Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 01 new
Paul,

That was an interesting post. Thanks for the information.

This would not be the first time... or probably the last that Wikipedia was not accurate. It is always a challenge digging up accurate and complete information many years after an event.... especially when certain people or groups have an interest in "creative or modified presentation" of the event.

I can certainly see why it would be a priority to quickly locate and perhaps confine or deport anyone who is a citizen of an enemy country during time of war. That just seems prudent. I suspect that something similar was done to U.S. citizens that happened to be in Germany, Japan or Italy when WWII broke out.... although I don't have any particular knowledge or research (at this time) to confirm whether it happened. I also suspect that there were some citizens of Japan, Germany and Italy (and perhaps others) that were actively spying for those counties while living in the U.S. It seems to me that it would be pratically inevitable.

I suppose that life was a whole lot different in the Seattle area (in regards to concerns about spies and traitors) than where my parents were living near Pullman, WA. Pullman is about 400 miles (or so) inland from the coast. Also, being largely farmland during WWII, the population was probably largely composed of people of German, Irish, perhaps Swiss ancestry as well as American Indians of various tribes.

Ed
Jul 01 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "If there is anyone out there that has never said something that they wish they could take back, please pick up that stone and throw it so hard that it kills me."
~ Paula Deen, Today Show this morning.
Scripted!
I have never heard someone cry to the point of sobbing and never shed one tear!
No bloodshot eyes even!
These "apologies" are so hypocritical and insulting to the viewers.

Jul 01 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Paul,

That was an interesting post. Thanks for the information.

This would not be the first time... or probably the last that Wikipedia was not accurate. It is always a challenge digging up accurate and complete information many years after an event.... especially when certain people or groups have an interest in "creative or modified presentation" of the event.

I can certainly see why it would be a priority to quickly locate and perhaps confine or deport anyone who is a citizen of an enemy country during time of war. That just seems prudent. I suspect that something similar was done to U.S. citizens that happened to be in Germany, Japan or Italy when WWII broke out.... although I don't have any particular knowledge or research (at this time) to confirm whether it happened. I also suspect that there were some citizens of Japan, Germany and Italy (and perhaps others) that were actively spying for those counties while living in the U.S. It seems to me that it would be pratically inevitable.

I suppose that life was a whole lot different in the Seattle area (in regards to concerns about spies and traitors) than where my parents were living near Pullman, WA. Pullman is about 400 miles (or so) inland from the coast. Also, being largely farmland during WWII, the population was probably largely composed of people of German, Irish, perhaps Swiss ancestry as well as American Indians of various tribes.

Ed
I will throw out one other very interesting fact about the internment of the American-Japanese.

As you noted, it was the Japanese families on the West Coast who were affected. Those located elsewhere were not interned. But the most interesting fact of all is that not a single Japanese whether citizen or not, except for Japanese Government Officials, resident of the Hawaiian Islands and living there at the time, was interred.

Lisa Scottoline, the lawyer and mystery writer, had an abbreviated history of the Interning of Italian Americans in WWII in her book published a few years ago. Sorry the title of the book escapes me.

One of the internees was a well known Italian Radio personality here in the US. In those days most major cities in the US had at least one radio station, Chicago had two as I remember, Whose programming was aimed at various National Groups in their native language. They would have several different nationalities in their daily line up.
Back to this Italian radio personality: he was not a US citizen, had not been in the country long enough to apply, but he was very anti Mussolini and Hitler. He was interred. His career destroyed. He never recovered his good name or his career.

You are correct that all the National Groups; German, Italian and Japanese did have spies within them. Most were rounded up very quickly after hostilities began. However, not one spy group from any of those three nations operated successfully for any more than a short period of time. The only nations whose spies operated successfully throughout the war were Russia's. But that was as much the result of native born Americans who were fervent members of the Communist Party than anything else.
Jul 01 new
(quote) Maryjane-408997 said: Elizabeth, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" Once again, the media has gone over the edge. Let's bring out the cross and nail Paula Deen to the cross. Remarks that she may or may not have said over 30 years ago has brought about such an upheaval. We are all guilty of inappropriate remarks of one kind or another. Let's not be so self-righteous. The woman has apologized over and over again, let's move on. I think it's a plot to bring her down. Jealousy is a terrible thing. They tried to bring Martha Stewart down too, look how that turned out.
I find it interesting that you brought up the word jealousy and the name Martha Stewart. I have no doubt that jealousy plays a big role in the Southern Bells circumstances.
Jul 01 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Marianne,

Please don't patronize me.... or suggest that I have some sort of soft spot for one group over another... or some "special trait" of empathy toward a certain group. That is quite a pathetic comment, based on nothing that I have written.... but on your thoughts alone. Don't read things into my comments that don't exist.

I did not say that the "story of the Japanese in interment camps in
America trumps the rest of the story of the millions of people from
all over the world who gave their lives and/or their time or who were
forever changed by their involvement fighting a war."
I said no such thing. Those are your riduculous words and comments.... not mine.

