Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 30th 2013 new

Yes, America is in simmering water right now, many of us floating in a tranquil stupor....sort of like the boiling frog story:

If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly. As the water gradually heats up, the frog will sink into a tranquil stupor, exactly like one of us in a hot bath, and before long, with a smile on its face, it will unresistingly allow itself to be boiled to death.

The boiling frog story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually. People should make themselves aware of gradual change lest they suffer eventual undesirable consequences. en.wikipedia.org
Jun 30th 2013 new
I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!!! YEP I SURE DID !! BECAUSE NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY THAT GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES !! BECAUSE WE CANNOT BLAME ONE MAN FOR THE SINS OF A NATION ! BECAUSE WE ARE CALLED BY GOD TO NOT BE SELF-RIGHTEOUS !! WE ARE CALLED TO ACCEPT THE IMMIGRANT, THE UNEMPLOYED, THE PRISONER, THE HUNGRY, SICK, AND WOUNDED AND WHILE DOING SO, WE MUST NOT JUDGE !!!

How many of you are on unemployment?
How many have Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Social Security, or any other governmental income or services ?

We do not elect a savior! We do not elect our religious leaders! Let us not confuse governmental oversight with religion! I voted for the party that I believe will do the most good for the marginalized people. The rest of us have options, they don't .
Jun 30th 2013 new
Christine,

I don't think most of us here could even begin to respond to your post.

Thank you for showing up, and I hope all is well in Texas.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Ever since Obama took office, I cannot help to feel like I cannot catch
my breathe trying to absorb all that is going on in our great nation.

Just having Obama win the election with a name like Hussein is not
typical in a Christian founded nation.

Next came all the Czars to assist the chief which is beyond bizarre.
In Russia maybe, but not in our country. Then on to funding Selantra
and that catastrophe because Obama loves his green companies.
So forget about the National Debt. It doesn't matter. Just give
money to your endless causes and take from future Americans.

But the hardest changes were in Obamacare and having the Government
take over our medical supervision, then the Abortion changes, and on to
all these homosexuals marching in the streets and getting laws changed
by the highest court of our country. All of these changes were
immoral. Yes, immoral.

I think the trend developing, and the most serious one of all, is that the
Government is NOT abiding by laws that are on the books. All of this
noncompliance makes for a lawless society and in the long run, takes
away the rights of those who do abide by the laws. Do you like
watching persons breaking laws that will get you prosecuted
if you don't abide by them? It seems to me that a rebellion will be
brewing by this kind of double standard. And maybe that is
what those that undermine our laws and our country are trying
to accomplish. Hannity spoke about plenty of these double
standards on his show.

All this brings us to making another 11 million illegal persons in
America, citizens. Of course, forget about border security. Even
if the 'Gang of 8' puts billions into funding border patrols, we all
know that they are not able to perform their jobs anymore because
of the orders handed down by Homeland security and Janet
Napolitano. The Border Patrol Agents are symbolically declawed
and virtually useless in trying to accomplish their jobs. They are
actually sueing the Government because of this.

Somehow the word must have gotten out to "Come to America and
take from its citizens what Generations of Americans worked hard
to achieve." Never mind trying to fix their own countries like
America did with bloodshed and determination of its forefathers.
Just come and take it like predators because those liberal
lawmakers want to share all America's wealth with you. Yet,
they are drawing salaries and benefits that neither you nor
I will ever be entitled to receive.

These are some of the things that have escalated since Obama
took office. And these kinds of things are happening faster
and faster.

I bet each of you know what I have left out, so I hope you will
take the time and point them out.

Yes America is changing and going downhill at an alarming rate which seems to be picking up speed and even seems to be functioning according to some type of deadlines in someone elses mind.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Christine-960631 said: I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!!! YEP I SURE DID !! BECAUSE NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY THAT GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES !! BECAUSE WE CANNOT BLAME ONE MAN FOR THE SINS OF A NATION ! BECAUSE WE ARE CALLED BY GOD TO NOT BE SELF-RIGHTEOUS !! WE ARE CALLED TO ACCEPT THE IMMIGRANT, THE UNEMPLOYED, THE PRISONER, THE HUNGRY, SICK, AND WOUNDED AND WHILE DOING SO, WE MUST NOT JUDGE !!!

How many have Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Social Security, or any other governmental income or services ?

We do not elect a savior! We do not elect our religious leaders! Let us not confuse governmental oversight with religion! I voted for the party that I believe will do the most good for the marginalized people. The rest of us have options, they don't .
Part of what we must do as faithful Catholics is be obedient to our Church. When we are not, then we are in essence "protesting" the leadership (i.e. being a Protestant, someone who doesn't believe in or follow our Holy Church). It's not supposed to be about "Well, I think it's o.k. when" or "I think it's ok if" or "I think this issue is most important"

Here's a great summary of a few of the non-negotiable issues we were called to keep in the front of our decision making when voting last fall. Please take a look, it's an excellent summary:
www.ewtn.com

Sadly, you voted for a man who is AGAINST the three issues listed. Life, marriage & family, and authentic human freedom. sorry sad
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Part of what we must do as faithful Catholics is be obedient to our Church. When we are not, then we are in essence "protesting" the leadership (i.e. being a Protestant, someone who doesn't believe in or follow our Holy Church). It's not supposed to be about "Well, I think it's o.k. when" or "I think it's ok if" or "I think this issue is most important"

Here's a great summary of a few of the non-negotiable issues we were called to keep in the front of our decision making when voting last fall. Please take a look, it's an excellent summary:
http://www.ewtn.com/voting.asp

Sadly, you voted for a man who is AGAINST the three issues listed. Life, marriage & family, and authentic human freedom.
Our Church teaches us to prayerfully discern who & what to vote for or against. I don't take my voting orders from EWTN. I have lived with, cared for, prayed with sinners of all types. I have known people damaged by OUR Church's sins against children, men, and women.
"For the children in broken homes, let us pray to the Lord". How I wanted to speak out!
"For the wife beater and child terrorizer, hiding under his pious shell, let us pray to the Lord."
Some folks pass judgement faster than gas!

