Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 16th 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: Did the tax collectors have no places to have their meals that that Jesus nut had to go eat with them? What is wrong with those Catholics, don't they understand that Christ always preached that you shouldn't ever talk to people who disagreed with you. That's why he wouldn't accept the drink of water at the well- He was too good to even speak to a Samaritan woman right?

Obviously the way to bring those stinking Protestants back in communion with Rome is to make sure we always treat them like dirt and refuse to ever lend a helping hand.
John, are you simply being sarcastic or what?

If you looked at what I wrote, I distinctly said that real ecumenism has, at core, a Christlike desire that we make new disciples and that all may be one in Christ Jesus. There is a difference between real ecumenical action and the ecumania like this, which acts as if there is no difference between the True Faith and the Protestant denominations.

The first is ecumenism leading to conversion. The latter amounts to Indifferentism.
Jun 16th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: I am not sure what you mean by legal. It is allowed when approved by the local ordinary and the appropiate actions are taken; i.e. removing the Blessed Sacrament if it is in a tabernacle in the main part of the church. If it is already hidden away as it is in far to many Catholic Churches, then it does not matter.

I would also add, that their must be a serious reason for allowing it. Not just to be a nice guy.

I have no problem if someone does not feel well about or as you say gets, "...a creepy feeling." from it.

I do have a problem with those, as so many commented here already, condemn the action as somehow desecrating the Church; or that it is allowing those damned Protestants to sully our church. Especially using some of the language they have.

I would remind them they properly baptized Protestants, as Methodists usually are, are, in fact part of the body of Christ and the Church although they are not aware of the nor in full Communion with it. Most Protestants today are not heretics although they may believe heretical things.

The heretics, in this case, were John and Charles Wesley and George Whitefield as well as their early adherents who left the Church to join them. Those Methodists today who were either born into that denomination or came to it from some other Protestant sect and don't know the truth and have not renounced the truth are not heretics. They are uninformed and unformed.

And technically no ordination took place whether or not the ceremony included a Janice Someone, since they are unable to ordain anyone, male or female. They have no priesthood, so the "ordaining" Bishop is not a Bishop and cannot ordain anyone.
I agree with your comments.--The diocese does,however, need to be somewhat careful in who it allows in the church. There has to be a line somewhere.--And I am not necessarily referring to Janice. It could be something well beyond that.
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: John, are you simply being sarcastic or what?

If you looked at what I wrote, I distinctly said that real ecumenism has, at core, a Christlike desire that we make new disciples and that all may be one in Christ Jesus. There is a difference between real ecumenical action and the ecumania like this, which acts as if there is no difference between the True Faith and the Protestant denominations.

The first is ecumenism leading to conversion. The latter amounts to Indifferentism.
You get it.I don't think Paul and John do.Do they?
Jun 17th 2013 new
The UMC and to a large extent the Catholic Church are both dying mainline churches. Birds of a feather, I guess?
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: The UMC and to a large extent the Catholic Church are both dying mainline churches. Birds of a feather, I guess?
the catholic church is dying? doesn't seem to be anywhere I attend mass. where are your stats?
Jun 18th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: the catholic church is dying? doesn't seem to be anywhere I attend mass. where are your stats?
Declining marriages, baptisms, you name it. CA is much different from the rest of the country because of in-migration. The northeast is the worst and the midwest is heading that direction.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Good heavens of course not. A few centuries apart don't you think.

But the principles he was discussing are applicable here. False worship is a sin against the first commandment. Culpability diminishes yes, but a bishop knows better. To use a sacred space for such heretical acts is well.....

The fact that we have used Protestant spaces is not applicable as WE have right worship, they do not. Toleration can be a serious sin.
The few centuries apart is rather part of my point.

We aren't talking about pagans offering sacrifices to idols here. We are talking about a group of Christians (who have certainly deprived themselves of part of revelation) naming a new leader for themselves. I don't know that that rises to the level of heresy.

Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: John, are you simply being sarcastic or what?

I was indeed being sarcastic.

Putting that aside, you are making a lot of assumptions as to the motives behind the decision here. It is within the realm of possibility that you might be right. But the only "evidence" presented in this discussion by any of the opposition to the decision has been nothing but conceit and disdain of Protestants. I don't find that convincing.

If somebody would like to present an argument that this particular case is a bad way to pursue ecumenical action because of particular criteria other than automatic contempt for all things Protestant, I'd be quite willing to listen and may well agree.

However, it started with nothing more than hysterical screaming about blasphemy and heresy. Once that toned done a little bit, we still have nothing more than "we're right and Protestants are wrong." While I agree with that last point as a general statement on theology, it does not follow that each and every individual action taken by a Protestant must therefore be morally incorrect.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: You get it.I don't think Paul and John do.Do they?
Paul and I are quite capable of rationally explaining our positions without resorting to constant ad hominem attacks to keep the "conversation" going. That requires "getting it" to a much greater depth than conducting and "argument" consisting of nothing more than an unsupported assertion of "I'm right and you're wrong" followed by insults about everybody else's intelligence. Any elementary school child is capable of the later "method," which doesn't require "getting" anything.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: I agree with your comments.--The diocese does,however, need to be somewhat careful in who it allows in the church. There has to be a line somewhere.--And I am not necessarily referring to Janice. It could be something well beyond that.
I think everything you say here is true. The problem with this whole discussion, as I see it anyway, is the knee-jerk automatic assumption in some quarters that anything involving Protestants must necessarily involve blasphemy, heresy, etc.
Posts 31 - 40 of 50