Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found or unavailable

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 11th 2013 new
Jerry, I appreciate you bringing to the forefront, the topic of Fathers Day. It may not have the overall popularity of Mothers Day but as just one dad, I appreciate those willing to extend their best wishes.

My dad was a product of the depression and a veteran of World War II. He was as Tom Brokaw mentioned in his book, one of the greatest generation. Being full-blooded German, he was tough, had little tolerance for foolishness and the buck definitely stopped with him. He did occasionally have another side which was kind and caring.

Being born and raised on a farm, he never got past the 8th grade in formal education but taught himself enough to know what was important in life and not get taken while during business. While growing up, I remember him negotiating on a washer with a Jewish man who owned an appliance store. Although it took a couple of hours, my dad got it for the price he intended. He was mechanically minded and repaired just about everything himself.

As I look back on my life, a few important things stand out about my dad. He was religious and would not allow any of us to miss Mass unless seriously ill. We had to live with his definition of seriously ill. He sent all three children through Catholic school grades 1 12 which was a great personal financial sacrifice. In 1957, when I was ten, I received a Sears J. C. Higgins bicycle for Christmas. I was the envy of the neighborhood. It had chrome fenders, white-walled tires, a horn, light and other accessories. The cost at that time was $66.00 which was a lot of money for the times. I cant recall how many miles I travelled on that bike through the years. Foolishly, when I was 18 or 19, I sold that bike to another person. Wish I still had it.

He passed away in December, 2002, lived to be 90, defied doctors orders, smoked for 35 years, eat anything he wanted which was usually fried and is the 2nd oldest documented person to have lived on his side of the family. Everyone on his side of the family that can be traced to his great-grandparents each died of some type of cancer except him.

Although he had some life-threatening illnesses during his last year of life, he continued to fight to live. I recall him telling me a couple of times, no matter what illness or hurts you have, if you dont feel you can get better in your mind, then you wont. I have remembered that to this day.

Each time I go to the cemetery, I thank both of my parents for all they did for me personally. Sunday will be no different.

I hope everyone who will be celebrating the day will have a great time and if not, pray and reflect on what you dad meant in your life.

Thanks to all for sharing your stories and thank you again Jerry for initiating this thread.

Blessings to my brother in Christ to the south,

Praying Praying Praying

Leon
Jun 11th 2013 new
This will be my first Father's Day without my dad. He died 6 March. My dad infused in me an unshakable faith, a heart for those that are less fortunate, a love for reading, crossword puzzles, hard work and reliability, and a love for being outside. We had some really hard times, but we became close the past ten years. I will miss dad's presence in my life.

I will also miss my children's father. Do you know that he proposed to me by telling me that he loved the mother I was to my three children and that he wanted to be their father and the father to any children we might have together. We had two together and all five were his children. He never once called any of the step-anythings and they only knew him as dad because he was their only dad. 23 years was long enough to raise five children together and to be thankful that every one of my children has a pillar of what a good father and husband should be.

Father's Day is a day that I honor two men gone far too soon. Fly with the angels...
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: Thank you for your wonderful post Steven! I can echo your sentiments. I too miss "Pop" every single day. However, I am happy for him now because he suffered much near the end~
Jerry, Thank you for this post It is a great way to pay tribute to our dads. I am also happy for him because towards the end of his life he was in so much pain. And just knowing that ended made it a little easier to take when he passed.
Jun 11th 2013 new
Jerry, I found some wonderful sayings on fathers (my opinion) which I want to share:

Theodore M. Hesburgh

The most important thing that a father can do for his children is to love their mother.

Clarence B. Kelland

My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

Mario Cuomo
I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example.

Imelda Marcos

I have never been a material girl. My father always told me never to love anything that cannot love you back.

Pope John XXIII

It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father.

Harmon Killebrew Hall of Fame former major league baseball player for the old Washington Senators and Minnesota Twins

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys."

Anonymous

Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys.

Bill Cosby

If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Linda-756196 said: This will be my first Father's Day without my dad. He died 6 March. My dad infused in me an unshakable faith, a heart for those that are less fortunate, a love for reading, crossword puzzles, hard work and reliability, and a love for being outside. We had some really hard times, but we became close the past ten years. I will miss dad's presence in my life.

I will also miss my children's father. Do you know that he proposed to me by telling me that he loved the mother I was to my three children and that he wanted to be their father and the father to any children we might have together. We had two together and all five were his children. He never once called any of the step-anythings and they only knew him as dad because he was their only dad. 23 years was long enough to raise five children together and to be thankful that every one of my children has a pillar of what a good father and husband should be.

Father's Day is a day that I honor two men gone far too soon. Fly with the angels...
Linda,

Excellent post.

Blessings always, Praying hug rose

Leon
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I was very lucky to have two great parents. My mom passed on but my dad has always been there to give me the best help or advice he can. He can be a bit stubborn at times but he's a rock I've always been able to rely on.
Thank you Ann for sharing. And yes mine could be stubborn too. He was a rock though...just like the Chevy commercial~
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, I appreciate you bringing to the forefront, the topic of Fathers Day. It may not have the overall popularity of Mothers Day but as just one dad, I appreciate those willing to extend their best wishes.

My dad was a product of the depression and a veteran of World War II. He was as Tom Brokaw mentioned in his book, one of the greatest generation. Being full-blooded German, he was tough, had little tolerance for foolishness and the buck definitely stopped with him. He did occasionally have another side which was kind and caring.