Some speak opinions without experience.
C'mon down in the trenches! There is room for you. But you may need to shed the security of gloves and masks. Your fingers might get dirty, and your very soul cry out for the grace to remain the steadfast presence of God to a woman whose drug habit has killed her baby (from neglect & malnutrition). Because she is a mother, like Mary, and her child is gone.

(Sorry so much of my first comment was in caps.I forgot that it means that I was screaming. )
I will leave you all alone now. But every now and then I get frustrated with folks who see life in black or white. LIFE by its very nature is a million beautiful shades of gray and we are given the gift from God to make choices. Hopefully we place, God and the needs of other people, ahead of our own.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said:
Yes, America is in simmering water right now, many of us floating in a tranquil stupor....sort of like the boiling frog story:

If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly. As the water gradually heats up, the frog will sink into a tranquil stupor, exactly like one of us in a hot bath, and before long, with a smile on its face, it will unresistingly allow itself to be boiled to death.

The boiling frog story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually. People should make themselves aware of gradual change lest they suffer eventual undesirable consequences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
Wendy, your analogy is right on target. That is what seems to be how
all of this liberalism took hold, and now it is happening at a dizzying
speed.

That frog analogy is such a good one.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Christine-960631 said: I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!!! YEP I SURE DID !! BECAUSE NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY THAT GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES !! BECAUSE WE CANNOT BLAME ONE MAN FOR THE SINS OF A NATION ! BECAUSE WE ARE CALLED BY GOD TO NOT BE SELF-RIGHTEOUS !! WE ARE CALLED TO ACCEPT THE IMMIGRANT, THE UNEMPLOYED, THE PRISONER, THE HUNGRY, SICK, AND WOUNDED AND WHILE DOING SO, WE MUST NOT JUDGE !!!

Christine:

I just don't understand how you or Obama or anyone can disregard all
prudence when it comes to the alarming amount of overspending by
our government all in the name of helping the marginalized or the
illegals.

We are all responsible for ourselves and our family and our children and
our nation first. If we let them go by the wayside, what good are we doing?
Taking care of our obligations first is prudent. But giving away what
belongs to your family and your children's future is neither prudent nor
charitable. It is irresponsible and chicanery. And America is giving
away what belongs to every American citizen and then some by
way of the National Debt.

Have you no concept how America's assets are being given away at
alarming rates? Generations of workers diligently gave part of their
hard-earned money into funds or a trust which is
called social security or Medicare. They did this so they would be able
to survive when they got old and when they got sick. Taking that
earmarked money contributed by hard-working Americans and
doling it out to those who are not entitled to it is plain and simply
called stealing. Yes, stealing.

America is responsible for its citizens first. Anyone can contribute
to any charity that takes care of noncitizens in their own country or
in this country. That is charity. Our Government is not a charity.
It was founded for the good of its citizens. It has a fiduciary
responsibility to Americans, not to anyone else but Americans.

What is going on with our Government today is immoral. The
Government is cheating American Citizens. How can you not
understand this. They are even cheating our grandchildren by
spending money that America does not have. This is insane.

I don't think you or any other person who voted for Obama
would run their household like the Government is running
our country. Where is common sense? I have no idea
how anyone can go along with this, except for anyone with
the idea of watching America be ruined.

That is what all those who voted for Obama have on their
agenda--the ruination of America from both a moral
objective and a financial one. Why would any
American do this to their country?

Jun 30th 2013 new
Marianne, Without a doubt, for some time now America has been on the path to utter destruction. However, this can also be said about the rest of the countries as well. I don't know if Obama is the chief culprit but he has certainly not proven himself to be a leader. He's in Africa now promising the Africans a phenomenal amount of money. Where does he think this money would come from? Our country is up to our eye balls in debt. Perhaps Obama has a money tree growing in his back yard at the White House next to the vegetable patch his wife planted. Yes, Obamacare is another disaster, another faux pas. Keep in mind that a large percentage of our so called Catholics put Obama where he is today. My conscience is clear. Yes, I am one of the Catholics who didn't particularly care for Romney but I voted for him because it was a vote against Obama. I often wonder what it would be like if Romney got elected. The only recourse we have is to pray Big Time to God, without His help we will descend further down the cesspool until we reach our destination of doom Marianne, did anyone ever tell you that you resemble John Kerry's wife?
Jun 30th 2013 new
I cannot take exception to the above responses with one being more idealogue than reality.

What I can say is that today I was invited to the investiture of a new pastor in the Johnson Temple Church of God in Christ. Yes it is a Black Church and of 200 people I was the only white person. The service started at 4 and lasted till 8:15. Lots of singing, standing, waiving of arms and the good old southern preacher doing his best to direct all to extacy. I rather enjoyed the event and did my best to join in the activities.

Now, the interesting thing is that a Bishop gave a speach telling all that Obama is not a friend of the Black community. He went on about 10 minutes decrying all the things you identify above. I was to say the least surprised. My observation is that most all agreed with him. That means that Obama is loosing his grip on much of my local community.

I hope that some intelligent thinking is beginning to emerge and that the horrors of this administrastion will cease. And soon.

Posts 11 - 20 of 164