Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I woke up one day,last June.When I got out of bed,I felt the pain that mimics a leg cramp.Although I tried to walk it off, the sensation would not cease(the level seemed to fall,but the agony was present for days).
I decided to visit a doctor.He examined me and gave me a prescription for an ultrasound.The test revealed the presence of a DVT(Deep Vein Thrombosis,or a blood clot in the leg).I spent a week in the hospital.
One of the main differences between a leg cramp and a DVT,is that you usually "feel" the muscles knot,when you get a cramp.The DVT takes you by surprise.
DVT causes:
Smoking(the leading cause of all blood clots)
Being confined in tight spaces too long.
Lying in bed too long or not changing position.
Heavy ingestion of vitamin K(found in green leafy vegetables,green tea,etc).
Lack of an exercise routine(mainly walking).
I'm sure that you could find more.

IF YOU THINK THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE A DVT,LIMIT YOUR WALKING AND HEAD TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.THE WORST FEAR IS THAT THE CLOT COULD BREAK OFF AND MOVE THROUGHOUT THE BODY.

Jun 29th 2013 new
Gerard,
Glad that you are okay after having a DVT. I had one a few years ago, too and it caught me by surprise. It did not feel like a muscle cramp, but the soreness that you can have after a muscle cramp. I had it for several weeks before I saw the doctor. I was blessed to only have a small pulmonary embolism as a result and not a heart attack or stroke. I thought I was being a hypochondriac when I went to my doctor, because the pain was very mild. I had been watching it to see if the pain got worse, my leg had swollen or gotten reddened. None of which happened, but I still had a clot. Turns out I have some genetic factors that make me more prone to develop a clot.
Do you have to take medication to prevent another one?
Jun 29th 2013 new
My best friend died in 2009 of DVT. Complete shock. Age 52. I will miss him all my life.
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Virginia-851921 said: Gerard,
Glad that you are okay after having a DVT. I had one a few years ago, too and it caught me by surprise. It did not feel like a muscle cramp, but the soreness that you can have after a muscle cramp. I had it for several weeks before I saw the doctor. I was blessed to only have a small pulmonary embolism as a result and not a heart attack or stroke. I thought I was being a hypochondriac when I went to my doctor, because the pain was very mild. I had been watching it to see if the pain got worse, my leg had swollen or gotten reddened. None of which happened, but I still had a clot. Turns out I have some genetic factors that make me more prone to develop a clot.
Do you have to take medication to prevent another one?
Virginia,

Thank you for the response and giving us genetics,as another factor..Your pain level was mild;mine was rather strong(we often delay getting medical attention,when we think the pain will eventually cease).
I take medication daily,but the dosage varies.When I go for blood tests,the results will vary...(it's tough to stay in
the 2.0 - 3.0 range).
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Robert-803886 said: My best friend died in 2009 of DVT. Complete shock. Age 52. I will miss him all my life.
Robert,

I'm sorry to hear that.May he rest in peace,
Posts 1 - 5 of 5