Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Carol-737878 said: I do think it would be weird to enter a relationship with someone who had the same first name as the ex. Even though I always called my former spouse "Honey", just the thought of being with someone with his first name is off-putting.
I agree, Carol. I don't think I could, either.
Good thing for me that few men are named *%$#@!*%^bub.
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Eileen-890971 said:  I called him Richard and he will forever be Richard, not Dick, Rick, Ricky or Dickey. I have, however called him non related names. Lol.

laughing laughing laughing TOO funny, Eileen! I'd guess a few of us occasionally got 'creative' with what we called our exes. Or at least what we THOUGHT about calling them at times. shhh laughing

I am not fond of the name Rosemary (my apologies to any Rosemarys out there - nothing personal against you.) A high school classmate by that name ran a red light and totaled my car, then sat there on the grass, crying and whining about how HER Dad was going to kill her - while I was pulling my injured pals from the wreckage and bleeding all over the place. Now I think of 'whiner' when I hear it- and I'm sorry to admit but I just don't have much patience with whiners. Guess I need to keep praying for help with that.

I've always liked my name, but how can anyone on a Catholic site NOT like "Mary?" eyebrow wink

Cute thread!

Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: I think subconsciously i do maybe tend to be more open to a Girl who has the same name as someone i had a good past experience with.
I think I would favor a Brad or Simon for that reason. heart

The only name I'm not thrilled with is Steve because that's my brother's name. Although, if I did get a male goat I'd definitely name him Steve. Don't ask why, because I don't know. laughing
Jun 13th 2013 new
I don't think it's just exes. My late-husbands name was Paul. A couple of times I've looked at a profile and then noticed Paul was his name. I moved on, not because I wasn't interested but because his name was the same..

As for the name being the same as a parent's, I've had a little experience with that. I dated a guy that went by the formal version of my dad's name. It wasn't a problem for me. It might have been though if he had gone by the same nickname though tongue!
Jun 13th 2013 new
That is too finny, Lina. Love it!
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: TOO funny, Eileen! I'd guess a few of us occasionally got 'creative' with what we called our exes. Or at least what we THOUGHT about calling them at times.

I am not fond of the name Rosemary (my apologies to any Rosemarys out there - nothing personal against you.) A high school classmate by that name ran a red light and totaled my car, then sat there on the grass, crying and whining about how HER Dad was going to kill her - while I was pulling my injured pals from the wreckage and bleeding all over the place. Now I think of 'whiner' when I hear it- and I'm sorry to admit but I just don't have much patience with whiners. Guess I need to keep praying for help with that.

I've always liked my name, but how can anyone on a Catholic site NOT like "Mary?"

Cute thread!

I don't have such an extreme example, but interestingly I knew a very whiny Rosemary at one point, so I share that opinion. (I don't have much patience with whiners either!)
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Monica-742707 said: I don't think it's just exes. My late-husbands name was Paul. A couple of times I've looked at a profile and then noticed Paul was his name. I moved on, not because I wasn't interested but because his name was the same..
Maybe you could have convinced him to go by his middle name? wink

** why do people never use their middle names?? **
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Felicity-929402 said: why do people never use their middle names??
Maybe because when we hear our middle names, we usually figure we're in BIG TROUBLE!!!

That said, there are a few common names that would initially bring up memories of someone from my past, but in most cases, I wouldn't let that stop me. I have dated a couple of ladies named Sarah, which is also my little sister's name, and that has never been a problem, though it can cause confusion. The one common name I know I would have trouble dealing with would be Nancy. My problem with that name doesn't stem from a past romantic relationship, rather it is because that is the name of a family member who treated me very badly for many years. Unfortunately, any woman with that name would have to overcome the stigma attached to it before I could consider her anything more than just a friend.

I usually have the pleasure of being one of only a handful of Keiths in any given environment. It's nice to be slightly uncommon (and not just by name!)
Jun 14th 2013 new
My six brothers and the four of us girls in my family were all named after saints,so all of us learnt to
love our namesake :) I never knew of any other Annes when I was a kid, because it was more common in my Mums' generation. The name Gary is one I can't take too seriously any more,because it reminds me of a certain cartoon with "Gary" the snail! laughing
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-976912 said: My six brothers and the four of us girls in my family were all named after saints,so all of us learnt to
love our namesake :) I never knew of any other Annes when I was a kid, because it was more common in my Mums' generation. The name Gary is one I can't take too seriously any more,because it reminds me of a certain cartoon with "Gary" the snail!
Several of my siblings all have biblical names, also, though not necessarily used as first names... as do my aunts / uncles on my father's side. I wasn't fond of my middle name, Joseph, when I was young, as I was often teasingly called "Joey" by my siblings. As I got a bit older, and learned where my name came from and the specifics of being named not only after Joseph from the bible, but also named after my great-grandfather and the priest at our church whom everyone adored, I found I liked my name very much.
Posts 11 - 20 of 60