Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Retired bishops join pro-Planned Parenthood group in call for Catholic funding of pro-abort orgs

goo.gl
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Retired bishops join pro-Planned Parenthood group in call for Catholic funding of pro-abort orgshttp://goo.gl/b6JUA
Sad, tragic and infuriating. Especially grievous is that known and unrepentant heretics like Grumbleton are considered priests in good standing when they should rightly be defrocked.

I'm afraid these are the bitter fruits of the "truce of 1968" that allowed open heresy and apostasy fester in the Church instead of dealing with it head-on. OTOH, if the analysis of Chapter 12 of Revelation given in "the Book of Destiny" is accurate, this may be what we should expect to see, and represents the beginning of the tribulations in Chapters 13-19.
Jun 16th 2013 new
The irony is that Gumbleton and the rest of the Detroit Mafia themselves helped to create a smaller church. Dearden and Gumbleton closed many Catholic schools in Detroit. I think Gumbleton was VG under Dearden back when Catholic intelligentsia started to forcefully advocate tearing down the old ethnic parish structures. So thanks Tom and Iron John for a job well done. Gumbleton claims to have been molested by a priest as a young boy; so maybe Gumbleton isn't wholly to blame for his warped views.
Jun 16th 2013 new
Sad! So sad! We really need to increase our prayers!
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Sad, tragic and infuriating. Especially grievous is that known and unrepentant heretics like Grumbleton are considered priests in good standing when they should rightly be defrocked.

I'm afraid these are the bitter fruits of the "truce of 1968" that allowed open heresy and apostasy fester in the Church instead of dealing with it head-on. OTOH, if the analysis of Chapter 12 of Revelation given in "the Book of Destiny" is accurate, this may be what we should expect to see, and represents the beginning of the tribulations in Chapters 13-19.
Wayward Bishops have existed in the Church since the time of the Apostles. There have even been far more turbulent times in the Church in the past.

So, in itself, it is no more a sign of the end times then was the Mayan Calendar idiocies last year.

One thing is almost certain: your personal end time is far more likely to happen than the ultimate end. So stop worrying about the end of the world and just worry about your own end. And that applies,even if the end of the world were to occur tomorrow.

Your only concern should be your end.
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Wayward Bishops have existed in the Church since the time of the Apostles. There have even been far more turbulent times in the Church in the past.

So, in itself, it is no more a sign of the end times then was the Mayan Calendar idiocies last year.

One thing is almost certain: your personal end time is far more likely to happen than the ultimate end. So stop worrying about the end of the world and just worry about your own end. And that applies,even if the end of the world were to occur tomorrow.

Your only concern should be your end.
yeah, the end is not near, except for much of the ecclesiastical-industrial complex. The spirit of the council people succeeded in destroying a great deal of the American Church. Who will foot the bill for future Church follies after all these years of destruction?
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: yeah, the end is not near, except for much of the ecclesiastical-industrial complex. The spirit of the council people succeeded in destroying a great deal of the American Church. Who will foot the bill for future Church follies after all these years of destruction?
Agreed.
Jun 18th 2013 new
Paul,

I agree with your comments. I suppose that there has been a very significant percentage of the population in every single generation through the last thousands of years that have been convinced that they have been living in (or near) the end times. This is certainly nothing new. I think that it is rather pointless to worry about such things.... As you said, be concerned about one's own personal end time. For most of us here, our end time is almost positively certain to happen before we reach 100 years of age.... and it may happen within the next 1/2-hour if we were to get hit by a truck (or meteorite) while crossing the street.

I think that many concern themselves with the end times because it is exciting on some level. Perhaps it makes one feel that they are living in the "most important" time in history. I really don't understand the near-obsessive concern with the end times from some Protestant preachers.... much more so than in the Catholic religion.

And finally.... One huge reason why we hear so much about wayward bishops and other bad things done in the name of religion is because we are at a unique time in human history (in the last 20-30 years or so) where there is near-instant global communication. 100, 1000, 2000 or 5000 years ago we would not have even heard about most of the news stories that we learn of instantly today.

Just my thoughts.

Ed
Jun 19th 2013 new
The retired bishops (all from the U.S.) are:
  1. Archbishop Fiorenza of Galveston-Houston
  2. Bishop William S. Skylstad of Spokane
  3. Bishop John S. Cummins of Oakland
  4. Bishop Thomas Gumbleton of Detroit
  5. Bishop Ricardo Ramirez of Las Cruces
  6. Bishop Peter Rosazza of Hartford
  7. Bishop Sylvester Ryan of Monterey
  8. Bishop Joseph Sullivan of Brooklyn (he just died, June 7)
  9. Bishop John Leibrecht of Springfield-Cape Girardeau
And one sitting bishop:
  1. Bishop Kevin Dowling of Rustenberg, South Africa

I am reminded of:

The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.
-- St. Athanasius, Council of Nicaea, AD 325, (attributed)

which indicates that the problem of wayward bishops has long been a problem for the church.

And of:
Je 32:32-35 - Old Testament priests sacrifice children
AA 20:28-30 - Paul indicates that some bishops will fall away

That said, I cannot comprehend the weight of the enormous responsibility that was placed on their shoulders.

I say pray for them and those in their charge. Praying
Jun 19th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Sad, tragic and infuriating. Especially grievous is that known and unrepentant heretics like Grumbleton are considered priests in good standing when they should rightly be defrocked.

I'm sorry Steven, I accidentally tapped the "thumbs down" button while reading your post and scrolling down (iPhones!).

Posts 1 - 10 of 14