Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Weve known for a long time, to quote the Greek philosopher Epictetus, that men are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them,'
Jun 28th 2013 new
(quote) Marian-83994 said: Weve known for a long time, to quote the Greek philosopher Epictetus, that men are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them,'
Some of us are aware that our thoughts can determine how we feel emotionally and even physically. Some of us have learned to use thoughts to our advantage so that we develop managerial skills toward ourselves manage ourselves and through problem solving and reframing, instead of simply complaining or moaning on about life- in the meantime we "think differently" to get by....sometimes, when we can change anything immediately.................................................. Has anyone gained experience in this area in any way? Has anyone noticed that our thoughts affect our moods? ............................The above quote that opens this is from a current article from today on Yahoo Shine about stress...so I thought why not bring this up here and see if members have comments or ideas to share....
Jun 28th 2013 new
(quote) Marian-83994 said: Some of us are aware that our thoughts can determine how we feel emotionally and even physically. Some of us have learned to use thoughts to our advantage so that we develop managerial skills toward ourselves manage ourselves and through problem solving and reframing, instead of simply complaining or moaning on about life- in the meantime we "think differently" to get by....sometimes, when we can change anything immediately.................................................. Has anyone gained experience in this area in any way? Has anyone noticed that our thoughts affect our moods? ............................The above quote that opens this is from a current article from today on Yahoo Shine about stress...so I thought why not bring this up here and see if members have comments or ideas to share....
Our thoughts definitely affect our mood. My former spouse was a pessimist and most of the time in a fowl mood. I am an optimist (to a fault) and don't really know how to be in a bad mood. For example, he always "hated' his job; I always "loved' my job. His response was that since I always loved my job it must not be a "real" job and that i should get a "real" job. HE insisted that since he hated his job he had a "real" job and that since I loved my job I didn't have a "real' job eyepopping scratchchin. He didn't understand that it wasn't about the job, it was that he "thought" he couldn't enjoy his job, therefore he was miserable at the job. This was probably a learned experience of his from childhood. His father would always say how much he hated his job as a mechanic in the military, but he never quit because he had no other way to support a nonworking wife and 4 kids. SO, my former spouse learned that in order for a job to be "real" you have to hate it. He equated "job" with "dislike". I had the opposite experience. My father loved his job. I equate "job" with "like", no matter what the job.

His negative attitudes towards his job affected his employer and his family to a great extent, as well as his physical and emotional well being. He suffers from a multitude of physical ailments, as well as mental/emotional disabilities as a result of his negative thoughts. It is all about mind over matter; just look to the saints that suffered persecution.
Jun 28th 2013 new
Joan, Thank you for posting and sharing! You gave great examples of this problem or dilemma that many of us face. It is nearly impossible to live with a pessimist. I once dated an optimistic man and really loved that quality in him! I also dated a cynical depressed man and that is a dangerous poison. I hope and pray to meet an optimistic man.
Jun 28th 2013 new
The last time i asked myself this question.. the answer came back "pretty darn good"! wink
plus it doesn't hurt that our saying in the Marines was "mind over matter".. if you don't Mind.. it doesn't Matter!
biggrin Praying
Jun 29th 2013 new
Who thinks?

At this stage of the game, I'm on autopilot half the time.
Jun 29th 2013 new
I agree you, Marge. I'm working to improve my outlook and negative thinking and it's very hard work. But, I seem to have turned a corner. When I find myself thinking negatively, I repeat the phrase "Jesus I trust in you". It has helped me immensely to let go of the negative and catastrophe thinking I've had in the past.
Jun 29th 2013 new
(quote) Jan-805954 said: I agree you, Marge. I'm working to improve my outlook and negative thinking and it's very hard work. But, I seem to have turned a corner. When I find myself thinking negatively, I repeat the phrase "Jesus I trust in you". It has helped me immensely to let go of the negative and catastrophe thinking I've had in the past.
Good for you Jan. I think that that phrase is meant to address what we need to think and pray in these times that we live in.
Jun 29th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: The last time i asked myself this question.. the answer came back "pretty darn good"!
plus it doesn't hurt that our saying in the Marines was "mind over matter".. if you don't Mind.. it doesn't Matter!
Thank you for sharing Dave. I am happy to learn that phrase and thinking slogan from the Marines through your post.
Jun 29th 2013 new
It is easier to think negative thoughts than to be positive. There are so many negatives coming at us everyday. And it could easily get anyone down. We do need to constantly ask Jesus to help keep us positive. I too say every chance I get "Jesus I trust in you". I remind myself that He is with me and will protect me no matter how the wolves try to "get" us out there. When I go into a situation that is stressful or cruel, I say to Jesus, "please wash Your blood and Spirit over me and be with me". I won't let them take my joy away from me. And it works every time. "Kill 'em with kindness" it can do amazing things, to the attitudes of others. wink
Posts 1 - 10 of 38