Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 06 new
(quote) Katherine-137883 said: Yes, American is going downhill at an alarming rate. I won't even debate that one. Which brings up the question I am searching the internet for (and maybe I should have started a new topic)-- As part of our moral and financial bankruptcy, I am wondering how likely the whole financial system will collapse and have been doing research but don't know who to believe. We have created the financial mess and we know God will let us destroy ourselves due to our continuous rejection of Him. So..... I am gathering financial data and trying to figure out if I should move everything into a fixed rate - which will be almost nothing at this time. I keep thinking if we self implode in the next year and I was so close to making a big financial move and I don't do it...... I will be sick to my stomach.

So for others who have determined the demise of America is inevitable - have you made any decisions financially?

I also wonder if increased instability in the Middle East is one more red flag. I suppose if Iran or North Korea fires off a nuclear bomb soon, the stock market might take something that qualifies as more than a bump down.
An answer is not easy without a lot more information.

Just a couple of thoughts. A fixed rate investment, other than a bank CD which is FDIC insured, is going to lose value when interest rates increase. If it is a long term instrument, you can see your principle erode by 10% for every 1 percentage point rise in rates. A more "Normal" interest rate on long term paper is around 6%. So potentially you could see a 50% lose of principal as rates move up to that bench mark.

Making matters worse, is that we face potential double digit inflation rates because the Fed has been printing money like there is no tomorrow, futilely trying to improve the economy. So in addition to a potential loss in principal you would be faced with reduced purchasing power for the money you would have left.

Despite the positive tone to current economic news, those positive numbers are masking a lot of very negative data. The supposed decrease in the unemployment rate is not the result of those rosy new jobs created data, but because so many people have stopped looking for work. We now have the highest non-participation in the labor force rate since the depression. Too large a percentage of the new jobs that have been created are, in reality, only part time jobs. Because of Obamacare the number of part time jobs will continue to increase as employers try to minimize the costs of providing health insurance to their employees. There is also less incentive for small employers to expand.

Europe is in a deep financial mess. How long Germany can continue to carry the rest of the Euro world is a big question mark.

The moronic economic policies being carried out both in Europe and here are the same policies that have kept Japan mired in a multi-decade deep recession.

We are told that both here and Europe are partly in trouble because of austerity caused by budget restraints. That, of course, is patent nonsense as both here and there, no Government has actually cut even a single penny is their out of control expenditures. And the budget pushers are all due to social justice program costs.

The only good news in this whole picture is the fact that, believe it or not, inflationn is good for stocks. Unfortunately, that will come, with a lot of volatility that will provide a lot of sleepless nights to anyone invested in the market that has not achieved the ability to ignore the wild fluctuations. So either invest in quality no-load mutual or ETF funds. Investing in individual stocks is always risky, but if one must, look for high quality companies paying decent, but not excessive, dividends.

As an aside, there are a lot of quality companies which pay dividends of between 3 and 6%.

The old saw still works. If you are under 50, you should be heavily in stock, buy and hold works. For older folks it all depends on just how much you are worth and your ability to handle risk without loss of sleep.

Jul 06 new

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill.

Jul 06 new
Thanks for the info here, but I still don't know what to do with my stocks/bonds/savings? The only person making money on my money is my bank. I'm afraid the all American dollar invested or not will be worth nothing so it probably doesn't matter where you put it, but I'm sure Obama has an idea for US, ugh.

OK, I'm going to my Happy Thoughts.
Jul 06 new
(quote) Christine-960631 said: I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!!! YEP I SURE DID !! BECAUSE NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY THAT GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES !! BECAUSE WE CANNOT BLAME ONE MAN FOR THE SINS OF A NATION ! BECAUSE WE ARE CALLED BY GOD TO NOT BE SELF-RIGHTEOUS !! WE ARE CALLED TO ACCEPT THE IMMIGRANT, THE UNEMPLOYED, THE PRISONER, THE HUNGRY, SICK, AND WOUNDED AND WHILE DOING SO, WE MUST NOT JUDGE !!!

How many of you are on unemployment?
How many have Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Social Security, or any other governmental income or services ?

We do not elect a savior! We do not elect our religious leaders! Let us not confuse governmental oversight with religion! I voted for the party that I believe will do the most good for the marginalized people. The rest of us have options, they don't .
Sorry to hear that you voted for Obama; I think youre in a minority in Texas.

When I was unemployed in the 80's when the machine tool industry went out of business, I relocated from Cleveland to Cincinnati...there wasn't unemployment extension benefits. I have no pity for those on unemployment, especially the younger and healthier ones who can get a job.

Right, we didn't elect a savior but it seems like we elected Satan instead, when his actions are immoral and against what the majority of Americans believe in.

The sequestration led to spending cuts that has hurt hard working Americans but has not hurt the ones working for the Federal government which seems like wellfare. Because of the large number of employees that work for the government, you could say that he bought his re-election. Instead of cutting back Federal workers, he offers them early retirement with no penalties. For example, I know someone who has worked for the government for 30 years and is 50 years old. She can retire now and get the same retirement benefits as she would if she was 60 years old with 30 years of experience. No where in the private industry do you get those benefits....you don't hear about that in the media, because it would confirm what an idiot Obama is.
Jul 06 new
Marianne, I think your posts have all had great points, but I have to disagree on this one. Osama bin laden is closer than Hussein:( Osama for the black boob and Bin Laden for the white boob in office!

