Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jun 19 new
I think women should all wear burkas to the beach. call me old fashioned...but..
Jun 19 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: It's not always the teenagers though; lots of times it's middle-aged women too. Sometimes it's a whole family, "led" by a father, which often makes me wonder what sort of leadership that is. I would not allow my daughters to own such clothing much less wear it. Modesty starts in the clothing store. I know it can be difficult (even I as a man find clothes shopping tedious and depressing these days) but buying appropriate clothing is necessary. Jesus never said that being a Christian would be easy.
I am curious as to how a father would enforce such rules about clothing with his daughters in mind. I think there is a lot that one would have to take into consideration in trying to reach our youth to help them see what the reason behind this is. I truly do not think it would be very easy to do this and one would have to have a very good relationship with one's daughters. However some girls are doing this naturally on their own, by choosing more plain looking jeans and T shirts for everyday wear.Or by choosing skirts and tops that are not tight. I have noticed that some beautiful dresses are in fashion. But some look like they are designed for going to a club. One would have to educate one's daughters on the difference. How to do this without alienating on'e daughters would be a challenge. One has to communicate it without making them feel self conscious and embarrassed about themselves. This is not easy to do. Please share what the middle aged women are wearing that you dislike. I can imagione but I need a specific description to address it. I do agree middle aged woman are doing it as well.
Jun 19 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: I think women should all wear burkas to the beach. call me old fashioned...but..
Really? or are you being facetious?
Jun 20 new
(quote) Marian-83994 said: Really? or are you being facetious?
forget it--catholics shouldn't even be allowed on beaches--unless they are a married couple and the only 2 people on the beach
Jun 20 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: forget it--catholics shouldn't even be allowed on beaches--unless they are a married couple and the only 2 people on the beach
Why, Tom? Because of others seeing them? Or them seeing others? How about those of us who have custody of our eyes and thoughts?
Jun 20 new
This video has been making the rounds both on here (wasn't it you Rachel that posted it yesterday?) and amongst my Facebook friends yesterday and today. What I find interesting is how until just prior to the end, it remains a very secular argument for modesty.

www.youtube.com

Jun 20 new
Your funny :-)
Jun 21 new
(quote) Monica-742707 said: This video has been making the rounds both on here ... it remains a very secular argument for modesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVHRJbgLz8

Thanks for sharing Monica! The speaker did a great job in her talk on modesty. I grew up with mostly brothers so I both saw & heard firsthand their reactions to other girls as well as their comments if I were to wear something inappropriate (not usually the case with me). I also am thankful for the nuns & lay religious who taught me strong values growing up in regards to modesty. We all have to remember we're brothers & sisters in Christ & think things in this regard...even when we need to look the other way if someone's not dressed the "best". :-)
Jun 22 new
Monica,

I saw this same video www.youtube.com on a FB link last night. It is excellent, and ties in a Princeton research study (evidence-based- I like that) about what happens to the male brain when men view scantily dressed women. Using MRIs, they saw which part of the male brain "lit up" and which part "shut down" when exposed to women in different clothing. I know that it takes almost 10 minutes of your life to watch this video, and I do recommend it! We need this kind of information to share with others so that we don't sound overly emotional, overly "religious," pious, "uptight," or whatever you want to call it.

Another thought that I had about watching this video and listening to it was how many little girls have dressed in yellow bikinis and danced in recitals, and how many times has this song been played, sung and listened to over the years? I never knew about the "bathing huts" in the early 1900's (and don't want to experience one, either!) and the history behind the bikini.

Many years ago I had a DRE speak about the effects of music and how it was used to spread heresies. Catchy tunes with heretical lyrics would be made up, and then be sung in the port bars. The sailors on shore leave would learn them, and take them to their next port of call, spreading them as they went. Eventually these tunes made it into the home, and mothers sang them with their children. By the time they had disseminated the history or truth behind them was lost. With the advent of recordings being available to the masses (radio, records, tapes, CDs and now digital media) these tunes permeate quickly, like the "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny...."

Before I ramble on and on.... thanks Monica for sharing, and for anyone who took the time to read my post, please watch the video- it's worth the 9-1/2 minutes.
Jun 22 new
I'm disappointed only a couple of guys have commented on this thread so far. I know most men like modest women. I'm just wondering why there have been so few comments from men.
Posts 21 - 30 of 47