Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 29th 2013 new
I agree with Pedyne. I didn't even know exactly what happend to bring all of this out until some people at work started asking me what I thought.
I have always loved watching Paula Deen & was another excited tourist in Savannah a few years ago, have a cap with her name on it. I think she is a riot to watch & much loved & respected by her fellow cooks & chefs.
What ever she said 20 years ago, or whenever, should not be such an issue today. It's done, she has apologized, so move on to the real issues in our country! The media is having a field day-I personally feel like yelling every time they REPLAY her pleading for forgiveness on the Matt Lauer interview.
My advice to Paula would be to take your money, which we all know she has plenty of, and retire down there with your cute hubby Michael and enjoy the rest of your lives. So what if the network dropped you, the stores don't want to sell your products. I am sure your restaurants & gift shops will continue to make you money-You don't need the rest of them.
Having lost my husband 6 years ago, I learned, as many of you have, that life is too short. Enjoy what you have and the heck with the rest of them!
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Pedyne-248823 said:
1. If she said this more than 20 years why all this fuss? It is true, many people were raised in ignorance but once you reach adulthood you own your actions. We should put things in perspective. Why is she basically being crucified for something she said 20+ years ago? This was not said 1 day ago, 1 week ago or even 1 year ago. I'm sad for her and wish her well. Is the media giving the people a "new toy"...focusing them elsewhere so that they do not ponder the IRS mess and ALL the other messes we are facing,

My feelings exactly!!! Seems the media is very skilled at bringing to front a "new toy" quite regularly, no? And how sad to see how many Americans are so easily distracted by the next new toy. sorry
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Wikipedia is wrong. Although the majority of Italians interred during WWII were not citizens a very large number of them were. A total of over 10,000 Italian-Amercians were interred.

Many of them were prominent in the Italian-American community and there were many families among them. Non were ever given the opportunity to serve in the Armed forces as the Japanese were.

An aside, the Japanese-American Battalion serving in the European theater was the most decorated unit in the War. Not just the unit, which receiver\d many unit citations, but individual members of unit received many awards for thei valor. So many, in fact, that per capita more medals were awarded than in any other military unit.

The whole handling of the Japanese, Germans and Italians is a horrendous blot on our history. And the reasons behind it are far more convoluted than the current mea culpa rewrite of history that has become the "official" story.

There was real concern that all three populations were rife with traitors and subversives. In the case of the Japanese there was also an underlying racism, having nothing to do with the war exacerbated by the treachery of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. As a result there was a real fear that the Japanese-Americans would be in danger from their fellow Americans. The whole story is even more complicated than that. However, the only part of the story allowed to officially circulate today, is that we did a bad thing all racial based.

An interesting side note, when I lived on Bainbridge Island, WA, the site where the first Japanese- Americans were rounded up and shipped off, I lived down the street from what had been, prior to the War, the home of Japanese Council in Seattle. His home was right on the waters of Rich Passage which was the main route of US Naval vessels from the Bremerton Navy Yards and Navy installations in and around Puget Sound. When he was interred before being repatriated to Japan as all diplomats are at the beginning of war, when the home was entered by the authorities it waqs found to contained a sophisticated (for the time) set up to monitor and photograph the movement of Naval units with radio capability allowing for the transmittal of data and photographs.
That was a very interesting post, Paul. I especially liked the last paragraph
about the spy equipment in the home of the Japanese Council. That will
never be included in the 'take away' about the Japanese interment.

Because rewritten history leaves so much out, I am very glad this post
got started. I have learned a lot, especially from everyone's personal
experiences that one cannot read in books.

So you are saying that in the case of the Italians, not all were non-USA
citizens as it says in Wikipedia? It would not surprise me if they were
wrong in Wikipedia. I wish you would correct it since you seem to know
it as a fact.

