Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 14th 2013 new
You remember how, when you named your son, you were determined to give him a good and thoughtful and not so very common name, one that would be the envy of all your friends (for not thinking of it first)? And then you go to your first elementary school open house, and you find out there are another 62 kids with the same name as the one you gave yours? It's sort of like that. It's his name. Personally speaking, I'm proud of mine (and of the other 62 Dougs I know). Had a bad experience with one of the other 62? I didn't do it, I swear.

Jun 14th 2013 new
Not all people with names that were bad are bad... Just because one person by that name is a jerk does not make them all same names jerks..... People get over it....
Jun 14th 2013 new
The name reveals a lot of who the person is. And also a very special relationship that God has with that person
Jun 15th 2013 new
Felicity, actually my son's name is Brian Matthew but we've always called him Matthew because we couldn't agree on a first name. I wanted Matthew Edward, after my father(Edward), and he wanted Raymond, after his father. So to resolve the entire name thing we decided, or shall I say I decided, that we would use Brian as a first name, but always call him Matthew! It is fun to discover how people got their names!
Jun 15th 2013 new
Like many on here, there are certain names that are a bit of a turn off initially based on past experiences, but I think most people can get over those fairly quickly.

I do find there are a lot of repeat names among the women around my age...Melissa, Jessica, Mary, etc.

I am glad I was not named Michael or Ryan - it seemed like there was always two or more of them in any group of guys my age. I like my name usually. It is well-known enough that I never have to tell someone how to spell or say it, but rare enough that I don't meet a lot of people with the same name.

Felicity - were you named after Felicity King from the Road to Avonlea tv series?
Jun 15th 2013 new
Mary is a popular name in my family. I was named after a great grandmother, both grandmothers as well as my own mother and I had a mother-in-law who was also a Mary.
Jun 15th 2013 new
I was named after St. Maria Goretti as my Mom prayed to that saint during her pregnancy. However, I also have a 1st cousin with the same first name as myself. So in school, the teachers would compare me to my cousin.
Jun 15th 2013 new
My firstborn son's name is Jay but I can't really tell you why exactly we chose it. Many people thought it was short for Jason, but we quickly set that right. As he got to adulthood, he began signing his name J. When asked why he did this, he said, "Why should I write 2 totally useless letters?" I think as he's become even more mature, married & a dad, that he now signs his name with all 3 letters! Quirky, no? wink
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Carol-737878 said: I do think it would be weird to enter a relationship with someone who had the same first name as the ex. Even though I always called my former spouse "Honey", just the thought of being with someone with his first name is off-putting.
I'm with you on this Carol. It would be weird to start a relationship with a man with the same first name as my ex, I think it would twist my brain. Funny thing I don't have any friends with his first his first name either, hmmmm. scratchchin
Jun 15th 2013 new
I think this is hysterical!! laughing I often look at a name and a memory - good or bad pops up...glad to read that I'm not the only one. Having been a teacher for 25 years now, I've heard quite a few. I would have to agree that I would be weary of dating someone who had the same name as some of the trouble makers!! haha

I don't think it makes anyone better or worse for associating a name....after all this is online dating!! eyebrow scratchchin hug
Posts 31 - 40 of 60