Jul 06 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: An answer is not easy without a lot more information.

Just a couple of thoughts. A fixed rate investment, other than a bank CD which is FDIC insured, is going to lose value when interest rates increase. If it is a long term instrument, you can see your principle erode by 10% for every 1 percentage point rise in rates. A more "Normal" interest rate on long term paper is around 6%. So potentially you could see a 50% lose of principal as rates move up to that bench mark.

Making matters worse, is that we face potential double digit inflation rates because the Fed has been printing money like there is no tomorrow, futilely trying to improve the economy. So in addition to a potential loss in principal you would be faced with reduced purchasing power for the money you would have left.

Despite the positive tone to current economic news, those positive numbers are masking a lot of very negative data. The supposed decrease in the unemployment rate is not the result of those rosy new jobs created data, but because so many people have stopped looking for work. We now have the highest non-participation in the labor force rate since the depression. Too large a percentage of the new jobs that have been created are, in reality, only part time jobs. Because of Obamacare the number of part time jobs will continue to increase as employers try to minimize the costs of providing health insurance to their employees. There is also less incentive for small employers to expand.

Europe is in a deep financial mess. How long Germany can continue to carry the rest of the Euro world is a big question mark.

The moronic economic policies being carried out both in Europe and here are the same policies that have kept Japan mired in a multi-decade deep recession.

We are told that both here and Europe are partly in trouble because of austerity caused by budget restraints. That, of course, is patent nonsense as both here and there, no Government has actually cut even a single penny is their out of control expenditures. And the budget pushers are all due to social justice program costs.

The only good news in this whole picture is the fact that, believe it or not, inflationn is good for stocks. Unfortunately, that will come, with a lot of volatility that will provide a lot of sleepless nights to anyone invested in the market that has not achieved the ability to ignore the wild fluctuations. So either invest in quality no-load mutual or ETF funds. Investing in individual stocks is always risky, but if one must, look for high quality companies paying decent, but not excessive, dividends.

As an aside, there are a lot of quality companies which pay dividends of between 3 and 6%.

The old saw still works. If you are under 50, you should be heavily in stock, buy and hold works. For older folks it all depends on just how much you are worth and your ability to handle risk without loss of sleep.

An excellent summary of things happening, as only a professional like yourself
could give. Thank you, Paul.
Jul 06 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: Marianne, I think your posts have all had great points, but I have to disagree on this one. Osama bin laden is closer than Hussein:( Osama for the black boob and Bin Laden for the white boob in office!

Cathy:

I am always open for suggestions and to learn and change my mind.

I think you have convinced me.

Thank you.

Marianne
Jul 06 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: Sorry to hear that you voted for Obama; I think youre in a minority in Texas.

When I was unemployed in the 80's when the machine tool industry went out of business, I relocated from Cleveland to Cincinnati...there wasn't unemployment extension benefits. I have no pity for those on unemployment, especially the younger and healthier ones who can get a job.

Right, we didn't elect a savior but it seems like we elected Satan instead, when his actions are immoral and against what the majority of Americans believe in.

The sequestration led to spending cuts that has hurt hard working Americans but has not hurt the ones working for the Federal government which seems like wellfare. Because of the large number of employees that work for the government, you could say that he bought his re-election. Instead of cutting back Federal workers, he offers them early retirement with no penalties. For example, I know someone who has worked for the government for 30 years and is 50 years old. She can retire now and get the same retirement benefits as she would if she was 60 years old with 30 years of experience. No where in the private industry do you get those benefits....you don't hear about that in the media, because it would confirm what an idiot Obama is.
I am glad you added that about sequestration, Tom. I left that out, and I left
out about the unemployment too.

I wanted to let you know that from what I understand, in the NYC Police
Department, after 20 years, they can retire. They have enormous pensions
because they do that extreme overtime in their last few years.

I am not sure if they can collect it though if they are under the retirement age,
and that probably was your point. But they do get another job while they are
still young and that means another pension.

Also, in NYC, because of the extreme tactics of the Transit union for the
subways, they get very good pensions. It seems that New Yorkers
who take the subways have to pay for one worker on the job and one worker
who is retired.

As you said, that is true of a lot of Government jobs.

Jul 06 new
(quote) Ray-914631 said:

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill.

I wish that weren't true, Ray. After all, who would vote for a person with
almost no experience. And I am not sure that Community Organizing
would count as experience.

If I went for a job and put Community Organizing down on a resume, I
think I would be laughed at.

You can put money on it that Obama got in because of the color of his
skin. And that spells racism to me.
Jul 06 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Sadly, you voted for a man who is AGAINST the three issues listed. Life, marriage & family, and authentic human freedom.
Well stated. Is a practicing thief a nice man because he helps an aged lady across the street? God sees things in black and white, Christ said, "no man can serve two masters", "you are either for me or against me".

The only time grey pops up is when we talk about how to serve Him.. i.e. shades of white ;)
Posts 31 - 40 of 164