Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) John-559440 said: Best tip is foil for anytthing on a cookie sheet. Clean up in 7.2 seconds. Except cookies I think... because Ive never made cookies.
I agree. i had to run out last night to Big Lots to get more aluminium foil. I won't heat anything in the oven w/o it.
With cookies though I use a non stick cooking sheet which works very well. The best one I have is the Paula Deen one. I paid more for it than for an ordinary one but it's worth it.
Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: About the bacon, I use kitchen shears to cut the bacon slices in half right prior to separating and frying. this way, they cook faster and do not curl up. They also cook more evenly.
I defrost the bacon package in a sink full of hot water before opening, then cut the entire package in half. I then cook it in a George Foreman grill, so there's no popping and bubbling of grease all over my stovetop, and I get wonderfully-cooked bacon without having to stand over a frying pan or griddle. plus, the GF grill keeps the bacon from curling, too!
Jun 27th 2013 new
Was recently discussing this with another CM member... quick / easy asparagus recipes...

Grilled asparagus:
Put 1 lb of fresh asparagus in a pan, drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, while stirring / tossing to coat evenly
Add fresh cracked sea salt and/or vegetable seasoning, again stirring / tossing to coat
Grill over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, rolling the asparagus to cook evenly

Candied Bacon-Asparagus:
Wrap groups of 3-4 asparagus spears with bacon slices
Melt 4 tablespoons butter and stir-in 1/2 cup brown sugar in small bowl or mixing cup
Drizzle mixture of melted butter and brown sugar over bacon-wrapped asparagus
Bake in the oven until the bacon is cooked, I usually do about 350 for 10 mins or so

Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) John-34848 said:
Poutine.....another Canadian invention

Its just delicious. Its good to have some when you've been out and aboot, eh?
Yummy stuff... had that when i visited Montreal many years back... variations on it can be found in a few places around KC, too!
Jun 27th 2013 new
Quick tip for garlic lovers, though many may already know this one:

To peel garlic, simply place single clove on cutting board, lay your kitchen knife across the clove (knife on it's side on top of garlic), and give a quick smack with your fist on top of the knife. This will partially mash the garlic, and you'll be able to easily remove the dry outer skin...

Like this: www.thekitchn.com

Jun 27th 2013 new
Tip for the garbage disposal:

Whenever you use citrus fruits, especially lemon or lime, drop a few small pieces of the rind into the garbage disposal. Run the disposal w/o adding water for a few seconds, then turn off the disposal and leave ground-up citrus rind in the disposal for 20-30 minutes. This helps to freshen things up in that nasty disposal...
Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: I defrost the bacon package in a sink full of hot water before opening, then cut the entire package in half. I then cook it in a George Foreman grill, so there's no popping and bubbling of grease all over my stovetop, and I get wonderfully-cooked bacon without having to stand over a frying pan or griddle. plus, the GF grill keeps the bacon from curling, too!
Do you have much cleanup?
Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: Quick tip for garlic lovers, though many may already know this one:

To peel garlic, simply place single clove on cutting board, lay your kitchen knife across the clove (knife on it's side on top of garlic), and give a quick smack with your fist on top of the knife. This will partially mash the garlic, and you'll be able to easily remove the dry outer skin...

Like this: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-peel-garlic-quickly-and-44659

And, to get the garlicky smell off your hands, rub stainless steel and wash your hands with soap! Also works well for onions!!
Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: Do you have much cleanup?
Not much cleanup. The George Foreman grill cleans up pretty easily, since it's non-stick. Easy clean-up is always a plus!
Jun 27th 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: And, to get the garlicky smell off your hands, rub stainless steel and wash your hands with soap! Also works well for onions!!
Oh yes, I do that, too. I've even seen stainless steel "soap bars" in some of those fancy knick-knack stores
that you can keep next to the kitchen sink for this purpose.
Posts 41 - 50 of 61