and scared with an overactive imagination. I always leave a light on...and a different light each time when I know I will be out late. put a security sign in the window...may at least deter some folks.
Jun 5th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: As a single person living alone most likely do you ever worry over your security. I had a break in recently and am a bit worried myself. I have two male friends of mine for example also suffered breakins. :-( I'm not a dog person and don't have the time and security systems are expensive :-(
I was "normally" concerned about safety until I was about 22. Then something terrifying happened when I just moved in to a new house where I was renting a room. I was awakened by the sound of crashing glass, like a window, about 3am. I was alone in the house, new neighborhood, etc. Long story short, somehow a speaker had fallen off a high shelf and crashed onto a glass table. But that incident affected me severely, to where I could no longer stay in a house alone at night. I tried to control my fears, but it took many years until I was back to the "normal" concern over my safety.

I struggle with this issue philosophically. If everything is in God's Will--He permits things to happen for a reason--then despite all my carelessness or all my barricades, things will happen. What is it that the priest says during Mass--"keep us free from all unneeded anxiety"--something like that. It is our responsibility to take care of ourselves, including safety. And it is our responsibility to keep ourselves ready to meet Him whenever it is that He calls us, which means keeping our souls in order. So we take reasonable precautions as to home security, as to caution in travel. We find a roommate if that is necessary for our security. We say our Acts of Contrition and we go to Confession as often as we can. I think that if I had been in a more mature place spiritually, that breaking-glass incident back in my college years would not have devastated me as it did. But perhaps it happened for a reason. Maybe it was the kick in the pants I needed to recognize that I need God, and I should follow Him more than I was....

Just some ideas I'm throwing out there for your consideration.
Jun 5th 2013 new
Interesting reflections. I moved in right after the break in which occured while the house was still vacant. Luckily nothing was taken but my cats like to climb and when they jumbed a few times it sounded like some one was beating on the house but it was just the cat jumping from a high spot. I nearly had a heart attack. I was leaving lights on but then again that attracted a lot of gnats and caused an infestations so I can't do that unless I want a house full of gnats....to a bug phobic like me that's not a good thing. :-(. Someone loaned me their dog for a few nights....it didn't go well I'm not a dog person I guess. Security systems are just too costly for me at the moment will all the expenses of the new house.
Jun 5th 2013 new
Motion sensitive lights plus outdoor lighting are generally good and inexpensive deterrants
Jun 5th 2013 new
I've got motion sensing lights all around the exterior of my home. Another lighting preventative (and a cheap one at that) that you might look into is having a lamp on a timer to make it look like someone is home even when you're not. I always like coming home to a non-dark interior too. :)

The first thing I invested in after I moved here was an alarm system. The biggest cost is the up-front installation if you don't have one already, but a company will throw a certain amount of equipment in for free if they can lock you into a multi-year service agreement. The equipment cost is offset by the monitoring rate, so when I negotiated it it was variable, depending on what I wanted installed and what I wanted to pay for upfront. When the contracted time was up I went with a different alarm company who had a lower monitoring price since the equipment was then mine. Even when I was with the first company it was not very much month to month. Call around and see what kind of deals you can get.

I also have a small four-legged security system who worked just as well when I had an apartment as she does now that I have a house. The only problem is that she's a bit of an indiscriminate protectress. She barks at people near the house (like our poor mailman every day) and cars that stop outside my house. She recognizes the Fedex truck as a sign of "possible invader of our turf" even when it's across the street. She also works hard to protect me from squirrels, telephone ring tones that sound like doorbells (to her), and cabinet doors closed loudly (she thinks it's a knock on the front door). As the mat on my front porch says, "Ask not for whom the dog barks; it barks for thee." Even if thee is a squirrel. We are working on the "shush!" command. rolling eyes

And if all of those fail, well, I try to keep the ol' soul prepared to meet its maker at any hour.
Jun 5th 2013 new
you can also get those door and window alarms and install them yourself, I'm pretty sure Walmart even carries them. . .they make a horrible sound when the window or door is opened. The sound is often deterrent enough. I have dogs, a cat who is probably more ferocious lol, live across the street from a retired police officer and three blocks from the fire and police station. My brother also said there is type of door block that makes it almost impossible to kick in a door, I'll have to ask him again what the name of it is. He and my other brothers have been after me to get certified to carry a gun, but I don't feel the need for that. I might consider a stun gun though :-)).
Posts 1 - 10 of 26