Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
Jun 22nd 2013 new
This is a really good question. I too have possessions that would really make the right people very happy after I am gone, but those people may not be involved in the disposition of those things. It is one of those things that bothers me about the prospect of not having anyone to carry the torch when I am gone.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
Sounds like a "mother lode" for Ebay and half.com!
Jun 22nd 2013 new
I would donate it to Goodwill or the Catholic Charities at least someone else could get use out of the items.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
If you use it, donate it later when you find you don't use it.
If you aren't using it now, sell it. Or donate it to a Veteran's home or other place with mostly male population.
Your executors will throw it in the trash, I guarantee.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

If you're using the stuff, hold onto it and enjoy.
If you're not using the stuff and you're into downsizing and/or getting things into the hands of someone who would enjoy or use them:
have a yard sale
advertise on e-bay
donate the items(or the sale proceeds) to a charity

Clear up the shelves and you'll feel better(no to mention someone down the road who will say: Why didn't he get rid of this load of @@###$$$!

Break out the Bankers Boxes!!
Jun 22nd 2013 new
Do you know about Listia? My cousin is using it. I don't understand it completely but I think it works like this.. People post things that they want to get rid of (give away) and get credits to use towards other people's stuff that is being given away. You might want to check in to it.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
Hi Chris - I agree about having a yard sale. You could list the items in your ad and bring out some collectors who are looking just for that stuff! Maybe you could donate some of the musical items to church. I just moved 3 times in less than a year and a half and got rid of a lot of stuff it's very cleansing! Good luck
Jun 22nd 2013 new
Decluttering is the story of my life right now. I've been having this discussion with others around our age for the last couple of years, and now I'm finally doing something about it. My name is Michael, and I am a collector. Picker. Accumulator. I've been going to estate sales and thrift stores for decades (my parents, may they rest in piece, ran a St Vincent DePaul thrift store for 25 years, so it is in my blood). It has come to the point that I can no longer move about in my small house without tripping over "stuff".

This is the year, the summer in fact, that I am taking action. When in my 20's, a wise young Michael said, "I never want more 'stuff' that I care about than what I can take in the back of a pickup truck when I move". Well, I'm making that move, and I am only taking what I can fit in the back of a 10'x6' budget rental truck. Loading that little guy up and hauling it down to Florida. When I get back, and as soon as I can find a job in FL, I'll be contacting one of the estate sale companies in town to sell the rest of it: books, records, toys, collectibles, sporting goods, vintage furniture, electronics, baseball cards, tons of stuff. Yeah, I'm still going to have some stuff that I bring with me to my next home, but my new mantra is "quality over quantity".

Now to keep myself from reloading my new little house in FL rolling eyes

Jun 22nd 2013 new
Hey Michael! wave

Where are you moving to in FL?! faint wink

I recently was reminded about Amazon.com, and will look into becoming a vendor on there. I'm not into the auction of eBay, or the massive amount of competition.

I moved this year, and I'm now assessing if I can get rid of more stuff. I recently got my apt. ready for hurricane season. For the first time, I am more at risk of flooding than roof damage (I'm on the ground floor), so I put everything up on storage tubs. Stuff that I want to sort out is readily available, which includes a few boxes of "souvenirs" that I have been carrying around since girlhood! laughing

Having a child helped "de-clutter" because you have to keep getting rid of clothes that don't fit, and toys that they outgrow. Eventually you figure that if you get rid of their stuff, you should get rid of yours.

I had a major move last year, and got what I wanted (out of a 2 or 3 bedroom house) down to 2 U-boxes and my car. Like I said, I will downsize some more. I had kept everything of value, but now (especially after traveling for four or five months in the last year), I really have re-evaluated what I need, value or not (Christmas decorations are a good example). Depending on my next locale, I might have to go into a smaller place for a while. To be determined... wink

Posts 1 - 10 of 33