Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 9th 2013 new
A continuous example of common courtesy/good manners ,chivalry here is at a new chain of supermarkets
where time after time if you have a big load,you can let those with little go before you and the same kind act is returned many times smileI just love it as there is a peaceful atmosphere and strangers start chatting.A stranger recently commented on my 11 year old sons good manners(standing back and letting a woman go first)
and it made my heart glow.There is no feeling of competition, and young tough looking people are respectful .

Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-976912 said: A continuous example of common courtesy/good manners ,chivalry here is at a new chain of supermarkets
where time after time if you have a big load,you can let those with little go before you and the same kind act is returned many times I just love it as there is a peaceful atmosphere and strangers start chatting.A stranger recently commented on my 11 year old sons good manners(standing back and letting a woman go first)
and it made my heart glow.There is no feeling of competition, and young tough looking people are respectful .

smile Very nice post Anne. And yes....it is ALWAYS a good thing to see people being charitable! Your son was taught well~
Jun 20th 2013 new
Don't know if this counts but I'll tell you anyway. The other day I was with a friend at a movie rental store which was going out of business. So instead of "renting" the movies...they were all on sale. We were at the register with a lady and her (daughter?) standing in front. She was asking for a refund....that the movie she had did not play. She said another movie she bought did. As this store had "all sales final" signs posted everywhere I knew the man's answer would be no. She did not look mad so much as....maybe she had plans for the money and was disappointed? (the reason her movie did not play was she had a reg. DVD player and not a "blue ray") However since the clerk was adamant I could see where it might escalate a little...so I said, "Ma'am these are eight dollars...if you don't mind me asking is that what you paid?" She said yes. I said, "Well why don't I buy the movie from you?" I then asked the clerk for change who happily obliged (glad to be let out of the trap!) She was astounded as I handed her the money...so much so she forgot to hand the movie over. I jokingly said, "Well I might be needing that." We all laughed and good moods restored. After they thanked me I paid for my items and the clerk thanked me. Outside they were getting in a old raggedty car...and smiled and thanked me again. This was indeed a small gesture by me...but seemed significant to them~
Jun 20th 2013 new
That was an amazing gesture. You made a difference that day. Kudos for you.
Jun 20th 2013 new
I do believe that chivalry still exists. Sometimes, it may not be recognized as it should be. Lots of women in Quebec have difficulty accepting it or they don't even recognize what is chilvary. I feel that some women are having difficulties with that they think it sends them back to 50 years ago. It may be an effect of the feminist movement... What are your thoughts on this?

Anyways, I went to attend the Corpus Christi celebration in Montreal. One of my friends is part of the Knights of Colombus. The Knights were in service during the ceremony. When I saw him I waved hello, and he took off his hat in response. My friend said: "Look he took off his hat for you!" I didn't even recognized that it was a sign of chilvary at first. But it was one of the most classy things I saw in a while.
Jun 20th 2013 new
Thank you Carolina. You know? I watched it the other night...and it was every bit as good as the ones I had chosen for myself!! lol!
Jun 20th 2013 new
Thanks for posting Melissa. The Knights are indeed impressive. I especially love....during the Consecration...those swords are up to their lips. Such impressive reverence! As for the "movement"? I really haven't speculated on that too much. I tend to think since many folks....(male and female) perform acts of chivalry everyday....it falls more in line with how people were "brought up" I mean.....MANNERS are manners! Those who don't practice this miss the real meaning of giving to others. And in reality it brings joy to BOTH sides~ IMHO
Jun 26th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said:

As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women" I believe it still exists....just maybe not like it was.

Ladies- Can you cite examples you've experienced or witnessed?

Guys: Can you cite INSTANCES....base on YOUR experiences or others?

Okay maybe this will qualify: The other day an elderly lady was walking slowly with a cane towards the door of a convenience store. I was right behind her trying to hurry up. She reached up to get the door and when she did she dropped the cane with the other hand. So I said, "I'll help you maam" I grabbed the cane and gave it to her while getting the door and holding it open. She said, "Oh...thank you young man" (I liked that part!)

Sadly, I'd have to say that my experience with chivalry and women on here has been interesting to say the least. Most of the time, it wasn't really appreciated or noticed by women that I've gone on dates with which came as a surprise to me. I remember on one date, one gal looked at me weird because I held the door for her and pulled out her chair for her. Later on in the evening, she remarked that she wasn't used to being treated that way. Another woman I went on a date with told me that it made her feel like she wasn't independent enough to do things on her own.
Jun 26th 2013 new
Bahha this reminds me of school. I went to a Catholic university and you could always tell if someone was a seminarian because they were pretty much the only ones who would hold the doors open for the ladies. Now if only the other men would have followed suit... Another example I've seen is at work. I have to set up events and sometimes have to make 4 or 5 trips to the car carrying posters and easels. The older men I work with (all 50s+) were usually very chivalrous and would help me carry things. It definitely helped me to better appreciate the upbringing of those in the generations before me. (Granted these men still swear like truckers and I doubt their mothers would approve. hahaha) On a bummer note- one time (ok multiple times) my car battery was dead, the hood was popped open, I had no jumper cables, and my phone was dead (plus I knew no one in the city anyway) and no one offered to help despite the fact that I was in a full Target parking lot. I lost quite a bit of hope in humanity/chivalry that day. So PLEASE, if you ever see someone crying and looking confused into the hood of their car, offer to help.
Jun 28th 2013 new
I'm from Missouri and while I see a lot of rudeness in the world for the most part in my area folks still hold the door open for each other and most will ask if you need help carrying something or are looking clueless on the side of the road with a flat tire. That's not to say that all folks appreciate it. I always say thank you but I asked a guy who's car was stalled in the middle of a busy intersection if he needed help one time and he just yelled at me he was younger so not everyone here has manners either.
Posts 161 - 170 of 188