Anyway, thank you for posting all this information.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Phyllis-558835 said: I agree with Pedyne. I didn't even know exactly what happend to bring all of this out until some people at work started asking me what I thought.
I have always loved watching Paula Deen & was another excited tourist in Savannah a few years ago, have a cap with her name on it. I think she is a riot to watch & much loved & respected by her fellow cooks & chefs.
What ever she said 20 years ago, or whenever, should not be such an issue today. It's done, she has apologized, so move on to the real issues in our country! The media is having a field day-I personally feel like yelling every time they REPLAY her pleading for forgiveness on the Matt Lauer interview.
My advice to Paula would be to take your money, which we all know she has plenty of, and retire down there with your cute hubby Michael and enjoy the rest of your lives. So what if the network dropped you, the stores don't want to sell your products. I am sure your restaurants & gift shops will continue to make you money-You don't need the rest of them.
Having lost my husband 6 years ago, I learned, as many of you have, that life is too short. Enjoy what you have and the heck with the rest of them!
Such good advise, Phyllis. We should all adhere to it.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Concerning the Italians.... The Wikipedia source that you cited explains quite thoroughly the difference between the treatment of those of Italian and Japanese desent... it this way:

All of the interred Italians were in fact not U.S. citizens at the time that war broke out. By contrast, approximately 60% of Japanese were U.S. citizens. The remaining 40% were residents, visiting foreign students, diplomats, foreign sailors and Japanese in the process of becoming (but not yet) citizens. If someone were in fact a Japanse citizen, Italian citizen, German citizen (and perhaps others) in the U.S. at the time that war broke out, it seems quite resonable to me to either deport them immediately or inter them (except perhaps for those already seeking citizenship). 60% of the those of Japanese decent were in fact just as much of a U.S. citizen and you or me.

I am German on both sides of my family, but 6th or 7th generation U.S. citizen (having arrived in the U.S. about 1855. Below is some information that I found about internment of those of German decent during WWII. Apparently about 11,000 were interred, a small number of them were U.S. citizens. By contast, approximately 110,000 Japanese (and 60% U.S. citizens) were interred. Apparently because of the very large population of German-Americans in the U.S. at that time, the situation (for them) was handled quite differently (apparently on a very limited, case-by-case basis). I imagine that there were many millions of German-American U.S. citizens at that time.

Ed

---------------------------
From your source:
"Italian American internment refers to the internmentof non-citizen Italians in the United States during World War II. Unlike the Japanese Americans who were interned during the war, they have never received reparations.[1] However, unlike Japanese-Americans, who were rounded up whether citizens or not, only non-citizen Italians were rounded up.[2] In 2010, the California Legislature passed a resolution apologizing for the mistreatment of Italian residents.[3]"

"Indeed, both foreign-born and native-born Japanese Americans and both citizens and non-citizens were interned, though the majority (about 60 percent) were in fact native-born U.S. citizens.[9][10][11]Italian Americans interned under the War Relocation Authority were not arrested under the Enemy Alien Act, but were simply "persons" removed under the War Relocation Authority."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian-American_internment
------------------------------------

German internment during WWII
"At the start of World War II, under the authority of the Alien Enemies Act of 1798, the United States government detained and interned over 11,000 German enemy aliens, as well as a small number of German-American citizens, either naturalized or native-born. Their ranks included immigrants to the U.S. as well as visitors stranded in the U.S. by hostilities. In many cases, the families of the internees were allowed to remain together at internment camps in the U.S. In other cases, families were separated. Limited due process was allowed for those arrested and detained."

"The population of German citizens in the United States not to mention American citizens of German birth was far too large for a general policy of internment comparable to that used in the case of the Japanese in America.[23] Instead, German citizens were detained and evicted from coastal areas on an individual basis. The War Department considered mass expulsions from coastal areas for reasons of military security, but never executed such plans.[24]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American_internment

------------------------------------------------

Ed,

I can see that you have a soft spot in your heart for what happened to the
Japanese during the war. I can understand that and I applaud you.
That is called empathy and is a special trait.

I find it astonishing that the story of the Japanese in interment camps in
America trumps the rest of the story of the millions of people from
all over the world who gave their lives and/or their time or who were
forever changed by their involvement fighting a war. They did not
just give up their property or their ability to be free for a certain
amount of time.

