Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jun 6th 2013 new
Do not let others destroy your inner peace. I greeted and smiled people only respecting as human being and nothing else, but I was misunderstood so many times. However, people come from different backgrounds and they do not know the proper definition of the pure smile and respect.......Remember that many people might go to church for many other reasons..... wave
Jun 6th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: some of the men seem to get the wrong idea! In fact, even Easter Vigil I was again winked at! It's very unsettling! 
Are these men you know? Or just parishioners you have never met before?
Has the same person winked at you more than once?

I suppose a wink could be an involuntary reaction to the circumstance of the situation and your expression. I think I was so caught up in the moment once that I had a very goofy smile on my face. There's no telling what the EMHC thought, but I was immediately embarrassed.

Is it possible for you to keep your eyes on the chalice and their hands?
Jun 7th 2013 new
I think it's proper to look each person in the eyes as I say, "The Body of Christ" or "The Blood of Christ" so that's what I do, as do all the others.

At least one of the men has winked more than once, with a big smile and facial expression that seems to have nothing to do with joy over receiving Jesus and everything with trying to get my attention in a flirty way.

I never met or spoke to these men outside these encounters.

I'm sure my 'loving' expression faltered for a couple seconds each time and my shock showed for a moment before the next person presented himself or herself and the love flowed again.

I'm seriously unhappy about seeing my name scheduled each month as I'm worried it will happen each time, especially at the Saturday night Vigils. hmm, I wonder if I just avoided those times? If only it were that simple.

And I really like going to the vigil alone or with my adult friends and again on Sunday morning with my children so I don't want to have give up going, but maybe only give up distributing Jesus then?

Thank you all for your ideas.
Jun 7th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I think it's proper to look each person in the eyes as I say, "The Body of Christ" or "The Blood of Christ" so that's what I do, as do all the others.

At least one of the men has winked more than once, with a big smile and facial expression that seems to have nothing to do with joy over receiving Jesus and everything with trying to get my attention in a flirty way.

I never met or spoke to these men outside these encounters.

I'm sure my 'loving' expression faltered for a couple seconds each time and my shock showed for a moment before the next person presented himself or herself and the love flowed again.

I'm seriously unhappy about seeing my name scheduled each month as I'm worried it will happen each time, especially at the Saturday night Vigils. hmm, I wonder if I just avoided those times? If only it were that simple.

And I really like going to the vigil alone or with my adult friends and again on Sunday morning with my children so I don't want to have give up going, but maybe only give up distributing Jesus then?

Thank you all for your ideas.
I don't know how this will come across in writing, but maybe if you re-think your mind set while you are distriibuting communion to something more serious and awe struck and reverent? It is just a thought. I would think that your smile is attractive in more ways than one, perhaps? RIGHT? and these men just can't avoid the feeling it gives them... crazy Maybe if you decide to not smile? And think of Jesus on the cross. I am not trying to be critical but trying to help... sorry
Jun 7th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-24315 said: Don/t blame your self too much, a smile is always good, but those receiving communion should be focused on what they are receiving and not the one giving them communion.
This is true. The persons who are receiving communion should be focused on the fact that they are receiving Jesus. This internal awareness should be where they are focused. I would make an effort to give a smaller smile so as not to intrude on their awareness. Again- just trying to be helpful... Easier said than done...
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I recently became an Extraordinary Minister of the Holy Eucharist as we have great need in our parish and not enough willing. So -- I always dress modestly in my best dresses, usually longer than just to the knee, especially when I am to be EMHE. But the problem is, as I'm up there giving Jesus to everyone, I feel like God's Love for them is pouring through me and I feel so tender and loving to each soul as they come forward and I know I get an 'in love' sort of look on my face too. And -- some of the men seem to get the wrong idea! and take it personally, like I'm, you know, personally interested in them. In fact, even Easter Vigil I was again winked at! It's very unsettling! I can't seem to control these feelings of intense love or the expression on my face. I have a good friend who also has this happen to her. All I can figure is that I have to no longer serve in this way! Any other ideas??
These guys should have the decency to wink at you after Mass! wink
Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I recently became an Extraordinary Minister of the Holy Eucharist as we have great need in our parish and not enough willing. So -- I always dress modestly in my best dresses, usually longer than just to the knee, especially when I am to be EMHE. But the problem is, as I'm up there giving Jesus to everyone, I feel like God's Love for them is pouring through me and I feel so tender and loving to each soul as they come forward and I know I get an 'in love' sort of look on my face too. And -- some of the men seem to get the wrong idea! and take it personally, like I'm, you know, personally interested in them. In fact, even Easter Vigil I was again winked at! It's very unsettling! I can't seem to control these feelings of intense love or the expression on my face. I have a good friend who also has this happen to her. All I can figure is that I have to no longer serve in this way! Any other ideas??

If that man winks at you again, maybe after mass you can kindly tell him how unsettled you felt. Maybe he doesn't understand that this behavior is inappropriate. People should only be focusing and preparing to receive the body of Christ at that time. It might be embarrassing for him, but you'll be doing him a favor.

In any case, try not to let this deter you from serving at mass. It sounds like you are receiving many blessings because of it.

Jun 13th 2013 new
I am impressed and informed by the very thoughtful comments from members above. I would only emphasize the following:

1. As noted before, focus on the chalice. You are offering Jesus in real flesh and real blood, and His love for the recipient. Your opportunity to share your personal joy in presenting the precious body and blood comes later, like at coffee and donuts in the social hall.

2. This is a solemn event. I always maintain a respectful, solemn (not sour) presence to our parishioners.

3. I can't help adding, winking at a Eurcharistic Minister is appalling behavior. The recipient obviously does not understand what is really happening - Jesus is offering his own humanity to us in sacramental form as a free gift for our very salvation.

Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless your ministry.
Posts 11 - 18 of 18