Being born and raised on a farm, he never got past the 8th grade in formal education but taught himself enough to know what was important in life and not get taken while during business. While growing up, I remember him negotiating on a washer with a Jewish man who owned an appliance store. Although it took a couple of hours, my dad got it for the price he intended. He was mechanically minded and repaired just about everything himself.

As I look back on my life, a few important things stand out about my dad. He was religious and would not allow any of us to miss Mass unless seriously ill. We had to live with his definition of seriously ill. He sent all three children through Catholic school grades 1 12 which was a great personal financial sacrifice. In 1957, when I was ten, I received a Sears J. C. Higgins bicycle for Christmas. I was the envy of the neighborhood. It had chrome fenders, white-walled tires, a horn, light and other accessories. The cost at that time was $66.00 which was a lot of money for the times. I cant recall how many miles I travelled on that bike through the years. Foolishly, when I was 18 or 19, I sold that bike to another person. Wish I still had it.

He passed away in December, 2002, lived to be 90, defied doctors orders, smoked for 35 years, eat anything he wanted which was usually fried and is the 2nd oldest documented person to have lived on his side of the family. Everyone on his side of the family that can be traced to his great-grandparents each died of some type of cancer except him.

Although he had some life-threatening illnesses during his last year of life, he continued to fight to live. I recall him telling me a couple of times, no matter what illness or hurts you have, if you dont feel you can get better in your mind, then you wont. I have remembered that to this day.

Each time I go to the cemetery, I thank both of my parents for all they did for me personally. Sunday will be no different.

I hope everyone who will be celebrating the day will have a great time and if not, pray and reflect on what you dad meant in your life.

Thanks to all for sharing your stories and thank you again Jerry for initiating this thread.

Blessings to my brother in Christ to the south,

Leon
Dear Fellow Texan, What a wonderful post...as usual. I think your father was special and so are YOU. You ARE a "chip off the old block" (I can tell) Anyone from the "greatest generation (your dad and mine) were people you wanted to listen to... because they came up through tough times! Inspite of your dad's 8th grade education....people like him are/were very smart. I know you look up to him with respect.....as he is looking down on you with pride. Again we all learn from others....and in the two years I've been on here I've come to respect you as a father and a man. Thank you for teaching me....about what a real gentleman is! God Bless, and.....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Linda-756196 said: This will be my first Father's Day without my dad. He died 6 March. My dad infused in me an unshakable faith, a heart for those that are less fortunate, a love for reading, crossword puzzles, hard work and reliability, and a love for being outside. We had some really hard times, but we became close the past ten years. I will miss dad's presence in my life.

Linda, thank you so much for this profound post. I am truly sorry for your losses. But people like your husband and dad will ALWAYS be remembered. Not just by you and yours. But ANYONE whose life/lives they touched! Thanks again~
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, I found some wonderful sayings on fathers (my opinion) which I want to share:

Theodore M. Hesburgh

The most important thing that a father can do for his children is to love their mother.

Clarence B. Kelland

My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

Mario Cuomo
I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example.

Imelda Marcos

I have never been a material girl. My father always told me never to love anything that cannot love you back.

Pope John XXIII

It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father.

Harmon Killebrew Hall of Fame former major league baseball player for the old Washington Senators and Minnesota Twins

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys."

Anonymous

Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys.

Bill Cosby

If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right.

Blessings,

Leon
Leon thanks again for sharing! Quotes all of us can relate to....or, learn from~
Jun 11th 2013 new
Hi Jerry,
Thank you, this is a great post. I am so blessed to still have my father. He is awesome and cute! So many of the stories here are about great Catholic dads making sure they went to Mass and loving their mother.

I did not have that. My father was not a good husband after 5 of the 10 years of marriage to my mother and he didn't pay child support. But he is still my hero. He had the humility to beg his way (believe me , he didn't have to beg, I dropped everything and called him back). He has tried to make up for all the lost years in the last 6 and for that I am grateful. Before he was back in my life there was not a night when I was on my knees praying to God that he would come to his senses and find the daughter that adored him BECAUSE he was my father.

I tried for years to find him. But with him and my stepmom living in Tijuana , MX. it was not easy. I finally gave up. then out of the blue one morning , I got THE CALL. Since then, we have been closer than close. he loves me, Tells me so everytime we talk, tells me I'm beautiful when I know I look like a seahag. Tells me he's so proud of me for getting my degree and that even if I worked at 7-11 he'd be as proud as if I were a doctor. When I cry on the phone he cries with me and my dad is not a crier. When I go see him, the whole house is fixed for me; my kind of food in the fridge, special fan in my room, money under my pillow and always looks at me with such pride.

My dad is 78 years old, He's a Mason :(, I pray everynite for his conversion but I also know that there will not only be Catholics in heaven. :) but does believe in the gospel and The Trinity and talks about Jesus. But he is the love of my life. We talk 3X a week and whenever I call and say "Hi Dad" he bursts out laughing with a big joyous laugh and says "Hi Leslie" (long story...:) :) Whenever we talk, half of it is spent laughing. No one loves to laugh more than my dad. I thank my Sweet Jesus and Father in heaven that I have my dad back. Jesus loves his daughter so much that he didn't want her to be without her earthly father any longer. I am so spoiled. My Abba in Heaven spoils me rotten and Oh I am so grateful. That father-daughter bond is so important! Of all the 6 billion fathers, Jesus gave me the one that was perfect for me!
Posts 21 - 30 of 77