Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I wonder what God really wants.....Does He want us to be married or single ? God created Adam,,,and then created Eve to be a companion to and for and with Adam...

I personally think that God wishes for us to be married so we can have close, loving companionship..But I could be wrong too...!

If we do not give 100% in trying to find a spouse, do you feel that we are disappointing God ??
Does this concept even enter our thought process that maybe God wants us to be married ?

Your thoughts !!!!
Jun 24th 2013 new
Kenny God probably does want us married in some sense. The saints that were single generally were married in a spiritual sense to either Jesus or Mary. I have been single all of my life and always thought I would marry and have children - did not happen - did I do something wrong or was its God will, I probably will not know until I reach Heaven(Jesus and Mary help me)!! I still hope to find a soul mate but at least I can tease my four long time married sisters that most saints were single!
Jun 25th 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said: If we do not give 100% in trying to find a spouse, do you feel that we are disappointing God ??
I think we disappoint Him if we don't give 100% to whatever our vocation is.

The problem is, figuring out what that vocation is supposed to be. If God wants me married, I wish He'd clearly communicate as much.
Jun 25th 2013 new
The real question is: Does God want a Bozo to try to have phone sex with Boza(s)?

Saint Michael the Archangel,
Defend us in battle
Be our protection against the
wickedness and snares
of the devil;
May God rebuke him,
we humbly pray;
O Prince
of the heavenly host,
By the Power of God,
thrust into hell
Satan and all evil spirits
Who wander through the world
For the ruin of souls.

Amen

Jun 25th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I think we disappoint Him if we don't give 100% to whatever our vocation is.

The problem is, figuring out what that vocation is supposed to be. If God wants me married, I wish He'd clearly communicate as much.
He does, I think, communicate clearly quietly to us. But, we have so much noise in the channel, so to speak, it's hard to hear over the clamor of our own thoughts. Consider this (and this is my own opinion based on my own experiences in the world), you ARE where God wants you NOW. If you are suffering, or confused, or anxious, it's because, in your heart of hearts, you are trying to bend God's will to match yours. He will NOT be denied if you believe in Him. Try it the other way for a change: Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding and my entire will, All I have and call my own: You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace. That is enough for me. Amazing how things can change when you truly put it in HIS hands.
Jun 25th 2013 new
Marge I agree with you on that one!
Jun 25th 2013 new
I believe I am right where I am supposed to be.

I like Bryan's post,---

Give it all to God, and in Him, we will find Rest!
Jun 25th 2013 new
I've said that prayer nearly every day for 15+ years. Still don't really know what He wants, though....
Jun 25th 2013 new
I thought I knew God's plan for me but I was wrong. I pray everyday to hear His plan for my life and His will for me. I'm still waiting for those answers!
Jun 25th 2013 new
Does God want us to be married or single? St. Paul said it was better to be single, but to marry if necessary to avoid sin, per se. That sounds as though we can and should marry if we feel we need to. To some that would seem to be easier said than done.

This quote would encourage us to do more than just pray and wait:
"God gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest." Swedish Proverb

If we do not give 100% in trying to find a spouse, do you feel that we are disappointing God ??
We are not supposed to bury our talents. The Gospel admonishes us against that. I think that bible passage may have some sort of relevance here. If we are confused or ambivalent, we surely would be less blameworthy concerning any lack of progress.
Does this concept even enter our thought process that maybe God wants us to be married ? I think that if God gave us the desire to be married, then that is a clue regarding our vocation. However, if there seems to be insurmountable roadblocks, we may need to be more resigned to the fact that we may be called to remain single for some length of time or possibly the rest of our days.
Posts 1 - 10 of 14