Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jun 4th 2013 new
(quote) Ron-26907 said:

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2013/sex-denied?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fee...

I did not like this artice at all. I really don't understand what he is talking about when he says the church ignores teaching against pre-marital sex and contraception. I think the vast majority of people know the church condemns these acts and ignores them. When the Obama administration tried to force catholic employers to cover contraception, the church spoke forcefully against this. I don't understand how this man is getting the idea that gays are being singled out.

The reality is pre- martial sex and contraception are completely legal and will remain that way. Gay marriage is still being worked out in the courts and legislatures - so that is why it gets so much attention. If people weren't going around trying to redefine marriage, the church wouldn't have to focus so much attention on the issue.

When he writes, "There truly is no reason to single out gays because those who label themselves gay are no different from those who consider themselves straight." That is completely false. Those with a homosexual identity are in a constant state of a desire for the unnatural. Whereas heterosexuals who can properly control their sexuality for its proper place in marriage are a in a normal mental state.

I was probably most offended when he writes "They can be forgiven for seeing us as bigots, because many of us, seeing gay people as different, erected stop signs for them where we placed none in our own path."

Activists who call people bigots for defending marriage is an incredibly demeaning, abusive act of hate. It should not be given a pass and we should respond in equal force.

Although I understand the point this author is trying to make, I think he is way of base and I really did NOT like this article!!!!!

Jun 4th 2013 new
www.youtube.com
Jun 8th 2013 new
(quote) Dan-28682 said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auv6c0-FsjU
Thanks for sharing this. I have said "No" to contraception because I grew up in a large family. In my country, the Philippines, usually, large families are poor and barely make both ends meet, as they say. Even with my own family, when both of our parents have good jobs (my dad is a retired police officer and mom was a public school teacher), they had to work harder even on weekends by operating small businesses and managing our small farm to cover all the expenses. I remember how my mom and dad had to sacrifice their own happiness or dreams (a car or a travel) so they can provide for us all. Also, the older children had to help the parents. In some ways, this was helpful as it brings the family closer, however in some, it promotes dependence. This is true to most families in my country.

And worse, to those families with parents who have no permanent jobs or have jobs but barely able to support even themselves. Hence, the children had to stop school, work as a maid or sell something on the streets or beg. It really is a big problem. And the government doesn't do much something about it. And they see the Catholic church, when the government passed the Reproductive Health Bill, as someone who intervenes too much in state affairs. I myself, silently supported the RH Bill, as I know most of my friends, colleagues and others who have lived and seen difficulties because of our large families.

Such in the case of a sister in law who is a nurse, she is considering contraception because she is pregnant of her second child. Our family supports it because of the problems we experienced. We just don't want our or their children to suffer. We want a better future for them. If a brother or a sister tells us she is pregrant of her 2nd or 3rd child, we all react like, oh no, it's wonderful to have another in our family, but are you sure you can raise them well? Maybe you should consider family planning. It's just the automatic reaction.

I've also seen untapped talents and skills because the parents didn't have the resources to support the child's/children's education. I know some friends or my siblings friends who could have been the next scientist or writer or lawyer, if only they have had a good education and if they raised in a better environment.

But watching the video, I would not disagree to the message. While I still have questions, I seem to agree that contraception in the long run is dangerous. I do know that some countries are promoting more child policy because of the decline in the younger population and the increase in older ones.

So how do we address these things? If we promote contraception, it can lead to problems mentioned in the video. But if parents don't use contraception, they will end up having more children they can't afford to support.

After watching this video, I am close to responding "Yes" to the Church Teachings on Contraception. But part of me still holds me back because I've seen also the evils for hte lack thereof.
Jun 8th 2013 new
Thanks for sharing this. I have said "No" to contraception because I grew up in a large family. In my country, the Philippines, usually, large families are poor and barely make both ends meet, as they say. Even with my own family, when both of our parents have good jobs (my dad is a retired police officer and mom was a public school teacher), they had to work harder even on weekends by operating small businesses and managing our small farm to cover all the expenses. I remember how my mom and dad had to sacrifice their own happiness or dreams (a car or a travel) so they can provide for us all. Also, the older children had to help the parents. In some ways, this was helpful as it brings the family closer, however in some, it promotes dependence. This is true to most families in my country.

And worse, to those families with parents who have no permanent jobs or have jobs but barely able to support even themselves. Hence, the children had to stop school, work as a maid or sell something on the streets or beg. It really is a big problem. And the government doesn't do much something about it. And they see the Catholic church, when the government passed the Reproductive Health Bill, as someone who intervenes too much in state affairs. I myself, silently supported the RH Bill, as I know most of my friends, colleagues and others who have lived and seen difficulties because of our large families.

Such in the case of a sister in law who is a nurse, she is considering contraception because she is pregnant of her second child. Our family supports it because of the problems we experienced. We just don't want our or their children to suffer. We want a better future for them. If a brother or a sister tells us she is pregrant of her 2nd or 3rd child, we all react like, oh no, it's wonderful to have another in our family, but are you sure you can raise them well? Maybe you should consider family planning. It's just the automatic reaction.

I've also seen untapped talents and skills because the parents didn't have the resources to support the child's/children's education. I know some friends or my siblings friends who could have been the next scientist or writer or lawyer, if only they have had a good education and if they raised in a better environment.

But watching the video, I would not disagree to the message. While I still have questions, I seem to agree that contraception in the long run is dangerous. I do know that some countries are promoting more child policy because of the decline in the younger population and the increase in older ones.

So how do we address these things? If we promote contraception, it can lead to problems mentioned in the video. But if parents don't use contraception, they will end up having more children they can't afford to support.

After watching this video, I am close to responding "Yes" to the Church Teachings on Contraception. But part of me still holds me back because I've seen also the evils for hte lack thereof.
Jun 8th 2013 new
Sorry, it saved twice and I don't know how to remove the second post.
Jun 8th 2013 new
A famous feminist, years ago, said The Pill makes a woman a sex object. Is she correct?
Jun 8th 2013 new
yes :(
Jun 8th 2013 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: A famous feminist, years ago, said The Pill makes a woman a sex object. Is she correct?
It depends! I believe my married siblings and friends who uses contraception to prevent pregnancy don't see themselves as sex objects. Their reason for using contraception was stated in my previous post.

But yeah, outside marriage, it MAY be seen as such. But it still depends on how the couples treat each other. If the relationship went wrong because of other reasons, and not because of promiscuity or infedility of one or both, it doesnt mean the woman was used as a sex object!
Jun 8th 2013 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: A famous feminist, years ago, said The Pill makes a woman a sex object. Is she correct?
Yes, the Pill makes a woman feel 'used'. If a feminist is a feminist in the real sense, she will understand that a full consent and willing decision should come from both parties to make the marital act a truly loving act. In the case of a couple where the Pill is used, it is implied that the man DOES NOT HAVE/NEED to control himself because anyway, the wife is 'safe', whether she's up to it or not. The woman, on the other hand, is somehow left to follow the 'whims' of her husband because she really has no practical reasons to postpone the marital act. In this scenario, more often than not, the woman is stripped of her privilege to be able to communicate to her husband her disposition at that moment. To top it all, the woman has to bear the consequences of wreaking havoc on her natural hormonal cycle (depression, cancer and other minor and major health complications).

God bless us all and may we help men and women go past the economic reasons that erroneously justify contraception and to see through the evil consequences that this is wreaking on our dignity as sexual persons created in the image and likeness of God, and on the sanctity and wholeness of marriage and the family. As it has often been said, the family is the domestic Church and the basic unit of society. My two-cents worth...

Have a great weekend everyone! biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 12