Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

We're not in Kansas, Anymore

Jun 21st 2013 new
I live in Southeast Iowa. Lovely area, Right on the Mississppi, It never ceases to amaze me the people that call this area home. We have the LDS (Mormons) Church across the river in Nauvoo, Il. Several pockets of Amish and Mennonite in rural Missouri and Iowa. Maharshis to the North, in Fairfield and Vedic CIty IA. THey recently had one thousand hindu monks praying for peace there. A New Kingdom Hall was built in My hometown, Montrose. There were so many Jehovah Witness Volunteers it was wild. ( not really wild..they are quite mild mannered) If I travel to Iowa City..there are Muslims and Jews. I love it. But I want to live my Catholic identity out loud, beyond my Virgin Mary Statue in the front yard. Even though I work in a government office, I have a small Crucifix on my desk. We cross ourselves and pray grace before meals, even in restaurants.
Like the song says, they will know we are Christians by out love....But I want them to know Catholic. I worry I am hung up on it...I am just wondering how many times a week, other Catholics do or say something that is really Catholic. It comes naturally to me...but I don't want people to think I am into " product placement". Thoughts anyone?
Jun 21st 2013 new
Cannot contribute much since I do live in Kansas :-) I would say that if you live your life as a true Catholic, as it seems to be the case, others will notice. In other words, lead by example. That is what I do. Also when I talk to people I mention my parish activities. Keep up your good job!
Jun 28th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-978309 said: I live in Southeast Iowa. Lovely area, Right on the Mississppi, It never ceases to amaze me the people that call this area home. We have the LDS (Mormons) Church across the river in Nauvoo, Il. Several pockets of Amish and Mennonite in rural Missouri and Iowa. Maharshis to the North, in Fairfield and Vedic CIty IA. THey recently had one thousand hindu monks praying for peace there. A New Kingdom Hall was built in My hometown, Montrose. There were so many Jehovah Witness Volunteers it was wild. ( not really wild..they are quite mild mannered) If I travel to Iowa City..there are Muslims and Jews. I love it. But I want to live my Catholic identity out loud, beyond my Virgin Mary Statue in the front yard. Even though I work in a government office, I have a small Crucifix on my desk. We cross ourselves and pray grace before meals, even in restaurants.
Like the song says, they will know we are Christians by out love....But I want them to know Catholic. I worry I am hung up on it...I am just wondering how many times a week, other Catholics do or say something that is really Catholic. It comes naturally to me...but I don't want people to think I am into " product placement". Thoughts anyone?
Cathy:

That is quite a description of the different groups of people who live around your
state. I was thinking that the NY area does not have Amish and Mennonite or
pockets of Mormons. But then I thought, well, it is NY, and there must be a
lot of different groups here. I know there are 100 different languages spoken
in NYC if I remember correctly.

The only thing I can say is that there is Harlem, and Spanish Harlem and
Little Italy and Chinatown and the Lower East Side which used to be very
Jewish.

But I would have to say that there are probably hundreds of Catholic Churches
spotting all of the five boroughs of NYC. So the Catholic Identity is visible
but lots of Old churches have closed because the ethnic populations have
moved on and meshed with the rest of Americans.

I found that just mentioning that I have to go to the 5pm Mass on Saturday
or the 11am Mass on Sunday sends a message to people that I cannot go
with them until I go to Mass.

New Yorkers make it a point to find out a person's background like ethnic
identity and religion. So, Catholics are kind of pinpointed like any other
religion. In other words, they know we are Catholic.
Posts 1 - 3 of 3