Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Today marks the 150th anniversary of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, PA. The battle was fought on July 1-3, 1863, and resulted in over 50,000 casualties. It was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. Let us remember these brave souls who fought and died there, and thank God for their wonderful sacrifices. They have helped make our country the great nation it is today. In the words of Abraham Lincoln, who 150 years ago entreated us to honor and remember the dead who fought there: "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced." May God bless these dear soldiers, and may they rest in peace. +
Jul 01 new
(quote) Jessica-951024 said: Today marks the 150th anniversary of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, PA. The battle was fought on July 1-3, 1863, and resulted in over 50,000 casualties. It was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. Let us remember these brave souls who fought and died there, and thank God for their wonderful sacrifices. They have helped make our country the great nation it is today. In the words of Abraham Lincoln, who 150 years ago entreated us to honor and remember the dead who fought there: "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced." May God bless these dear soldiers, and may they rest in peace. +
I am so glad that you posted this today, Jessica.

Firstly, some friends of mine and I were talking about the Battle of
Gettysburg this weekend. We were speaking about how many people
do not realize how brutal the Civil War was. We thought it was the worst
war America has ever been engaged in fighting--brother against brother
and father against son.

The second reason I am so glad you mentioned it is because many Americans
take for granted what we have in this country. We have what we have today
because many brave Americans who came before us gave their lives for
their beliefs. They never took anything for granted. They worked for all
of this freedom we have.

But today we have those people who just turn their backs on their homelands
because they want more than they could get at home. They piggyback
on our forefathers' efforts rather than try to make their countries better
like we had to do with our country.

I am not talking about those who flea to our country because of
political asylum. I am talking about those who come here and
reap the benefits meant for Americans. And I am speaking about
those in the Government who just give away what our forefathers
gave life and limb for. America is a country with its own citizens
and its own boundaries and its own assets. It is our own very
precious history.

So, these few days, with the anniversary of the most brutal war on
our shores, we should appreciate all that is our legacy, given to us
by the great sacrifices of many who are unknown to us.

God bless our great country. Long may she wave her flag. And long
may she be appreciated by her citizens.
Jul 01 new
Amen to that, Marianne!!!! So many people take our freedom for granted, and don't even know their history and the great struggles that our ancestors went through to make this nation what it is today. I have several family members that fought in the Civil War on both the Union and Confederate sides, and I want to honor their sacrifices as much as possible. I was supposed to be participating in the reenactment, but sadly, money is tight so we couldn't go. :( I'll do my best to commemorate in my heart. biggrin
Jul 01 new
To all

I spent a day at Gettysburg and I can still smell the cordite and hear the cries of the brave men that fought there. I shed copious tears that day as they came without my direction. I saw the smoke and saw the horrors that the conflict of war deposits upon the brave.

I have been a little sadden lately as the press have talked about the Greatest Generation and talk of Viet Nam. They talk about Desert Storm and Iraq and Afganistan. I was an Officer in Korea and in four years we lost more than 35000 men. My outfit alone sent 98 men home in boxes. Are we not honored and identified because it was called a Police Action and not a War? I can guarantee that when we are being shot at and loose so many , it is a War.

Pray that the end of any and all wars become but a memory in History.

God love all
Jul 01 new
(quote) Jessica-951024 said: Today marks the 150th anniversary of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, PA. The battle was fought on July 1-3, 1863, and resulted in over 50,000 casualties. It was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. Let us remember these brave souls who fought and died there, and thank God for their wonderful sacrifices. They have helped make our country the great nation it is today. In the words of Abraham Lincoln, who 150 years ago entreated us to honor and remember the dead who fought there: "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced." May God bless these dear soldiers, and may they rest in peace. +
Jessica:

As a member of a family who had forefathers fight on both sides, what do you
hear about the immediate families of those who fought? I would suspect that
information gets passed down from generation to generation.

Were they mad at those who fought on the opposing side? Or were they mad
at those from the opposing side who killed anyone on their side? It must be
a very mixed history in families when that happens.

Thank you for sharing all you have already shared. I have a lot of family in
Richmond and in Virginia and the Civil War still holds a prominent place in
their hearts.
Jul 02 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said: To all

I spent a day at Gettysburg and I can still smell the cordite and hear the cries of the brave men that fought there. I shed copious tears that day as they came without my direction. I saw the smoke and saw the horrors that the conflict of war deposits upon the brave.

I have been a little sadden lately as the press have talked about the Greatest Generation and talk of Viet Nam. They talk about Desert Storm and Iraq and Afganistan. I was an Officer in Korea and in four years we lost more than 35000 men. My outfit alone sent 98 men home in boxes. Are we not honored and identified because it was called a Police Action and not a War? I can guarantee that when we are being shot at and loose so many , it is a War.

God love all
Thank you for tour service and sacrifice.
Jul 02 new
Your service. I need to stop posting from my phone . Too many typos.
Jul 03 new
I had forgotten that the Battle at Vicksburg was already going on and
coincided with the Battle at Gettysburg during July, 1863.
Jul 04 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said: To all

God love all
Philip, I was a Navy photographer back in the sixties and seventies, and my service was like living in a country club compared to what you and countless others suffered through in that terrible war. Korea has been referred to as the forgotten war. Shame on us if we forget what you and your fellow soldiers valiantly gave for us all.

Perhaps someday we will heed President Eisenhower's warning about our military-industrial complex, now many times larger than then. It is the beast that needs continued war to feed it's insatiable appetite.

I will echo your prayer for the end of all wars.

Jul 04 new
The Old Republic died at Gettysburg, and the Empire was born. A dark day.
Posts 1 - 10 of 14