Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: Nathan,

I am really excited about your Favorite Things update. I tried to do a search and could only search by my favorite things. I would love to be able to search by their favorite things....not just what we may have in common.

You can do that from someone's profile by clicking on the favorite tag and clicking the link to start a search on this.

And the feature that I immediately tried to figure out how to do, but will take some additional work / data manipulation:  being able to do a search on ALL of my favorite things, and order by the number matched. It's hopefully being worked on soon.
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: That's quite intentional, but it may be more of a confusing thing than it's worth.

For years, the favorites list was limited to checking off a couple of check boxes - it was not able to be customizable at all. This was converted to the new Favorite Things. I put a threshold in of 10,000 users - if that many people have a tag, it probably was from the old system and has less weight because of how it was added.

If that seems to confusing, I can drop the threshold and just show all of them. I did do one thing slightly trixy though. The bold ones are in reverse order of the number of members who have the tag.

So what's everyone's thought on hiding the common tags? Too confusing? Just let it go?
In English please!! angel biggrin
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: You can do that from someone's profile by clicking on the favorite tag and clicking the link to start a search on this.

And the feature that I immediately tried to figure out how to do, but will take some additional work / data manipulation:  being able to do a search on ALL of my favorite things, and order by the number matched. It's hopefully being worked on soon.
Thanks Nathan!

It sounds as if we must find someone's profile with the "favorite" that we want to search for before we can search for it! For example, I would love to be able to search for Teaching as a favorite. I don't have it listed on my profile. ((Maybe I should, though.))
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: In English please!!
Okay, here goes. If 150,000 people (or 10,000 - that's where I drew the line) share a favorite thing, should I keep it from being shown as a matched Favorite Thing?

Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: That's quite intentional, but it may be more of a confusing thing than it's worth.

For years, the favorites list was limited to checking off a couple of check boxes - it was not able to be customizable at all. This was converted to the new Favorite Things. I put a threshold in of 10,000 users - if that many people have a tag, it probably was from the old system and has less weight because of how it was added.

If that seems to confusing, I can drop the threshold and just show all of them. I did do one thing slightly trixy though. The bold ones are in reverse order of the number of members who have the tag.

So what's everyone's thought on hiding the common tags? Too confusing? Just let it go?
Nathan,

Thanks for responding!

I understand the dilemma.

I'd lean towards highlighting them all.
1 - the fave item might be a BIG FAVE for a particular user
2 - Common faves are common for many reasons (E.g., CM's old fave scheme, a common Good, a popular Good, a desired Good, etc.)
3 - Most users won't appreciate the nuances you are trying to convey
4 - With Fave Matching, I find myself gravitating towards the most common expression of a fave activity in order to maximize fave overlap. (E.g., list "Sinatra" under Music as opposed to "Ol' Blue Eyes")

A lot of fave overlap, even if among just "too common" items, will still be perceived as a good thing.

If you want to be trixy, cross-ref the Fave against the "My Own Words" fields. If the Fave is mentioned in both places, it becomes a "Super Fave". If it is also a "Super Fave" for the other member, highlight it in the match/search list somehow, e.g., BLUE BOLD CAPS, whereas Faves that appear in only the Fave List are Blue Bold only.

Peace and blessings,

What is the Worst Case overlap? That is, how long is the list of matching Faves for the two people with the most overlap? 10, 20, 100 items? The only negatives I can imagine are (a) the compute cycles, and (b) a huge list that really messes up the block layout. (Maybe use a "more..." expansion tag then? Or just display the #count?)

I suspect people will perceive a long list of matching Faves as a Good Thing.

I also suspect they may not appreciate that what is currently displayed is a list of Less Common Faves.

Calculate the Percentage Fave Overlap. Two people with only 3 faves each, but exactly the same Faves would have 100% Overlap. Two other people with 10 Faves that match out of an overall list of 100 Faves would only have a 10% overlap. Members that load up their Faves List with too many items will see their Percent Fave Overlap numbers drop. Motivation to keep the Fave List short and focused?

Take a look and let me know how it feels.
Jul 1st 2013 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: Okay, I've commented out the bit that excludes the common tags.

Take a look and let me know how it feels.
cool thumbsup

I like it, but I'm only one vote.

Yes, sometimes the overlap runs to 10 or more items, but sometimes the overlap is still only 1 or 2 items. That conveys useful information to me.

This is a great feature, and one I have really hoped would come. I have found that by searching for people who like something such as "Lord of the Rings", the chances of finding girls with other similar interests are significantly increased! It takes a lot of the guess work out of the old system where you could have hundreds of results if you're doing a nationwide search.

Good job!
Posts 11 - 20 of 29