Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

What are your thoughts on this? When my dad joined a widowed support group through the church at age 68, it did wonders for him. The group offered parties, trips, volunteer work. He traveled quite a bit and really enjoyed the trips; cruises, etc. Now he's slowing down a little (87) and can't really handle long trips any more.

I can understand people who can't travel due to health or financial reasons, but if someone never wants to go anywhere, I don't know how to process that. I think a change of scenery can be healthy sometimes. If the fear of flying is an issue, you can drive or take a train, but some chose not to.

I know of a few younger people who never like to travel and I find them to be a bit cynical. Thoughts?
Jul 6th 2013 new

I don't know if this counts,,,,,,but I just traveled all the way to Wendy's and then traveled all the way back,,,,I'm pooped....
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

I don't know if this counts,,,,,,but I just traveled all the way to Wendy's and then traveled all the way back,,,,I'm pooped....
If the Wendy's was located in another state, it counts!

Neighborhood Wendy's - nah, no good. scratchchin
Jul 6th 2013 new
Wendy: Sometimes as people get older (especially in your dad's age bracket) they just don't feel like going anywhere. They could have a physical problem or perhaps they feel that they have had enough of the sightseeing venues. Just be patient with your Dad. Also, you may want to have him checked over by a doctor to see if it is a physical or mental problem. Good-luck with your Dad.
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Maria-963080 said: Wendy: Sometimes as people get older (especially in your dad's age bracket) they just don't feel like going anywhere. They could have a physical problem or perhaps they feel that they have had enough of the sightseeing venues. Just be patient with your Dad. Also, you may want to have him checked over by a doctor to see if it is a physical or mental problem. Good-luck with your Dad.
Hi Maria,

Oh no, my dad is doing okay. He just isn't up to long trips anymore and it's understandable.

I was thinking more of people who are younger, healthy, have the means to do so but just never seem to want to go anywhere.
Jul 6th 2013 new
Julie,

I know many people that aren't big travelers. Some people travel so much for work that they are just glad to be home. We have become a society that wants to be on the go, go, and go some more. Not everyone is geared towards that. My dad was a test driver for Ford Motor Co. He drove hundreds of miles per day in the 60's-70's. I am grateful that he was willing to come home and drive us anywhere on vacation! When I was a kid only the wealthy and business people went by air.

Now, if someone never wants to leave their house, that's another issue. But if people are content to be involved in their church and community, get outdoors locally, etc. it might just be a choice.

Just my thoughts
Jul 6th 2013 new
Julie, I think it is really to each his own. I love to travel (even worked in the travel industry for years) however my former spouse does not, so I traveled with my kids as much as possible. He went with us a few times but was so miserable that he left. Since we flew for "free" (best airline employee perk) he usually hopped on the next flight back home while we stayed (and had a GREAT time without him). The saddest part is we made alot of "memories" without him. He also did not like to take a vacation day from work. He was very rigid and didn't like his routine disrupted. Now that he is gone we go on "vacations" (inexpensively, I get the smoking hot travel deals) and enjoy ourselves immensely. Last month we all went to Kauai and had a BLAST!! When we got back I took my daughter out for her birthday dinner and her dad wanted to come eyepopping. When she showed him our photos from the trip he was angry, even sent me three very angry texts about how much we are enjoying life without him (of course we are). People who don't like to travel are obviously missing out on "life", but that is their choice and there is nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy every minute of your travel experiences. BTW, I grew up in a family with 8 kids and parents who owned their own business so we NEVER traveled together as a family. Where did I get the travel bug? Go figure. All I know is I would like a "traveling companion" not a "homeboy".
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Julie, I think it is really to each his own. I love to travel (even worked in the travel industry for years) however my former spouse does not, so I traveled with my kids as much as possible. He went with us a few times but was so miserable that he left. Since we flew for "free" (best airline employee perk) he usually hopped on the next flight back home while we stayed (and had a GREAT time without him). The saddest part is we made alot of "memories" without him. He also did not like to take a vacation day from work. He was very rigid and didn't like his routine disrupted. Now that he is gone we go on "vacations" (inexpensively, I get the smoking hot travel deals) and enjoy ourselves immensely. Last month we all went to Kauai and had a BLAST!! When we got back I took my daughter out for her birthday dinner and her dad wanted to come . When she showed him our photos from the trip he was angry, even sent me three very angry texts about how much we are enjoying life without him (of course we are). People who don't like to travel are obviously missing out on "life", but that is their choice and there is nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy every minute of your travel experiences. BTW, I grew up in a family with 8 kids and parents who owned their own business so we NEVER traveled together as a family. Where did I get the travel bug? Go figure. All I know is I would like a "traveling companion" not a "homeboy".
I agree with you 100%. If you stay home all the time, you know what's in store. I've read where you gain more happiness on travel where you are creating memories instead of buying things.

I recently returned from Lake George in Upstate, NY. Gorgeous lake. By chance, I met a woman on the 4th of July who told me her son was a marine and was shot twice in the head on his last tour in the Middle East. He's come a long way. She gave me some of his rubber bracelets and I did notice a guy in a wheelchair nearby. Sad news, there is a website telling his story. She was a very nice woman, I never would have met her if I stayed home.

Actually, some people are better off staying home. They are sticks in the mud who like to spoil things for others. boggled
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Suzanne-930338 said: Julie,

I know many people that aren't big travelers. Some people travel so much for work that they are just glad to be home. We have become a society that wants to be on the go, go, and go some more. Not everyone is geared towards that. My dad was a test driver for Ford Motor Co. He drove hundreds of miles per day in the 60's-70's. I am grateful that he was willing to come home and drive us anywhere on vacation! When I was a kid only the wealthy and business people went by air.

Now, if someone never wants to leave their house, that's another issue. But if people are content to be involved in their church and community, get outdoors locally, etc. it might just be a choice.

Just my thoughts
Actually, one of my brothers fits the bill. He travels constantly for his job, it's a welcome break for him to be home. I can understand why.
Jul 6th 2013 new
I've had the wanderlust all my life. If I'm "on the road" I don't need to eat or sleep -- just keep going on pure adrenaline. I love it.
My mother was well-traveled but never really liked it. One time she said to me, "I've never understood this need to GO". I'm not sure which of us was more perplexed.
To each his own.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11