Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

What's in a name?

Jun 12 new
Has anyone else noticed that there are MANY repeat names on CM? Particularly among the men..

Have you ever stayed away from someone because of their name? Why?

I used to know a very weird Daniel who really turned me off of that name. That's not to say I would look the other way if a Daniel was approaching, but I would not name my child Daniel. My friendliest brother's name is Michael so all Michaels have a one free pass with me. wink

Do you know a lot of Mary's or Veronica's? John's or Michael's? How about Felicity's or Deklan's? scratchchin
Jun 12 new
(quote) Felicity-929402 said: Has anyone else noticed that there are MANY repeat names on CM? Particularly among the men..

Have you ever stayed away from someone because of their name? Why?

I used to know a very weird Daniel who really turned me off of that name. That's not to say I would look the other way if a Daniel was approaching, but I would not name my child Daniel. My friendliest brother's name is Michael so all Michaels have a one free pass with me.

Do you know a lot of Mary's or Veronica's? John's or Michael's? How about Felicity's or Deklan's?
I named my youngest son Daniel & he's a real sweetie.
I tried to teach him about the biblical Daniel's courage & steadfastness in the face of adversity.
Please don't discount all Daniels just because of one weird one!
And the guy I'm seeing --his name is a variation of Daniel.
Jun 12 new
laughing laughing I have to say.. I LIKE this Thread. I can't wait to read the responses. I think subconsciously i do maybe tend to be more open to a Girl who has the same name as someone i had a good past experience with. biggrin Praying
Jun 12 new
Well, there's a LOT in a name!!!

I do tend to avoid folks with certain names...can't tell you why, but it is not hard for them to initiate contact and win me over. I have a little problem with:
Denis, Doug, Paul, and Harry...mostly because I knew really mean kids with those names growing up.

There do seem to be a ton of Matthews and Mikes and Johns don't there? If I see an interesting name (regardless of the profile pic) I'll probably look because it does spark my interest!
Jun 12 new
There are Michael's everywhere!!! I don't have a problem with that name but that was my ex's name and I think it would be weird to be married to one again. scratchchin wink I did avoid naming my son Noah because of the little boy who lived across the street, he was a monster eyepopping laughing laughing laughing
Jun 12 new
Felicity, I am not "feeling the love" from the name Richard. I always called him (my ex) by his formal name because that was the first encounter I had with him. Names were placed at the foot of the bed at the hospital where I worked in 1980 so that was in my head. Even during the dating years, I called him Richard and he will forever be Richard, not Dick, Rick, Ricky or Dickey. I have, however called him non related names. Lol.

Eileen
Jun 12 new
I do think it would be weird to enter a relationship with someone who had the same first name as the ex. Even though I always called my former spouse "Honey", just the thought of being with someone with his first name is off-putting.
Jun 12 new
(quote) Carol-737878 said: I do think it would be weird to enter a relationship with someone who had the same first name as the ex. Even though I always called my former spouse "Honey", just the thought of being with someone with his first name is off-putting.
Agreed Carol, and how about a husband/wife with your parent's or sibling's name?

That could be weird... one of my cousins married a Catherine when his mom was named Catherine, so everybody now has the same last name, we're all confused!
Jun 12 new
(quote) Dana-782979 said: There are Michael's everywhere!!! I don't have a problem with that name but that was my ex's name and I think it would be weird to be married to one again. I did avoid naming my son Noah because of the little boy who lived across the street, he was a monster
Hahah Dana.. that's how I feel to the name 'Joseph'. I love St. Joseph! But almost every Joseph I've ever know was very mouthy, frequently bossy, often hyper too.
Jun 13 new
Yeah. Honestly, I have hesitated with people who have names that I associate with people I've had bad experiences with. Joe, Tom, Andy... not my favorites. But I'd have no problem with Joey (especially if he's like Joey Votto faint), Thomas, or Andrew. Funny how a little tweak can change my whole perception.

I have to admit I kinda relish being one of the few "Dawn"s on CM. Sunrise
Posts 1 - 10 of 60