And what about the Jews who were interred and then murdered. They
did not start a war or were not declared enemies of any nation. People
today have practically forgotten about the holocaust while others
even deny that it ever existed. But mention the American Indian or
the Japanese or slaves and America and Americans are forever
condemned for their cruelty and their insensitivity

As you mentioned, other nationalities were interred. And those unnamed
others are forgotten in history because they are not included in the
rewritten history--the history with an agenda so to speak. Therefore, that
makes the story unfair and unbalanced. That was my point.

As I said, it is a very touching story about the Japanese, and it has
really touched your heart.

Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Such good advise, Phyllis. We should all adhere to it.
I have given up pretty much on the food network and I honestly belueve that next Nextwork Star Competition is bogus anyway so I don't watch it anymore.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I have given up pretty much on the food network and I honestly belueve that next Nextwork Star Competition is bogus anyway so I don't watch it anymore.
You might have a good point about it being bogus.

You can learn some good cooking techniques and cooking styles
by watching the food network. Some people enjoy watching. I
do occasionally watch it.
Jun 30th 2013 new
Marian, Yes, indeed ! you are correct. We Slavic people endured big time abuse in Europe as well as America. What did we do? We did what Jesus did? We endured it and we moved on. Never expressing any form of retaliation directed to those responsible. The Polish people were part of the Jamestown establishment and Pann Maria in Texas. The Poles ALWAYS were there to protect and defend America. They never said, no. History books in our schools need to be revised to tell it as it was, not as someone would want it to be. No one points out that the 6 million Jews killed in the holocaust is erroneous simply because that figure included millions of Poles, Ukrainians and other Slavic groups. We Slavs are a proud, hard-working, loyal, faith-filled people. Maryjane
Jun 30th 2013 new
Elizabeth, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" Once again, the media has gone over the edge. Let's bring out the cross and nail Paula Deen to the cross. Remarks that she may or may not have said over 30 years ago has brought about such an upheaval. We are all guilty of inappropriate remarks of one kind or another. Let's not be so self-righteous. The woman has apologized over and over again, let's move on. I think it's a plot to bring her down. Jealousy is a terrible thing. They tried to bring Martha Stewart down too, look how that turned out.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Ed,

I can see that you have a soft spot in your heart for what happened to the
Japanese during the war. I can understand that and I applaud you.
That is called empathy and is a special trait.

I find it astonishing that the story of the Japanese in interment camps in
forever changed by their involvement fighting a war. They did not
just give up their property or their ability to be free for a certain
amount of time.

And what about the Jews who were interred and then murdered. They
did not start a war or were not declared enemies of any nation. People
today have practically forgotten about the holocaust while others
even deny that it ever existed. But mention the American Indian or
the Japanese or slaves and America and Americans are forever
condemned for their cruelty and their insensitivity

As you mentioned, other nationalities were interred. And those unnamed
others are forgotten in history because they are not included in the
rewritten history--the history with an agenda so to speak. Therefore, that
makes the story unfair and unbalanced. That was my point.

As I said, it is a very touching story about the Japanese, and it has
really touched your heart.

Marianne,

Please don't patronize me.... or suggest that I have some sort of soft spot for one group over another... or some "special trait" of empathy toward a certain group. That is quite a pathetic comment, based on nothing that I have written.... but on your thoughts alone. Don't read things into my comments that don't exist.

I did not say that the "story of the Japanese in interment camps in
forever changed by their involvement fighting a war."
I said no such thing. Those are your riduculous words and comments.... not mine.

You were the one that mentioned the Japanese to begin with in this thead.... In a thread that was about Paula Deen, no less. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was responding to your comments about the Japanese-Americans because you mentioned it in the first place.... and you seemed very lacking on information about that particular group. Must I respond (to meet your satisfaction) by noting every single other group of people that has been discriminated against, or rounded up and killed, gassed, burned, tortured, etc. in the world over the last few hundred years? Good grief.

Ed

Posts 31 - 40 of 54