Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

The purpose of this thread is to engage other CMers to post what they like to wear that is modest, and what they like to see others of the opposite gender wear that is almost modest.

I'll start:

For casual dress, I am in love with the long, cargo skirt. It's feminine, but it is playful and comfy and casual, and depending on the fabric, it can even be somewhat dressed up.

For dressing up, I am all about layering little jackets to cover my arms, since a lot of dress tops nowadays aren't perfectly modest.

Casual for men:
I totally prefer rolled-up sleeves to short sleeves and in the summer, lighter fabrics with long sleeves.

I really don't like flip-flops on anyone.

For dress up, like for Mass, I always prefer a jacket than than just a nice shirt by itself, but that's just me.

Now that I've got the ball rolling, I'll let some other people provide their suggestions and later I'll mention the stores I prefer for modest clothes for men or women.
Jun 19th 2013 new
Casual: I love layers- I put a t-shirt under almost anything and a jacket over it. angel I own some jeans- jean SKIRTS that is wink
- we need to avoid too tight, see-through, or low.... so much for shopping without an education in sewing.

Dressy: sigh.. my closet needs an update, but I like the flowy, slightly hippish looking shirts and yep, skirts of all kinds. And high heels!

Guys dressy: SUIT-UP! Seriously.. a man in tie-and-jacket is instantly more attractive.

Guys casual: collared short-sleeve kind of shirts.. better quality t-shirts maybe, but not the too thin, please. Shorts to the knees and nothing too tight. It's pretty easy for a man to be modest, so enjoy that, gentlemen.
Jun 20th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: The purpose of this thread is to engage other CMers to post what they like to wear that is modest, and what they like to see others of the opposite gender wear that is almost modest.

I'll start:

For casual dress, I am in love with the long, cargo skirt. It's feminine, but it is playful and comfy and casual, and depending on the fabric, it can even be somewhat dressed up.

For dressing up, I am all about layering little jackets to cover my arms, since a lot of dress tops nowadays aren't perfectly modest.

Casual for men:
I totally prefer rolled-up sleeves to short sleeves and in the summer, lighter fabrics with long sleeves.

For dress up, like for Mass, I always prefer a jacket than than just a nice shirt by itself, but that's just me.

Now that I've got the ball rolling, I'll let some other people provide their suggestions and later I'll mention the stores I prefer for modest clothes for men or women.
To dress modest means not to show too much skin and cover what should remain covered.
Jun 20th 2013 new
They have those cami secrets now for women, they clip onto your bra and cover the cleavage I used to put handkerchiefs there. These are great! And they come in 6 colors.

I like shrugs to cover the upper arms and skirts below the knee. Unless I am hanging around the house.

And for men, I like it when their pants fit not hanging around below their boxer shorts! And no shorts for church, long pants and neat shirts are better.
Jun 20th 2013 new
Tom, you're definition is much more subjective than standards set in prescribed recommendations in the Church, but are not usually discussed. Never-the-less, the definition of modesty itself is broader than just what you stated. If you look at the definition, it has to do with due decorum, and defending purity.
Jun 21st 2013 new
I too use cami secrets. They're great for adding a modest layer without adding extra bulk or an actual full layer - a huge bonus in Texas summer heat! And I have a big selection of light shrugs and sweaters to cover my arms.

The only thing I really struggle with is shorts. It's getting harder to find modest shorts (other than Bermuda shorts most of which do not flatter my shape!).
Jun 21st 2013 new
Most days its Dockers and a button down shirt. I keep a tie and coat around in case of important meetings.

Weekends at home its Jeans and Tees, occationally shorts, mostly of the athletic nature for walking and such. I do have knee length styled shorts for going out in , but I do thins only when its really hot.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Felicity-929402 said: Casual: I love layers- I put a t-shirt under almost anything and a jacket over it. I own some jeans- jean SKIRTS that is
- we need to avoid too tight, see-through, or low.... so much for shopping without an education in sewing.

Dressy: sigh.. my closet needs an update, but I like the flowy, slightly hippish looking shirts and yep, skirts of all kinds. And high heels!

Guys dressy: SUIT-UP! Seriously.. a man in tie-and-jacket is instantly more attractive.

Guys casual: collared short-sleeve kind of shirts.. better quality t-shirts maybe, but not the too thin, please. Shorts to the knees and nothing too tight. It's pretty easy for a man to be modest, so enjoy that, gentlemen.
You forget that being modest is about dressing in a way such as not to arouse attractions and desire in another person. It works both ways: 1) it protects you from being objectified and 2) and it protects the other person from being lured into sin.So when you mention what you find attractive, that right there could be a problem.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: The purpose of this thread is to engage other CMers to post what they like to wear that is modest, and what they like to see others of the opposite gender wear that is almost modest.

I'll start:

Casual for men:

You started out good, but then you launched in to what YOU find attractive. Like I said earier, modesty is about protecting yourself and others from occasion to sin. I would focus more on things such as why we dress in a way to honor God as opposed to appealing to the imaginations/desires of another(which then defeats the purpose).
Jun 21st 2013 new
Greg, I believe that is what this post is meant to do, is think modestly. And that is attractive because it shows your love for God and self respect and purity. That is what this website is meant mostly to be, a dating site, to find a good Catholic spouse. hug
Posts 1 - 10 of 49