Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

HONORING OUR FATHERS....

Jun 10th 2013 new
As we approach Father's Day I thought I would honor my Father as you are welcome to honor your own. (men and ladies...please share if you want)
Before telling about my own Dad, I want to wish ALL of you CM Dads.....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
One thing I have ALWAYS remembered about my Dad.....was he put himself absolutely last in everything. When it came to providing for the family he would always put my Mom and the kids first. Even when he knew he needed new clothing or shoes....it was (in many cases) my Mom who would remind him. I even remember he couldn't quit a job until later in life...even when some jobs became unbearable...because he was "check to check" My Dad was one "complete" gentleman~
Your turn.......

Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: As we approach Father's Day I thought I would honor my Father as you are welcome to honor your own. (men and ladies...please share if you want)
Before telling about my own Dad, I want to wish ALL of you CM Dads.....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
One thing I have ALWAYS remembered about my Dad.....was he put himself absolutely last in everything. When it came to providing for the family he would always put my Mom and the kids first. Even when he knew he needed new clothing or shoes....it was (in many cases) my Mom who would remind him. I even remember he couldn't quit a job until later in life...even when some jobs became unbearable...because he was "check to check" My Dad was one "complete" gentleman~
Your turn.......

Jerry, you create some very positive-thinking threads!

My father did not have a lot going for him in the daddy business. He turned 59 two days after I was born, so in many ways, he was like a grandfather than a dad, and an emotionally distant one at that. His own father died when Dad was just an infant, so he never learned how to be a dad. He had Alzheimer's the last 8 years of his life. I was very fortunate to spend some time with him before he died, which was at age 90. And several months after that, I was still grieving, both his death and the loss of ever having had a dad, and feeling sorry for him that his life was not what he had hoped it to be when he was a young man..... and suddenly I felt, well, sort of a presence above and to the side of me. And while I did not see anything specifically with my eyes, I had a sense of my father being there. He was smiling at me, and it felt as though we shared a secret between us. Since that time I have felt peace and a warmth where my dad was concerned. God bless him!
Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Jerry, you create some very positive-thinking threads!

My father did not have a lot going for him in the daddy business. He turned 59 two days after I was born, so in many ways, he was like a grandfather than a dad, and an emotionally distant one at that. His own father died when Dad was just an infant, so he never learned how to be a dad. He had Alzheimer's the last 8 years of his life. I was very fortunate to spend some time with him before he died, which was at age 90. And several months after that, I was still grieving, both his death and the loss of ever having had a dad, and feeling sorry for him that his life was not what he had hoped it to be when he was a young man..... and suddenly I felt, well, sort of a presence above and to the side of me. And while I did not see anything specifically with my eyes, I had a sense of my father being there. He was smiling at me, and it felt as though we shared a secret between us. Since that time I have felt peace and a warmth where my dad was concerned. God bless him!
Thank you Lina. Your post is very touching. I'm sure he WAS with you when you felt that! God bless YOU and your DAD~

My Dad had so much going on....I wasn't always close to him. (which was my fault for not seeing what it was like to raise 7) But later in life.....and near the end....he was the greatest.
In fact, the last 15 months were the best I ever had with him. The "respect" factor was still there and....for that matter, still is. But Dad became my best friend those last 15 months. And although he was bearing the grief from the loss of my Mom.....he still was tons of fun....and we enjoyed every moment we had together. He was....and STILL IS my hero~
Jun 10th 2013 new
Thanks for starting this post Jerry.

My dad was a wonderful man, not a perfect man, but a wonderful man. He left his earthly life almost 15 years ago and he is still caring for me. He had Alzheimer's the last 7 years of his life. I didn't have the opportunity to have that mature adult relationship with him like so many of my friends have with their parents. I have accepted this as part of our relationship and journey together. He taught me so many lessons that I continue to learn today. Remember, the lesson may be given but if the learner isn't ready the learning doesn't happen. My dad lived through much adversity, difficult times, and so much abuse. My dad loved (the verb) our Lord, our Blessed Mother, our Catholic Faith, his family, friends, community and country. He left an impression on everyone who met him. Love was not a feeling or an emotion, love was something that he chose to do. Thanks Dad, and Happy Father's Day to you. xo

Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Suzanne-930338 said: Thanks for starting this post Jerry.

My dad was a wonderful man, not a perfect man, but a wonderful man. He left his earthly life almost 15 years ago and he is still caring for me. He had Alzheimer's the last 7 years of his life. I didn't have the opportunity to have that mature adult relationship with him like so many of my friends have with their parents. I have accepted this as part of our relationship and journey together. He taught me so many lessons that I continue to learn today. Remember, the lesson may be given but if the learner isn't ready the learning doesn't happen. My dad lived through much adversity, difficult times, and so much abuse. My dad loved (the verb) our Lord, our Blessed Mother, our Catholic Faith, his family, friends, community and country. He left an impression on everyone who met him. Love was not a feeling or an emotion, love was something that he chose to do. Thanks Dad, and Happy Father's Day to you. xo

My word! What an awesome father you had!
Jun 10th 2013 new
My Dad...among other things was a member of the Holy Name Society, Knights of Columbus and parish Men's Clubs for years. I remember when he would volunteer his time for "Nocturnal Adoration" on First Fridays he would ask for a time..(such as 3:00 in the morning) which would be a supreme sacrifice to make.
He also joined my Mom in prayer for a loan to go through for a lot across the street from their Church. Their promise was that if they could get the loan...and build...they would go to the 6:30 Mass every morning. They got their answer....and faithfully went for years until the 6:30 a.m. Mass was dropped and the Church just kept the 8:00. And though for years had made the sacrifice....(and I'm sure quite difficult) were heartbroken when this occurred. Because he couldn't go to the 8:00 since he obviously had to work.
Jun 10th 2013 new
Thanks Jerry for starting this. And Lina for sharing your beautiful spiritual experience re: your dad. I can't share much right now. .....my dad died Easter Sunday and so this is the first father day without. I have so many feelings that I'm just getting to work thru. Look forward to others posts. Been off here for awhile....good to get back on!! God bless all the dads (and CM's!)
Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-940526 said: Thanks Jerry for starting this. And Lina for sharing your beautiful spiritual experience re: your dad. I can't share much right now. .....my dad died Easter Sunday and so this is the first father day without. I have so many feelings that I'm just getting to work thru. Look forward to others posts. Been off here for awhile....good to get back on!! God bless all the dads (and CM's!)
Thank you Susan....and glad you are back! I am very sorry about your dad....and know first hand what you are experiencing. I will say this. The first few anniversaries, holidays, birthdays etc are the toughest.
But I still say Happy Father's Day to your dad....and will pray for you to have closure~
Jun 10th 2013 new
Prayers for you Susan, it does get easier, and the pain is not so acute. For what it's worth, I still think of my dad every day. I know that he intercedes for me, my brother, our children and my grand daughter every day.
Jun 10th 2013 new
I can recall looking over at my Dad while traveling to one of his myriad doctors appointments, after my Mom died. I said, kiddingly: "You know Dad...for the first time in over 6 decades you are single" (this was a couple months afterward, and he was still wearing his wedding band) He said, "Yup...that is true. But I'm not taking this off" And he never did. I am so proud to have his band. And think often of him being such a devoted husband and Father~
Posts 1 - 10 of 77