You were the one that mentioned the Japanese to begin with in this thead.... In a thread that was about Paula Deen, no less. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was responding to your comments about the Japanese-Americans because you mentioned it in the first place.... and you seemed very lacking on information about that particular group. Must I respond (to meet your satisfaction) by noting every single other group of people that has been discriminated against, or rounded up and killed, gassed, burned, tortured, etc. in the world over the last few hundred years? Good grief.

Ed

No need to get your knickers in a knot, Ed.

Your long-winded diatribe would not be necessary if you at least just
once mentioned that the Japanese were part of a greater injustice
which happened in America during the war. That would have put
things into perspective.

And besides, I can look up Wikipedia just as easily as you can
reference it. Why would you go on "In a post about Paula Dean"
giving all the details of the Japanese interment during WW2 in
multiple references? Makes no sense to me.

Any given post would have to be taken at face value. I have no idea
why you would elaborate on about the Japanese during WW2, or
for that matter your family history if you did not have a special interest
in that part of history. That is how it appeared to me.

No patronizing intended.

Jul 01 new
(quote) Julie-362086 said: Scripted!
I have never heard someone cry to the point of sobbing and never shed one tear!
No bloodshot eyes even!
These "apologies" are so hypocritical and insulting to the viewers.

The politically correct abandon ship response from Deen's sponsors is a little scary. No one has a right to throw stones here. Prior to this controversy I didn't know much about her, but there are legions of public figures far more despicable still collecting paychecks. It happened a long time ago and she apologized. Lets go after the really bad guys out there.
Jul 01 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: No need to get your knickers in a knot, Ed.

Your long-winded diatribe would not be necessary if you at least just
once mentioned that the Japanese were part of a greater injustice
which happened in America during the war. That would have put
things into perspective.

And besides, I can look up Wikipedia just as easily as you can
reference it. Why would you go on "In a post about Paula Dean"
giving all the details of the Japanese interment during WW2 in
multiple references? Makes no sense to me.

Any given post would have to be taken at face value. I have no idea
why you would elaborate on about the Japanese during WW2, or
for that matter your family history if you did not have a special interest
in that part of history. That is how it appeared to me.

No patronizing intended.

Marianne,

I mentioned the Japanese because that was the one single group that you mentioned in the first place... and I have no idea why you noted that group in this thread.... Perhaps you know why you mentioned this group.

With all due respect, I am not going to feel obligated to mention every group of people that have been significantly wronged thoughout history, just so I can respond to one of your posts. It would be a list of hundreds or thousands of groups if we are going to be thorough. You later wondered why I did not mention the Jews or the "greater injustice" that happened. Well, that was not part of the discussion.... And if I mentioned the Jews that were killed without mentioning the Gypsies, Catholics, homosexuals, mentally/physically disabled and all others that died at the hands of the Nazis, then I would perhaps upset someone else. It would really be quite pointless.

Ed
Jul 05 new
I agree...I just detest these phony (my agent coached me how to look and sound really remorseful ) celebrity speeches designed to save face and secure their almighty mega $$$......
(Kobe Bryant...Tiger Woods...now Paula Deen)

Jul 06 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: The politically correct abandon ship response from Deen's sponsors is a little scary. No one has a right to throw stones here. Prior to this controversy I didn't know much about her, but there are legions of public figures far more despicable still collecting paychecks. It happened a long time ago and she apologized. Lets go after the really bad guys out there.
Like Walmart and Target who continue to profit from the sales of Hip Hop and Rap CDs, they have stocked their store shelves that contain the same words, degrade women of color and that are racists against whites, since they dropped Paula Deen. Maybe we should drop them for looking the other way, which they have been doing to a farrr greater degree than Paula Deen was alleged to having done instead of disciplining Bubba. Hey it's the same principle.
Jul 07 new
Celebrities and public figures are always making the news for something. The list of celebrities using, or being accused of using, racial slurs at one time or another is huge. Alec Baldwin, J-Lo, Charlie Sheen and the list goes on. After Charlie Sheen threw his tantrum directed at Chuck Lorre, including rants about him being Jewish, people paid big bucks to see his stand up routine. People are people. They will say things that are in their heart no matter how hard they try to bury them to preserve their image. Obama and Clinton both smoked pot, so why is it a big deal that Justin Bieber does?

It's all about the press. Report the news and let it go. Paula Dean's comment all those years ago is not something that needs a week or two worth of press. The press is there to make money, sell papers, get ratings. They take things out of context, blow things out of proportion, use unethical tactics, exaggerate details and even make things up if it will make a dime, but I digress.

She apologized, sincere or not, she apologized because it is what is expected of her. I am not saying forgive and forget, but what else can she do. She can not change the past she can only move on. There are two things that Americans enjoy. One is a star's fall off the Hollywood pedestal and the other is a come back story. Regardless of how outraged people are, Paula will make a come back and her fans will be there when she does. I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Posts 41 - 50 of 54