Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 20th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-924110 said: When I fry bacon, I fry the whole pound and use whatever I want and put the rest in the freezer in a zip lock bag. You can have cooked bacon by just warming it up for thirty seconds or so. Instant BLT or Sunday eggs and bacon without the mess.
I watch LOTS of cooking shows & at least one recommended baking the bacon instead of frying it--less mess. There were probably a couple of other good reasons for baking vs. frying, but I don't recall them.

In re: microwaving the ice cream, there was something I read a while ago that said NOT to do that. But I do agree that sometimes that's the only way to scoop out that frozen block. I tend to set it out on the counter for a little while to soften. Wish I could remember why microwaving was not recommended, though.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Mary-924110 said: When I fry bacon, I fry the whole pound and use whatever I want and put the rest in the freezer in a zip lock bag. You can have cooked bacon by just warming it up for thirty seconds or so. Instant BLT or Sunday eggs and bacon without the mess.
I also fry the entire pkg of bacon. But, I don't freeze the leftovers because there aren't any! I love bacon and mayo sandwiches on sourdough toast. yum!
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Carol-737878 said: I watch LOTS of cooking shows & at least one recommended baking the bacon instead of frying it--less mess. There were probably a couple of other good reasons for baking vs. frying, but I don't recall them.

In re: microwaving the ice cream, there was something I read a while ago that said NOT to do that. But I do agree that sometimes that's the only way to scoop out that frozen block. I tend to set it out on the counter for a little while to soften. Wish I could remember why microwaving was not recommended, though.
I came back here to tell you all that I use the defrost on the micro with the ice cream. My mom said she uses the heating element on high for a few seconds but when I did that the carton got heated rather quickly.

I work with a woman who hates using the microwave. Dr. Oz had a segment last year telling why it's best to not use it at all. She was determined to not even heat up water in her cup in it. what an ordeal though for her with our time being so limited. eventually, he told the public to go ahead and use it. Everything is not good to use these days according to doctors and experts. just think though that our grandparents and great grandparents fried bacon and eggs, pork chops and chicken all the time and lived to be 100. My motto is whatever is easiest is what I do. that micro won't kill me in the end.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Tips in the kitchen? Sure, the jar is just next to the range. Bills only, please, we don't like coins, and we don't take Canadian.

laughing Well, we take American money of any sort.
I'll even supply my address if you'd like
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: I also microwave the entire pkg of bacon. But, I don't freeze the leftovers because there aren't any! I love bacon and mayo sandwiches on sourdough toast. yum!
Jun 21st 2013 new
Will you take wolverine pelts?
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Will you take wolverine pelts?
yes, we will accept beaver and otter pelts too.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Carol-737878 said: I watch LOTS of cooking shows & at least one recommended baking the bacon instead of frying it--less mess. There were probably a couple of other good reasons for baking vs. frying, but I don't recall them.

In re: microwaving the ice cream, there was something I read a while ago that said NOT to do that. But I do agree that sometimes that's the only way to scoop out that frozen block. I tend to set it out on the counter for a little while to soften. Wish I could remember why microwaving was not recommended, though.
I found a site at http://www.realsimple.com that explains why you shouldn't microwave ice cream but skipped over that part. Got to the bottom of the page and saw this which grabbed my attention.

Soften Ice Cream

Remove top and liner (if any) of carton. Microwave on high (power level 10) in 10-second intervals, checking in between, until ice cream reaches desired consistency.
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: I found a site at www.realsimple.com that explains why you shouldn't microwave ice cream but skipped over that part. Got to the bottom of the page and saw this which grabbed my attention.

Soften Ice CreamRemove top and liner (if any) of carton. Microwave on high (power level 10) in 10-second intervals, checking in between, until ice cream reaches desired consistency.
people who haven't done it are saying it will taste bad but can't hurt you. Mine never tastes bad. The trick is to use the defrost cycle instead of the heat.

that site has lots of useful information. check it out.
Jun 21st 2013 new
if your cheese curds are a little old, you can get the squeak back in them by placing 'em into the microwave for about 20 - 25 seconds as well cheese
Posts 11 - 20 of 61